Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Camry (loaner) review

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 05:14 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm with mmarshall. the latest camry seems to use the cheapest plastic, when compared to previous 2 gen (only ones i have exp. with).
Old 08-08-09, 05:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The Camry is the top selling sedan in the US, a sales position that the competition would love to occupy. Fortunately the attributes that really matter are still near the top, and the recent sales history speaks for itself.

Fizzboy, nice mini-review. Glad to see you could make the back-to-back comparison with your IS which is a decent benchmark with a thorough drive(s) in the loaner.
Agreed

Originally Posted by Och
Not necessarily. Not everyone who loves cars has the budget allowing them to get anything better, and in its price bracket the camry fares very well.
I also agree this gen is much better than last gen. I did find the Camry 2 generations ago to be pretty blah in regards to interiors.

Originally Posted by shyguy16
i'm with mmarshall. the latest camry seems to use the cheapest plastic, when compared to previous 2 gen (only ones i have exp. with).
Sure you do. Let me tell you I can't wait for my G/Fs lease to be up on her Altima and she is lucky I don't set it on fire first. That is a **** poor quality interior.

Old 08-08-09, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Sure you do. Let me tell you I can't wait for my G/Fs lease to be up on her Altima and she is lucky I don't set it on fire first. That is a **** poor quality interior.
Is your G/F's Altima one of the last-generation 2001-2004 models? (although normally a lease wouldn't be carried out this far) If so, I can understand you wanting to torch it. The interior on that series, especially the dash/instrument cluster, is even worse then the present Camry's. (The Altima's poor-quality dash was also shared by early-model Muranos).

Noticeable improvements were made to the Altima interior starting in 2005, and the new, second-generation Murano this year.

And, of course, I'm sure you know what caused those p***-poor Nissan interiors after 2000................Renault's Carlos Ghosn and his famous cost-cutting program, which, for a while, made Nissans look and feel like crap but saved the company from bankrupcy. Infinitis, being an upmarket brand, didn't suffer quite as much from the military-like starkness, but still were rather unimpressive for several years as well.
Old 08-08-09, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is your G/F's Altima one of the last-generation 2001-2004 models? (although normally a lease wouldn't be carried out this far) If so, I can understand you wanting to torch it. The interior on that series, especially the dash/instrument cluster, is even worse then the present Camry's. (The Altima's poor-quality dash was also shared by early-model Muranos).

Noticeable improvements were made to the Altima interior starting in 2005, and the new, second-generation Murano this year.

And, of course, I'm sure you know what caused those p***-poor Nissan interiors after 2000................Renault's Carlos Ghosn and his famous cost-cutting program, which, for a while, made Nissans look and feel like crap but saved the company from bankrupcy. Infinitis, being an upmarket brand, didn't suffer quite as much from the military-like starkness, but still were rather unimpressive for several years as well.
Its the current model which is better than last but still worst in class. The last model's interior is so horrid its embarrassing to call it an interior. More like trash can for 20 year old GM/Kia plastics.

Old 08-08-09, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Its the current model which is better than last but still worst in class. The last model's interior is so horrid its embarrassing to call it an interior. More like trash can for 20 year old GM/Kia plastics.
I figured it was probably newer than the first-gen model, but like I said, noticeable improvements were made from 2005 onwards.....apparently you agree with that. As to still being "worst-in-class" for interior quality, I think I'd have to give that to the Dodge Stratus. And the current-generation Mitsubishi Galant, especially in the lower-line trim, is not terribly impressive either. The new Camry, outside of the dash and *****, actually is not bad inside at all, but, IMO, the dash plastics and ***** are awful.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-08-09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 06:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I figured it was probably newer than the first-gen model, but like I said, noticeable improvements were made from 2005 onwards.....apparently you agree with that. As to still being "worst-in-class" for interior quality, I think I'd have to give that to the Dodge Stratus. And the current-generation Mitsubishi Galant, especially in the lower-line trim, is not terribly impressive either. The new Camry, outside of the dash and *****, is not bad inside at all, but, IMO, the dash plastics and ***** are awful.
I don't consider the Dodge Status a car. Its more like pay for pain. I need to do my Camry/Altima reviews. I did the Accord and didn't do the other 2.

Old 08-08-09, 06:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

yes, when i was in atlanta with my gs400 then a friend got a silver altima (last gen i guess) which he joked was the best he could do to get a car as similar to mine as he could. it was AWFUL inside.
Old 08-08-09, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not surprised that Toyota is pushing the 4 cylinder to look and perform better
Old 08-08-09, 10:39 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default just rented one

I got one from Hertz with 11 miles on it 2 weeks back. I kept it for 2 weeks. I liked everything about it, but the deal killer and why I would never buy one, the freaking center dash at night. BOY is it ugly and cheap looking, reminds me of one of those poorly illuminated EMERSON or other cheap electronics manufacturer. Ugly and poorly thought out controls. My family has had nothing but Accords and Camrys and if they just changed that damn center dash they would have another winner, the exterior is very good and its still well put together even if you can't get one built in Japan (we always make a point to get Japaneese built ones when possible)

I went over every nook and cranny and hated the silver plastic and hard plastics on the door inserts. We still have a 99 Camry going strong, nothing fancy but so realiable (yes its even the gold color everyone else has)

Last edited by toy4two; 08-08-09 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 08:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
silver, silver, and more silver plastic (ugh)

Old 08-09-09, 10:43 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
silver, silver, and more silver plastic (ugh)

yup, and not only is it cheap and hollow feeling, the one i sat in had poor alignment and fitment.
Old 08-09-09, 06:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a reliable but boring family hauler with pretense of 'sport'. plastic lower body trim add-ons ftl.

the camry is the car for people who hate cars. very reliable. very inconspicuous. use it, and forget about it.
And this is exactly why it's one of the best selling cars.

Not everyone wants a performance vehicle or can afford one and this car meets all of the Point A to Point B needs well. I had one also as a rental (last gen) and was actually impressed with it for the price point.
Old 08-09-09, 09:37 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im fine with the dash in the camry, at least it looks modern and up to date. I prefer the digital climate control (which i know is not standard). My C350 which costs twice as much still uses dials.
Old 08-09-09, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
And this is exactly why it's one of the best selling cars.
i agree, but the cost cutting can eventually catch up with them. the DESIGN of that interior looks decent, but it's the materials that are bad. now sure, tons of people don't really care 'that much' but if something comes along with a much nicer interior with similar attributes it can begin to eat away at a market leader.

Not everyone wants a performance vehicle or can afford one and this car meets all of the Point A to Point B needs well. I had one also as a rental (last gen) and was actually impressed with it for the price point.
a camry is pleasant to drive, no question. many cars are ok to rent though. but to live with for years, different story. but again, some people don't care. for me, i want the interior to feel either sporty or at least a bit pampering.
Old 08-09-09, 09:44 PM
LexFather

I still think the dash is fine and call me nuts but I like the odd blueish hue on the center console in the SE model I get to drive. I won't call it class leading but it doesn't bug me. A lot of the switches and the console shifter seem out the old Lexus parts bin.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camry (loaner) review