Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is "the face" of Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:28 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i dont think i would class the cars based on the design of the grille. I would consider the GS more luxury than an ES
Old 08-11-09, 02:29 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like how the current Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Lexus are doing to the front end of their vehicles, close looking in the family but not the same. Just like siblings but not twins. Look at Audi, their cars look great, but one problem, they all look the same probably except R8, even their Q5 and Q7 look too similar to their cars' front ends except being thicker. Acura a few years back have been criticized for looking too similar to each other, now Audi is even more so.
Old 08-11-09, 02:51 PM
amdave
Driver

Lexus is all about understated elegance.

People see aggressive driving 3 series wannabes on the road and they think - D-bag spending his or her parents money.

People see a beautiful Lex on the road and they think - that is a smart, successful person without the need to show off.

I'll take that any day.
Old 08-11-09, 03:33 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus is too young to have a face or identity, give them a few more years to find themself. For better or for worst, at least their face dont look like Acura's
Old 08-11-09, 04:22 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amdave
Lexus is all about understated elegance.

People see aggressive driving 3 series wannabes on the road and they think - D-bag spending his or her parents money.

People see a beautiful Lex on the road and they think - that is a smart, successful person without the need to show off.

I'll take that any day.

Unfortunately that's mostly true for the e90 drivers in Vancouver. There are exceptions though, no offense to anyone. Side rant: 3 series, civics and domestic pickup trucks are most likely to cut me off.

I think Lexus should stick to the different grille system. All bmws look the same. X3 looks like a shrunken X5. 5 series looks like a smaller 7 series. 3 series looks like a smaller 3 series. 1 series looks like a chopped 3 series.

Not trying to come off as a snob or some kinda douche.
Old 08-12-09, 12:13 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus does have a distinct shape for their front headlights; all, with the exception of the nine year old SC, have a 45-ish degree angle on the inner bottom tip. I think as long as this special headlight shape is maintained, Lexus can have assorted grilles for their line-up.
Old 08-12-09, 12:30 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

every face is a variation of the trapezoid
Old 08-12-09, 05:33 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

I like that "the face" changes with time, but the overall trapezoid shape is still there. Look at the kidney bean of the BMW, every single vehicle HAS TO have that design. Personally, I don't find that shape that sporty. Look like a big butt print on the front of every car.

Forget the face, has anyone noticed that the previous VOICE of Lexus, James Sloyans (of Star Trek fame as Romulan Jarok, Klingon K'mtar, and others) has gone and done MITSUBISHI commercials? I heard him for the first time a few weeks back and though "oh, some older Lexus radio spots are still playing..." then when he said "the Mitsubishi Lancer..." I almost crashed my LS.
Old 08-12-09, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Look at Audi, their cars look great, but one problem, they all look the same probably except R8, even their Q5 and Q7 look too similar to their cars' front ends except being thicker. Acura a few years back have been criticized for looking too similar to each other, now Audi is even more so.
It would be pretty hard to come up with winning designs that are totally different up and down their line up. You are talking about 10 or so award winning designs, some auto makers struggle to have one good design in their line up.
Old 08-12-09, 06:08 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Audi?

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I like how the current Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Lexus are doing to the front end of their vehicles, close looking in the family but not the same. Just like siblings but not twins. Look at Audi, their cars look great, but one problem, they all look the same probably except R8, even their Q5 and Q7 look too similar to their cars' front ends except being thicker. Acura a few years back have been criticized for looking too similar to each other, now Audi is even more so.
In Taiwanese, "Aou Dee" means Stinkin Pig, as in bad swine, not smelly swine. Anyway, I don't like the S,M,L,XL design that many manufacturers (AUDI in particular) have used in their vehicles. Maybe I don't like a particular design element, so now I have four versions of the same bad design to NOT choose from...

I must say, the domestics are pretty good in creating totally different vehicles in each class with absolutely no continuality... oh wait, maybe that's not such a good idea then...
Old 08-12-09, 09:53 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

One of the things I hope Lexus finds.
Apart from having a unique face for the brand, they also lack a unique design language, seeing as how elements of L-Finesse can be found in Toyota designs.
I'm personally a huge fan of luxury brands having a uniformed face throughout their line up. Saying that it doesn't allow for individuality is ridiculous.
At this point, the GS is the only vehicle that is unique enough.

BMW and Audi are my two favorite at this though. Mercedes to a slightly lower degree. Even a quick glance at the headlights will reveal that it is a BMW.
Old 08-12-09, 06:07 PM
LexFather

What elements of L-Finesse are on Toyotas? Park a TOyota an Lexus together, the difference in details are staggering.

A Lexus is a vehicle you have to walk on and really inspect to enjoy the beauty of the details. A Lexus is about elegance and not shouting "HEY LOOK AT ME".

Old 08-12-09, 09:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus is too young to have a face or identity, give them a few more years to find themself. For better or for worst, at least their face dont look like Acura's
Ha! That is so true. But you bring up a great point. Acura was once the head of their game. Now they are completely lost with styling. Lexus could very easily take the same route one day. They are vulnerable like any car company. But hopefully someone super smart at Lexus is watching companies like Acura spin downward and taking note of it.

Back to the OP, I agree with what most have said. I like the Fact that each Lexus model is individual. It does prove it's all about the product first, and the company second. You have no company w/o a successful product.
Old 08-13-09, 12:01 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

All Lexus vehicles have a big L badge. That is good enough for me.
Old 08-13-09, 03:36 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would say the primary 'face' of Lexus is the LS, but lately I feel the IS-F also has the most visually arresting frontal visage.

Quick Reply: What is "the face" of Lexus?