Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Modding at 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 02:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Modding at 50

I was talking to my mom recently, telling her I would be getting some new wheels soon and she went off on me.
Mom was tripping, saying that I'm 50 yrs old now and should stop spending so much on cars and wheels. She said that stuff is for kids and not mature family men. She did some quick adding and speculated I'd be 100K richer if I didn't spend so much on cars.

My reply was that as long as I pay my bills and put away a little something, I should be able to do what I want. I told her I have toned it down, I'm not into fully modded cars anymore but I will always change wheels and beef up the music. I don't see anything immature about it and in fact, it's a hobby more for mature people because kids can't always afford to mod their car right. I do agree I would have much more money saved if not for my love of cars (I have changed cars more than I should the last 20 years).....but that's my thing. I love nice cars and always have.

My question is: WIll you mod your car when you're 50?
Old 08-10-09, 02:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, sorry, but

LMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 08-10-09, 02:43 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Dude, sorry, but

LMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I guess I'm too old to know what you're saying, please explain.
Old 08-10-09, 02:50 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, is this a joke?

Why would you talk to your mom about modding cars when you are 50?
Old 08-10-09, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok, seriously, you are 50 and your mom is still "babying" you that way? my parents see all my cars and they never say a word, they know my judgment

in any case, i am pretty even when i am 50 i will still mod my cars. it's just my habit, my passion. it's like asking me if i get a new house, would i live in it as is (plain) or if i would paint the walls, get some decos, etc...
Old 08-10-09, 02:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I guess I'm too old to know what you're saying, please explain.
"Laughing my ************ *** off"

Oh and hell yes I'll be modding till I'm dead lol
Old 08-10-09, 02:54 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Parents will be parents I'll probably do minor mods as I get older, but it'll be the same extent as what I'm doing now (mild drop + wheels)
Old 08-10-09, 02:57 PM
exodus_2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol well i'll just say i won't stop modding my car until a point that i can't really drive the car(i'll probably still moding my son's car or something when im at that age...)but yeah i might change a lil on my taste of modding car when i get to your age but then again i won't ask my mom about it either. i matter how old i am my mom probably *****in at me about spending money on some usless stuff which i don't really listen anyways... it's like girls buying bags and cloth... they never stop even though they get old...
Old 08-10-09, 02:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mod, or die trying.

momma forgot she's over 70 huh....

Ice350, are you momma-whipped?

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-10-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 03:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I don't care about what anyone thinks of my mom telling me what she thinks. SHe will be my mom as long as we both live and beyond. I treat her the same way, I tell her what I think is right or wrong. Then I do what I want. My mom is a penny pincher but she also has a spending hobby that I don't agree with but that's TMI.
That's not what I'm asking.

Will you always mod?
Old 08-10-09, 03:03 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude your 50. A grown up. what your mom says now shouldn't even matter.......
Old 08-10-09, 03:12 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is nothing wrong with modding your car at the age of 50. I'll be rolling up on 40 in about 4 more years and I will still mod. I do agree with some others in saying that my future mods may be a bit more subtle(tint, lowered, wheels, music), however the way I view it I am making my car more personal for me. EVERYONE has a spending habit that SOMEONE does/doesnot agree with. I say, as long as you are not putting your mods beyond your financial means, then mod away.
Old 08-10-09, 03:15 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Do you mean you don't understand the internet slang? It means "laugh my effin azz off."

I'm sure Och is referring to the fact that you're age 50 and still catching an earful from your mom for modifying your car. But don't worry - my mom will be rolling her eyes at me when I'm 50 and she's 80, and she's having trouble getting into my lowered sports car.

However, I think by that time I'd prefer to keep the wheels/suspension of my passenger vehicle stock, and the modifications would only continue on a garage queen sports car.

Tell your mom that Paul Newman was racing modified cars (and winning) through his late 70's.
Old 08-10-09, 03:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Think of modifying a car, like playing golf. You'll always do it, but as your age changes, so does the severity of the mods or amount of golf you play does too. Thats how my friend described it to me at least haha
Old 08-10-09, 03:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Personally I dont think the OP's mother is babying him. Not sure how yall came to that conclusion. She has a slightly different opinion about modifying cars. As his mother, she should have the right to voice her opinion. Its not like he is asking for her permission or approval.

To answer your question, yes I would! My uncle modded his Mustang and another uncle of mine is in the process of modding his new FX50. They are both older than 50.

Quick Reply: Modding at 50