Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So the s5 is underpowered? What if audi ads a snail or two?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 09:00 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So the s5 is underpowered? What if audi ads a snail or two?

Audi has something called Project Anniversario to celebrate the anniversary of...something.

Yes, well the anniversary would have been Audi's centennial this year (2009) but the project has been delayed somewhat due to the financial crisis that has hit the automotive industry.

So what Audi is planning for Project Anniversario is a super S5 Quattro for 2012.

The car will likely take some inspiration from the old Quattro S1 Rallye in terms of styling and may come with a twin-turbo juiced V6 with somewhere around 425 bhp or a variation on the current TT RS's 2.5 liter, turbocharged 5-cylinder, dialed up to about 400 bhp.

The new S5 will be lighter, shaving about 240 kg off the standard S5, and weighing in at about 1400 kg (3086 lbs). This will be achieved by using light-weight body panels, shorter overhangs (like on the Quattro S1 Rallye) as well as lighter parts for the drivetrain.

The artist's rendering features wings, bonnet inlets and a rear spoiler, all who's design is influenced by the S1.

A reliable guess is that the Project Anniversario S5 will make its debut sometime around the end of 2010, as a celebration of the original Quattro's 30th anniversary. But the car won't make it to showrooms until the following year as a 2012 model.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/10908072...ro-due-in-2012
Old 08-07-09, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Sounds promising

Old 08-07-09, 11:21 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds wayyyy better
Old 08-07-09, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If Audi wants to bump up the S5's power, fine (and can do it with the future CAFE rules), but, given the S5's current weight class, and even the fact that it is not as fast as some BMW M cars and Mercedes AMG's, it's hard to argue that, that with well over 300 HP, the current S5 is underpowered.

It is also, IMO (though this is, of course, not a power issue), better-looking, style-wise, than any BMW or Mercedes. I consider it a beautiful car.....all except for the too-large grille.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-07-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-07-09, 01:40 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If Audi wants to bump up the S5's power, fine (and can do it with the future CAFE rules), but, given the S5's current weight class, and even the fact that it is not as fast as some BMW M cars and Mercedes AMG's, it's hard to argue that, that with well over 300 HP, the current S5 is underpowered.

It is also, IMO (though this is, of course, not a power issue), better-looking, style-wise, than any BMW or Mercedes. I consider it a beautiful car.....all except for the too-large grille.

S5 competes more with the 335 than the M3
Old 08-07-09, 01:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
yup, i have always say it that way. if anything their price "competes" with m3, which doesn't make it any more favorable

this new setup sounds very promising
Old 08-07-09, 01:59 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not according to it's price tag. Up here, the current S5 fully loaded is $5K more than my fully loaded IS F.

For that kind of ching it is dramatically underpowered. If you're going to price in the same range as the F, C63 and M3 it needs much more than just power.

If they came out with this new version and it was priced competitively then it might be worth noting. However, I foresee the same thing happening as with the RS4. It was just around $95K fully loaded which was ridiculous compared to the other 3 that are all $15-25K cheaper.
Old 08-07-09, 02:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Not according to it's price tag. Up here, the current S5 fully loaded is $5K more than my fully loaded IS F.

For that kind of ching it is dramatically underpowered. If you're going to price in the same range as the F, C63 and M3 it needs much more than just power.

If they came out with this new version and it was priced competitively then it might be worth noting. However, I foresee the same thing happening as with the RS4. It was just around $95K fully loaded which was ridiculous compared to the other 3 that are all $15-25K cheaper.
true, i wonder how this new "s5" will be priced. when i was looking at s5 at the end of last year, i saw a few brand new rs4 in the show room. when i saw msrp of 85-87k i almost puke... i had to read twice to be sure

but of course, on the windshield, they had this big *** sign saying "now only 53/55k" and that's before people negotiate with dealership? i laughed...
Old 08-07-09, 02:34 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

Audi awhile back had this idea, in order to compete with the competition they needed to raise their prices, that is what they did

RS5 will compete with the M3, just that it will be more expensive than the M3
Old 08-07-09, 04:20 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I happen to believe the S5 price is going to come down some.
Reliability issues, competition and the economy should cause a price adjustment. ANy of these issues alone wouldn't be a consideration but all of them together has to have an effect on sales.
Old 08-07-09, 04:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Audi awhile back had this idea, in order to compete with the competition they needed to raise their prices, that is what they did

RS5 will compete with the M3, just that it will be more expensive than the M3
haha, not sure if that's such a bright idea