Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Modding at 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 03:34 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

inside of every grown man, there will always be a kid trapped inside...simple as that. The difference between men and boys is the speed of their toys
Old 08-10-09, 03:56 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll mod my car as long as I can. Like others have stated, it'll be more subtle but still modified.

Parents will always be parents. No need to get on the op for communicating with his mom. I don't see it as being a mommas boy at all. It's not like she pays for everything.
Old 08-10-09, 04:06 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 40-something friends also think it's time to put away the modding thing. I don't care what they think.
I don't ask my mom for permission to do anything. I just happened to be discussing buying new wheels and she gave her opinion. I don't ever want that to stop. My mom loves me and wants the best for me. If she is concerned about something, I'd be hurt that she didn't say anything.
You can bet you last dollar I will tell her what I think about what she does.

I'm sorry if some of you are not close with your mom. You don't know what you're missing.

At least I see that many of you feel as I do, we will mod as long as we want...or can continue to afford it.
The most important lady of my life, my wife is all for it. She thinks it keeps me young. She doesn't know that cartoons keep me young.
Old 08-10-09, 04:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is too funny, but feel free to mod at 50+ with some discretion of course.

And look at the bright side, mods are cheaper than divorces, child support, substance abuse, gambling......................
Old 08-10-09, 04:28 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Do not talk to mom period. Mom wants you to have your veggies, ditch the stripper, and marry the "safe" girl. *&*%$(@
Old 08-10-09, 04:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm willing to give Mom some credit, she's no dummy.
Old 08-10-09, 04:46 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yuh..... 50 is about the time the midlife crisis hits you.
Old 08-10-09, 04:48 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
inside of every grown man, there will always be a kid trapped inside...simple as that. The difference between men and boys is the speed of their toys

I will forever be a man child.

I think I will always mod cars. Keep it clean but not stock.
Old 08-10-09, 04:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At 50, hell at 40, it should be more about modifying the home more so than a car. Just buy a car that tickles your fancy instead of dumping money trying to make a into something it is not. A lot of 50 somethings are tooling around in Corvettes & the like instead of cut & paste creations.
Old 08-10-09, 05:04 PM
lexphin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`m 49 my is350 is the first modified car I`ve owned since my 2nd hand `71 chevy malibu I had when I was 17. So far I`ve done lighting, springs, sways, intake and exhaust all very subltle yet noticeable changes. Guess I`m going thru a mid-life crisis LOL, I really enjoy driving again and this is my "fun" car, not my daily driver although it could easily be one. One of my other hobbies is hi-end two-channel audio, and by comparisson I`ve spent WAYYYY more on it than modding my car. I guess it`s a male thing, mothers and most women in general don`t get our passion, and I dont understand their passion for shoes, handbags, jewelry and other chotchkis. Modding my car and hi-end audio are my hobbies, hobbies are EXPENSIVE. I also have many intrests. Intrests are FREE. My intrests include spotting lesbians, toupees and fake *****. LOL!!!!!!

Last edited by lexphin; 08-10-09 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 05:14 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexphin
I`m 49 my is350 is the first modified car I`ve owned since my 2nd hand `71 chevy malibu I had when I was 17. So far I`ve done lighting, springs, sways, intake and exhaust all very subltle yet noticeable changes. Guess I`m going thru a mid-life crisis LOL, I really enjoy driving again and this is my "fun" car, not my daily driver although it could easily be one. One of my other hobbies is hi-end two-channel audio, and by comparisson I`ve spent WAYYYY more on it than modding my car. I guess it`s a male thing, mothers and most women in general don`t get our passion, and I dont understand their passion for shoes, handbags, jewelry and other chotchkis.
Finally, someone to relate with.
Yeah, that's what I should do, get a toy to mod and leave the Lexus alone. I also spent a lot of money on my other interests and that why mom trips out sometimes. My jewely collction used to be huge but I sold off many items. I kept 4 really sweet rings but that bug has died. I will get another braclet and neckchain but I'm set for rings. I wish I had kept the watches and other rings but se la vie.

I want some 5 spoke wheels for the GS and maybe a kit but that's a big maybe. After that, I'm looking for a toy to mod. That will satisfy my thirst.
Old 08-10-09, 07:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

ITs pretty funny.. I've seen you get a different set of wheels within a few months of each other and another GS for the wifey.. I say go ahead and mod at 50.. Maybe i would ditch the GS and move up into a IS-F.. Sounds to me you want a little more fun out of the automobile and why not shoot for the IS-F that comes slighty modded and enough HP to smoke the other 50 yr. olds in the there vettes.. LOL...

GL...
Old 08-10-09, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tzu911
Do not talk to mom period. Mom wants you to have your veggies, ditch the stripper, and marry the "safe" girl. *&*%$(@
Why not? All three of Mom's suggestions there make a LOT of sense.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm willing to give Mom some credit, she's no dummy.
+1. While you may be correct from a legal, personal, and subjective standpoint, that modding is your affair and not hers, she has, nevertheless, made an excellent point. That 100K (what she estimates you spent on modding) could have gone a long way, invested in an IRA, 401K, or tax-free investments like municipal bonds. You've got your retirement to plan for.....at age 50, it's coming up sooner than you think, and Social Security alone (if that's going to be the case) won't hack it. Still, it's not too late to start saving now, even if you have not done so in the past.
Old 08-10-09, 07:32 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm almost 50 and still modding........
Old 08-10-09, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
I'm almost 50 and still modding........
That's fine, if you have the money for it and don't neglect your savings for the future.

Quick Reply: Modding at 50