Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Camry (loaner) review

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09 | 09:44 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a camry is pleasant to drive, no question. many cars are ok to rent though. but to live with for years, different story. but again, some people don't care. for me, i want the interior to feel either sporty or at least a bit pampering.
I don't disagree with you at all Paul....I didn't say that I'd actually ever own one....just that it meets the requirements of a lot of people. Keep in mind that the car enthusiast is actually in the minority.
Old 08-09-09 | 10:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I don't disagree with you at all Paul....I didn't say that I'd actually ever own one....just that it meets the requirements of a lot of people. Keep in mind that the car enthusiast is actually in the minority.
yup, we're agreeing.

McDonald's is extremely popular too...
Old 08-10-09 | 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, we're agreeing.

McDonald's is extremely popular too...
Exactly, McDonalds=crap food for the masses.

Getting too obsessed with sales crowns is not good, I remember the Ford Tortoise at the top of the sales crown/garbage heap for years. Delivering the best cars gets you to top tier regardless.
Old 08-10-09 | 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly, McDonalds=crap food for the masses.

Getting too obsessed with sales crowns is not good, I remember the Ford Tortoise at the top of the sales crown/garbage heap for years. Delivering the best cars gets you to top tier regardless.
Mac's actually does some good-tasting stuff....fish sandwich, french fries, ice cream, salads, but you're right....much of their stuff is junk. I eat the fish sandwiches (minus the tartar sauce) myself, but generally avoid ice cream and fries for health reasons.

The Taurus (I haven't heard the term "Tortise" before, but it apparantly is a slang term), actually battled it out with the Accord and Camry for the top-selling spot for years. During the 1990's, the three cars literally did a merry-go-round for much of the decade. Taurus sales were helped by a lot of fleet-orders; with the Camry and Accord it was less clear. The 1995 restyling of the Taurus, which was controversial and many considered ugly, hurt its sales a little after that, and gave its two rivals a lead. That's why the next-generation 2000 restyling was more conventional.
Old 08-10-09 | 01:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The Taurus (I haven't heard the term "Tortise" before, but it apparantly is a slang term), actually battled it out with the Accord and Camry for the top-selling spot for years. During the 1990's, the three cars literally did a merry-go-round for much of the decade. Taurus sales were helped by a lot of fleet-orders; with the Camry and Accord it was less clear. The 1995 restyling of the Taurus, which was controversial and many considered ugly, hurt its sales a little after that, and gave its two rivals a lead. That's why the next-generation 2000 restyling was more conventional.
Yes, fleet sales and rental car sales (all zero to low profit) propped up the Tortoise sales back then, allowing Ford to keep the sales crown for many years. Having driven these mediocre cars extensively (both as rental and company cars) as well as their Honda/Toyota competition, it's no surprise that Toyota (Camry) is at the top.
Old 08-10-09 | 06:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I agree with you 100%, the current Camry is defenately a big improvement over the previous gen, but the 92 Camry was best.
its Toyota story, they really slipped in early 2000's but people caught up to it later on and latest models got called up for it and its not even their fault