Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Essence on US tour. Good brand exposure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 08:21 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least they are getting some value out of the concept. Such a **** tease.
Old 08-11-09, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Ok. That's a pretty healthy dis of one of the most beautiful concept cars to ever come out a Japanese design studio. Harsh, I think.
Harsh but its the bitter reality of it Speedflex. I actually prefer the G35 coupe concept (which I found to be pretty perfect) this looks like a bulbous Mazda concept to me. Interior is hot and drivetrain specs are hot. Again, when people show great interest to buy it, they can't. They will be pointed to a lineup of 3 SUVs and 2 Car lines.

I am betting the new M37/50 will offer a coupe like the G37 does and it will have Essence cues. It makes a lot of sense to me.

What is disturbing is the most expensive car from Nissan is more than the one at Infiniti. Hell why not just re-badge the GT-R, call it an Essence and see what happens!!

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Lexus's two top selling cars that make up the majority of the brand are Camry based cars. Lexus SUVs are still based on toyotas . Even the most expensive Lexus LX. Parent companies share things. It will never change as much as you'd like to think so. Japan is the only place where the current infiniti's are still badged as nissans. And before you say that infiniti's come from the Z's FM platform, the nissan skyline 350gt (infiniti g35) was designed before the Z

The Essence is a beautiful car. If you can't even appreciate that, then why even try to describe yourself as a car enthusiast.

LV is likely hurting now because of the crappy economy. Just because its selling less, doesnt mean its image is getting hurt. If LV decided to include infiniti in their marketing, then maybe they see something you dont
When you decide to post here outside of just Nissan threads, you will get a response.

Originally Posted by skater
Infiniti has stated that this is design hints at the future they are going after. And, as expected, there is said to be some Essence-styling cues in the upcoming M.

What's so bad about touring a vehicle that hints at the future of this company?

Welcome to the world of Honda-Acura, Nissan-Infiniti, and Toyota-Lexus. Every one of these brands shares some styling cues with its mother branch. But the key here is distinguishing itself enough to be seen as exclusive. Some are just doing a better job at it than others.

I think Infiniti has been doing a good job at distinguishing itself from "just another Nissan". Just because it has a Nissan badge in its home country, doesn't make it any different. What if Lexus badged all of its current lineup as Toyota in Japan? What would change? Nothing. Besides marketing, its still the same exact vehicle, with its own distinguishable-enough styling cues.
You too.

Old 08-11-09, 10:03 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Harsh but its the bitter reality of it Speedflex. I actually prefer the G35 coupe concept (which I found to be pretty perfect) this looks like a bulbous Mazda concept to me. Interior is hot and drivetrain specs are hot. Again, when people show great interest to buy it, they can't. They will be pointed to a lineup of 3 SUVs and 2 Car lines.

I am betting the new M37/50 will offer a coupe like the G37 does and it will have Essence cues. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Well, not the bitter reality from all accounts. I don't see it your way at all so we don't share that view of reality. Neither do I see the Mazda connection. I love the car inside and out. If they built it people would definitely come but I am well aware that Infiniti has no plans on a production model. The car was always intended to be a singular expression of the brand, thus the name, Essence. I do believe that the next M, G and any other variants will be heavily influenced by the Essence and that is something I heartily approve of.

An M coupe that looks anything remotely like this concept would be fabulous. I wouldn't bet against it happening either. And while there are only the G and M today it's not likely to remain that way. A 1 series competitor is on the horizon as well. If they build a car (whether sedan or sports car) above the M in price then that will further expand the lineup. But I'm not as concerned with that as I am the continual improvement on the established products.

They need to rethink their CUV strategy. The flat sales of things like the FX and BMW X6 demonstrate that maybe the sports car SUV is an idea that went before it actually came. Mini CUV's are also a curiosity so the EX makes little sense. We'll see a new Infiniti SUV based on the next Patrol and that is, I think, where they should stop with crossovers and SUVs. Maybe if they rethought the FX and made it more of a useful vehicle they could augment the line with that. I do agree with you however, build more cars and they could do well.

Last edited by speedflex; 08-11-09 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 10:34 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, so say you get interest with the concept. Person goes to Infiniti dealership to find no such car, nothing even all that close. Person stops caring and your car tour was a complete waste.

You can only disappoint consumers so much.
Old 08-11-09, 10:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well, not the bitter reality from all accounts. I don't see it your way at all so we don't share that view of reality. Neither do I see the Mazda connection. I love the car inside and out. If they built it people would definitely come but I am well aware that Infiniti has no plans on a production model. The car was always intended to be a singular expression of the brand, thus the name, Essence. I do believe that the next M, G and any other variants will be heavily influenced by the Essence and that is something I heartily approve of.

An M coupe that looks anything remotely like this concept would be fabulous. I wouldn't bet against it happening either. And while there are only the G and M today it's not likely to remain that way. A 1 series competitor is on the horizon as well. If they build a car (whether sedan or sports car) above the M in price then that will further expand the lineup. But I'm not as concerned with that as I am the continual improvement on the established products.

They need to rethink their CUV strategy. The flat sales of things like the FX and BMW X6 demonstrate that maybe the sports car SUV is an idea that went before it actually came. Mini CUV's are also a curiosity so the EX makes little sense. We'll see a new Infiniti SUV based on the next Patrol and that is, I think, where they should stop with crossovers and SUVs. Maybe if they rethought the FX and made it more of a useful vehicle they could augment the line with that. I do agree with you however, build more cars and they could do well.
We'll see. The Infiniti Coupe Concept looked great, but the production G37 coupe is dissapointing compared to the coupe concept.

I can guarantee one thing, and that is you likely won't see the super-aggressive front and rear bumpers from the Essence make it to production due to current (and future) crash and pedestrian safety regulations.
Old 08-11-09, 10:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Ok, so say you get interest with the concept. Person goes to Infiniti dealership to find no such car, nothing even all that close. Person stops caring and your car tour was a complete waste.

You can only disappoint consumers so much.
I agree. This car tour for the Essence would only make sense if they were pulling an "LFA" sort of move, where they tour the concept gauging interest while at the same time working on the production version of the car. If the Essence is confirmed that it won't be produced, there is little point in touring the concept car. Gauging public interest really only makes sense if an automaker is serious about bringing the concept, or something close to it, to production.
Old 08-11-09, 11:31 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

I can guarantee one thing, and that is you likely won't see the super-aggressive front and rear bumpers from the Essence make it to production due to current (and future) crash and pedestrian safety regulations.

That's for sure. I hope they can retain the look without watering it down too much.
Old 08-11-09, 12:17 PM
LexFather

You're A okay in my book.

I truly hope a M50 or something coupe comes to startle things up. The SC is old, the G37/IS-c are both entry level. It would be nice to see a big body 6 series competitor from the Japanese. The G37 coupe has done TONS for the brand and I think they should build more coupes. Hell the G37coupe sells VERY well even in slow times like these.

I tell you what I give them efforts for trying and they continue to give a push.

Old 08-11-09, 01:56 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so....

am I the only one that thinks the front is a bit...
....weird?
Old 08-11-09, 02:55 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoster
so....

am I the only one that thinks the front is a bit...
....weird?
exotic is the word, and its good that they stand out and differentiate themselves. Its not going to be everybody's cup of tea, but it will definitely break necks wherever it goes.
Old 10-04-09, 06:33 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

$2.4 Million Infiniti Essence Concept Visits Suburban Detroit Louis Vuitton Store

Last night, the Infiniti Essence Concept visited the Louis Vuitton store in Troy, Michigan's Somerset Collection mall. The $2.4 million concept mixed it up with trophy wives and spikey-haired "Nouveau riche" during a champagne and hors d'œuvre-laden soiree.

The car is part of a nationwide tour by Infiniti to keep in touch with customers during 2009, since they've decided to stay out of auto shows this year. Since the car was developed with custom Louis Vuitton luggage, they're stopping at as many stores as they can and throwing a little bash for select customers and VIPs. This event was held at suburban Detroit's most pinkie-in-the-air mall, the Somerset Collection, which houses luxury stores including LV, Armani, Burberry and Brooks Brothers. We were tempted to do a brake stand in the parking lot as we left.

*source
http://jalopnik.com/5372915/24-milli...-vuitton-store
Old 10-04-09, 09:32 AM
LexFather

I think it looks FANTASTIC from this angle!

I still have a bet a M37/56 coupe is coming!!!

Old 10-04-09, 11:03 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I wish I was a billionaire. I would just buy concept cars.
Old 10-04-09, 11:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It looks very muscular. I like it a lot!!
Old 10-04-09, 07:12 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

This concept really does look great! On a sidenote, the red suede on the drivers side door is dirty