Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does Lexus offer this service for nav equipped vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 12:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does Lexus offer this service for nav equipped vehicles?

I went on google today to try out the Google maps feature on the new i-drive. I sent two business listings from my pc to the car.. Very beneficial service for the professional and those who don't have time to fiddle with gadgets. Once on google, I noticed that Mercedes Benz offers a similar service:

You can send business listings found in Google Maps to a number of different navigation devices. Click on the name of your vehicle or device below for more information.

Send to my Mercedes

This service allows you to send business listings found in Google Maps to Mercedes Benz vehicles equipped with Search&Send. Simply search for a business on Google Maps and send the listing to your car. Your in-car navigation system can automatically provide directions to this business location, or you can use the phone number directly from your mobile phone.

How can I send business listings to my car?
Just search for a business in Google Maps and click on the Send link in the orange bar at the top-right corner of the map. Choose the 'Car' option, select Mercedes-Benz, enter your Tele Aid e-mail address, and press Send.

When you get into your car, simply press the Tele Aid 'i' button to complete the download of your address to your vehicle's navigation system. If you send more than one address, you will need to press the 'i' button once for each address you wish to download (Note: the addresses will download in the same order they were sent). You can immediately start route guidance, or save the destination information for future use. Remember, if you have multiple Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped and activated for Tele Aid, each address you send will be retrievable by all vehicles associated with the e-mail address you specified in your Tele Aid account.

Where does it work?
Our send-to-car feature is currently enabled for businesses in the US and Canada, but you can only send listings to select Mercedes-Benz US cars enabled with Search&Send.

Do I have to pay anything to send business listings to my car?
Absolutely not. This feature is automatically included as part of your Tele Aid subscription service. Neither Google nor Mercedes-Benz will charge you for any destinations sent.

What if I don't want my car to receive destinations from Google Maps?
The Search&Send service can be disabled by contacting Tele Aid Customer Care at 1-800-756-9018. Disabling Search&Send will prevent destinations from being downloaded by your vehicle, but will still allow the use of all other Tele Aid services.

For more information about the Mercedes-Benz Search&Send service, please visit the Search&Send web site http://www.searchandsend.com
Does Lexus offer a similar service on its newer models? I think it is a great feature for luxury vehicles.
Old 08-07-09, 12:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

http://www.lexus.com/models/HSh/acce...riesEnform0809

available on cars assembled after August 1, 2009 (except SC). Free for the first year, subscription after
Old 08-07-09, 12:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
http://www.lexus.com/models/HSh/acce...riesEnform0809

available on cars assembled after August 1, 2009 (except SC). Free for the first year, subscription after
Thanks for the link. I read page 13 on of the pdf on the site & Lexus offers it through a dedicated website. Cars are becoming more advanced for sure..
Old 08-07-09, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if it's free it's cool, but with subscription fee i am not sure if it's still as attractive
Old 08-07-09, 02:02 PM
RXSF

honestly, how hard is it to write the directions on a post-it and type it into the car. lol. I dont see myself renewing enform for this service alone
Old 08-07-09, 02:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

honestly, how hard is it to write the directions on a post-it and type it into the car. lol. I dont see myself renewing enform for this service alone
that's what i think too. and it doesn't take more than a min at most to put in the address
Old 08-07-09, 08:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I heard Enform is included for the first year...
Old 08-07-09, 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if it's free it's cool, but with subscription fee i am not sure if it's still as attractive
we pay $100/mo. for cell phone service but aren't willing to pay anything for car communications? i understand where you're coming from though and expect almost everyone feels as you do, but a monthly service plan for cars is coming and inevitable. since most people have a finance payment, what's the big deal of adding, say, $30/mo. for additional features if they're of value? maybe not this feature, but what about if the nav system can constantly upgrade itself? all of a sudden a monthly fee might be cheaper than stupid expensive dvd's, plus the convenient of it being ALWAYS up to date.

of course that also means TWO WAY communication (which of course many cars already have). privacy activists will complain and millions of users TODAY drive around in blissful ignorance.

that's like saying how hard is it to use a map (we had someone on CL saying all navs are stupid before ) or how hard is it to pull into a gas station and use a skanky public phone instead of a cell phone?
Old 08-07-09, 08:56 PM
RXSF

that's like saying how hard is it to use a map (we had someone on CL saying all navs are stupid before ) or how hard is it to pull into a gas station and use a skanky public phone instead of a cell phone?
lol, thats different. but i see what your saying. Plus, i would never put a pay phone to my ear ever, all the germies
Old 08-07-09, 10:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So you read through 13 pages manual to figure this out? And you dont have time to fiddle with gadgets?

Easier to just punch address into nav, imo.
Old 08-07-09, 10:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what iphones are for.

Just use the google map on the iphone and type the address in the navigation.

Well, to be honest, I have to use iphone to search business listing because icrash search function is rather useless.
Old 08-07-09, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we pay $100/mo. for cell phone service but aren't willing to pay anything for car communications? i understand where you're coming from though and expect almost everyone feels as you do, but a monthly service plan for cars is coming and inevitable. since most people have a finance payment, what's the big deal of adding, say, $30/mo. for additional features if they're of value? maybe not this feature, but what about if the nav system can constantly upgrade itself? all of a sudden a monthly fee might be cheaper than stupid expensive dvd's, plus the convenient of it being ALWAYS up to date.

of course that also means TWO WAY communication (which of course many cars already have). privacy activists will complain and millions of users TODAY drive around in blissful ignorance.

i don't agree. i don't compare things according to absolute cost value. i pair it together with the practicality, usefulness, etc... and see if i can justify the cost

it's just like saying i spend 80k on a car that i like no problem. but with that said, i am still debating on iphone. some people ask me what's the big deal, it's just 200 bucks. yup, it's only 200 bucks, not that i am going to cry over it. but still i have to feel that it's worth it in order to "spend" it. to some they are, just like the 2000 dollars LV bag. but if i don't think it's worth it, even if it's 100 bucks i won't pay for it

of course the service will bring convenience (otherwise it will be a real complete waste of money), but is it enough for me to justify the price? at this point my answer is no

not to mention, i pay 40 bucks for phone now only and i am still debating if it makes sense at all to pay another 30 bucks a month for data plan when 90% of my time i have internet access somewhere else
Old 08-07-09, 11:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
That's what iphones are for.

Just use the google map on the iphone and type the address in the navigation.
+1. Feature seems redundant. A toy just to show off to your friends IMO.
Old 08-07-09, 11:19 PM
RXSF

I can see it being only useful if you were taking a cross country road trip and you were going to make planned stops along the way. maybe 15+ stops. then i can see it making sense to just send them to the car. but how many of those trips do you make in a lifetime, and again, you can just enter it by hand, takes no more than 2 minutes each