Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The vehicle you love to hate...lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 12:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that still hate the X6, might I ask: have you gone & drivin or even sat in one? Or are you making these statements from looking at pix, 'cause I've got to tell you, in person it's so much different than in pictures.
Old 08-09-09, 01:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ agreed, i had the SR X6 for 2 days and it was great driving it. and i turned quite a lot of heads in my 2 days of driving it (being modified helps).
Old 08-09-09, 03:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
For those of you that still hate the X6, might I ask: have you gone & drivin or even sat in one? Or are you making these statements from looking at pix, 'cause I've got to tell you, in person it's so much different than in pictures.
my neighbor just got one last week and i have been seeing it every. i just can't get over the look at all i am sure it will drive like other bmw, but i'd take x5 any day
Old 08-09-09, 05:23 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I've never driven a Pontiac Aztek or Acura ZDX either, but I still don't like them. An X6 may drive as well as a 5 series, but I don't need to drive it to know that it has little utility over the aforementioned 5 series yet is ugly as sin.

Cayenne GTS if you want a sporty SUV with actual utility.
Old 08-09-09, 06:22 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I've never driven a Pontiac Aztek or Acura ZDX either, but I still don't like them. An X6 may drive as well as a 5 series, but I don't need to drive it to know that it has little utility over the aforementioned 5 series yet is ugly as sin.

Cayenne GTS if you want a sporty SUV with actual utility.
Ugliness is a subjective quality. Like I mentioned initially, this is a very polarizing vehicle.

I do agree that it does lack utility when compared to an X5, but for my retired parents and their smallish dog, it's all they need. However, to compare it to a 5 series as far as utility is a stretch. It does handle like a regular 5, but the ground clearance alone makes it a much better choice for our Canadian winters. I literally could not drive my F down his street last winter due to the ridiculous tire grooves that resulted from big snows. A regular 5 isn't much better....I know, because their neighbour has one and can't move it some days.
Old 08-09-09, 07:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Ugliness is a subjective quality. Like I mentioned initially, this is a very polarizing vehicle.

I do agree that it does lack utility when compared to an X5, but for my retired parents and their smallish dog, it's all they need. However, to compare it to a 5 series as far as utility is a stretch. It does handle like a regular 5, but the ground clearance alone makes it a much better choice for our Canadian winters. I literally could not drive my F down his street last winter due to the ridiculous tire grooves that resulted from big snows. A regular 5 isn't much better....I know, because their neighbour has one and can't move it some days.
Yeah but the X5 will be much better in snow also.

And 5 series wagon xi with proper tires will probably be better as well.
Old 08-09-09, 07:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Allow me to clarify what we mean in BC when we say 'there was a stupid amount of snow this past winter' ... we mean, if you were in a car, you were screwed because you would just push snow until you had such a massive wall in front of you that you got completely stuck. No amount of AWD was going to help you. This past winter you needed ground clearance.
Old 08-09-09, 07:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Allow me to clarify what we mean in BC when we say 'there was a stupid amount of snow this past winter' ... we mean, if you were in a car, you were screwed because you would just push snow until you had such a massive wall in front of you that you got completely stuck. No amount of AWD was going to help you. This past winter you needed ground clearance.
Well the ground clearance on the X6 is nothing spectacular, and with ridiculously wide tires you'll be struggling for grip. Get a Range Rover
Old 08-09-09, 07:52 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well the ground clearance on the X6 is nothing spectacular, and with ridiculously wide tires you'll be struggling for grip. Get a Range Rover
Ok, I think I will; wait a minute...

Hey does anyone know if the X6 has ride heights? I've never bothered to find out.
Old 08-09-09, 07:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
And that's dirty work in the deep snow of the Sierras, so I use my Jeep. The Lexus and Benz enjoy sunshine 300 days/year.
Old 08-09-09, 08:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Seriously, if I could afford to buy and pay for seemingly frequent repairs on a Range Rover, I'd be all over one.

Theres just something about them, maybe its just watching too much Top Gear, but I would just love me a RR Sport.
Old 08-09-09, 08:44 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

If I may.

Number of repairs on my FFRR so far: 1 & it was covered as a recall that may or may not have ever caused me issue.

Rover does need brakes for this winter tho & I'm thinking of some big *** fat snows
Old 08-09-09, 08:58 PM
LexFather

I was trying to avoid this but its still at the top of this forum

I started a thread awhile back saying I "get" the idea of these types of vehicles and CDNRockies example makes sense. Its a small niche who wants SUV type clearance in a sportier package in a SUV size vehicle.

Dare I say the grey one SF posted doesn't make me puke? Its not tooo bad to me No I am not PWI. It seems (oh dear) pretty okay.

At least his pops got the real deal X6 and didn't wait for the uglier knock-off ZDX thing thats coming.

Old 08-09-09, 11:16 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I started a thread awhile back saying I "get" the idea of these types of vehicles and CDNRockies example makes sense. Its a small niche who wants SUV type clearance in a sportier package in a SUV size vehicle.

Dare I say the grey one SF posted doesn't make me puke? Its not tooo bad to me No I am not PWI. It seems (oh dear) pretty okay.

At least his pops got the real deal X6 and didn't wait for the uglier knock-off ZDX thing thats coming.
HA! hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That X6 is just damn awesome for converting the X6 haters

That's where it sarts Mike, you think it's ok... then you see one on the road and you're like 'ya know ...' ... then you go sit in one and you're like *hmmmm* ... teeeheee (do we have a devil smily guy?)
Old 08-09-09, 11:59 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I agree that this vehicle is very niche and not for everyone, however I do find the "utility" argument amusing.

There is a whole list of cute utes that have even less utility but continue to sell well and seem to avoid such rabid criticism. The X3, GLK, Q5, etc. are all ridiculously small and underpowered to be true "utility" vehicles.

Oh and btw Mike, there is ZERO chance that he'd be in anything but a BMW after having driven one for the past 15 years...lol.

Quick Reply: The vehicle you love to hate...lol