Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 10:28 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Ford Mustang

One day I drove by Galpin Ford when a grabber blue Mustang caught my eye. It looked completely unlike the crap Ford has been putting out for the past decade.
Then every radio station in Los Angeles has Ford commercials telling you to "drive the Ford difference." The ad campaign worked, I grabbed my bro and we headed down to the local dealer to check it out.
I got to test drive the new 2010 Mustang and I am very impressed for two reasons.

1. Sound- The deep throaty growl came alive as soon as I fired it up. It is a very visceral sound.

2. Interior- It has the same brushed aluminum and soft leathery materials as my IS250. Unlike a Lexus, I can sit straight up in the driver's seat. Backup camera and SatNav are available as options.

It drives like any other car, as far as I can tell because I had to keep it on surface streets. The Mustang may have a reputation for poor handling but I found that it can negotiate turns at 15 mph just fine. I like it and I am considering getting one as long as Ford offers a decent warranty on it.
What do you all think? What do you like and dislike about the Mustang?
Old 08-10-09, 10:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

God luck with that.

I had the displeasure of driving the lest generation mustang on several vacations and I have to say it was a disappointment and even if the car was light years ahead in its newest version it would still be behind.
Old 08-10-09, 11:31 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

The new Mustang GT is aesthetically pleasing to my eyes
Old 08-11-09, 01:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I think the 2010 refresh looks very good. It makes the car look more modern and less retro. There is also an all new V6 coming in 2011 that will be ten times better than the one now. Overall, an improving vehicle, but I do believe there is better out there.
Old 08-11-09, 03:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the new mustang is a decent car. The GT sounds great, it's pretty quick, gets decent mileage, and it's fairly reliable. In the end, though, it's not one of Fords highest quality cars. They're what I would call a pretty "cool" car.
Old 08-11-09, 05:46 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
God luck with that.

I had the displeasure of driving the lest generation mustang on several vacations and I have to say it was a disappointment and even if the car was light years ahead in its newest version it would still be behind.
You can upgrade a stang as well, clearly your GS was not that great off the lot either as you dumped a ton of cash into the suspension
Old 08-11-09, 08:19 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the 2010 Ford Mustang and the Fusion are both very impressive. I'd wait for the new set of engines though.
Old 08-11-09, 08:26 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The GT sounds great, it's pretty quick, gets decent mileage, and it's fairly reliable. In the end, though, it's not one of Fords highest quality cars.
Does Ford make a high quality car? It seems like the Mustang is as good as it is ever going to get despite it's live rear axle from the dinosaur days.
Old 08-11-09, 09:25 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Haitwun
Does Ford make a high quality car? It seems like the Mustang is as good as it is ever going to get despite it's live rear axle from the dinosaur days.
Maybe you haven't heard. I hate to sound cliche, but, have you driven a Ford lately? Yes, The Fusion, current model Taurus, and certainly the newest model Taurus are all high quality cars, right up there with Toyota and Honda. The reliability of the Fusion ranks right up there with Camry and Accord.
Old 08-11-09, 03:06 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Aftermarket support is huge with Mustangs also, You can do some nice engine upgrades for very little.
Old 08-11-09, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Mustang may have a reputation for poor handling but I found that it can negotiate turns at 15 mph just fine.
15 MPH in turns? Be careful speeding like that.....you might spin it out.
Old 08-11-09, 06:37 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Maybe you haven't heard. I hate to sound cliche, but, have you driven a Ford lately? Yes, The Fusion, current model Taurus, and certainly the newest model Taurus are all high quality cars, right up there with Toyota and Honda. The reliability of the Fusion ranks right up there with Camry and Accord.
Don't forget the Focus. I had to drive one for my old job (an SE wagon), and it FAR exceeded my expectations of what a $14,000 car should be. Comfortable, relatively quiet, tons of room, solid and well put-together trim and switchgear, decent power and great gas mileage.

I had a '96 Ranger that had some very dangerous problems and was pretty sure when I got rid of it in 1998 that I'd never own another Ford product. My experiences at my last job changed my mind, and now they're right up there with the likes of Toyota and Subaru.

If I was in the market for a moderately-priced sports car, the Mustang would definitely make the list. A few short years ago, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind.
Old 08-11-09, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That live axle on the GT is there for a reason (something I have mentioned in a number of posts in Mustang threads). It is durable (that's why most pickup trucks have them) and resistant to damage from burnouts. The Shelby Mustangs don't have them (and have IRS instead) for two reasons. First, the average Shelby buyer, having putting a lot more money into the car to start with, is more careful about how he drives than the Mustang GT buyer....and is not as eager to do juvenile burnouts at every stoplight. Second, the Shelby buyer generally expects better handling than a live axle can give.
Old 08-12-09, 12:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Does Ford make a high quality car?
i guess you don't read many recent ratings.

It seems like the Mustang is as good as it is ever going to get despite it's live rear axle from the dinosaur days.
i guess you haven't read any of the reviews.
Old 08-12-09, 07:41 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had to take a day trip to Brooklyn and fit in perfectly with the surroundings, then I'd probably get a Mustang. Otherwise, probably not.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford Mustang