Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is "the face" of Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09 | 10:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Default What is "the face" of Lexus?

This is a subject that I have brought up a few times before, though I think it was a few years ago at this point. I think it's relevant again so I decided to bring the topic back up: What is the face of Lexus?

BMW has always had a consistent grille and front end design across all of it's cars. In fact, I think BMW is the only carmaker that has consistently used the same grille design on all of it's cars throughout history. Aside from BMW, Audi has created a distinct and unique face, as have Jaguar, Infiniti, Cadillac and Acura (for better or worse) but Lexus still lacks some clarity on this issue.

While nearly all of the grilles are trapezoidal in shape the details in each is very different. It seems that you could guess that the "luxury" cars (ES, LS, LX, SC, GX) get the horizontal bars while the sporty cars (GS, IS, RX) get vertical bars, but the RX would seem to make that theory invalid. Perhaps the mesh in the IS F will be used on all future products, and the HS grille will be seen on all future hybrids (hopefully not!).

I know that many people here like the fact that Lexus is not "cookie cutter" like BMW or Audi where every car looks nearly the same but in sizes small, medium, and large. I do agree with that notion, and enjoy the differences between an IS, GS, and LS, but think they could do more to boldly differentiate the face of the brand as a whole. With so many variations in-house, and so many similar looking grilles from other brands, the Lexus grille seems a tad boring to me. Lexus typically does a good job with headlights, bumpers, and fog lights but the main event, the grille, just seems rather nondescript.

Personally I think that all the cars should take on the same trapezoidal shaped grille with horizontal slats like the LS. The LS is the embodyment of everything the brand stands for and is probably the single most well known Lexus car ever. It just seems to me that as the mac-daddy of the lineup, the lesser siblings should have the same face as the LS.

The only thing that troubles me is that a horizontally slatted grille is somewhat generic and can be seen on everything from a Camry to a Jetta. I wish Lexus would do something a little more daring and unique, but the company has always been about simple class and the LS grille does personify that well. If they were to adopt that theme across the lineup I think it could really work as no other luxury brand has a similar one, except for Mercedes which is parted down the middle by a chrome bar.

Vertical slits:

Horizontal bars:

F Mesh:

Whiskers:

Top/thick Bars:

So, what do you guys think is the best option? Should Lexus continue making several different grilles for several different models, or unify them into one that is standard across the line, and thus the "face" of the brand?

My thought is that all products would get a trapezoidal grille with horizontal bars. For the standard products that grille would be chrome or dark grey, but hybrids would have a lighter grey/chrome grille. I think the RX 350 and RX 450h have a difference similar to what I am describing. F products could use a black chrome version of the same grille to be slightly different as well.
Old 08-11-09 | 11:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Audi has a distinct face, but the problem is sometimes it's hard to tell apart different Audi models because many of them look almost identical.

I don't see a big problem with the "face" of Lexus. All Lexus models currently have a trapezoid/rhomboid grille with the big L in the middle. The different slits, slats, and mesh used is similar to what other automakers are doing as well. Audi uses different grille material and mesh on certain different models, as does Mercedes. I will admit the Lexus face is not very distinct, but there is certainly some consistency to it.

Horizontal bars on Lexus grilles usually denote a premium-luxury product that is comfortable. The LS, LX, and SC having it makes sense. The vertical bars/slits denote the sportier Lexus products; the LS hybrid, the GS, and the IS having it makes sense.

What throws it off of course the new RX with vertical slits, but possibly this is to signify that the RX is a sportier Lexus. That and also the new HS grill, which is supposed to be the future grill design for Lexus hybrids.

The LFA likely won't have a conventional Lexus grille, but it is a halo product and a totally unique car so it really doesn't have to follow other Lexus models in terms of grille design.

It seems like Lexus grille design is in a state of transition. I think most Lexus models will continue with trapezoid grilles, combined with the new style of "winged" chrome surrounding the grill. Otherwise I think we will continue to see vertical, horizontal slats and different mesh materials all depending on which model it applies to. I personally like this idea, of using one fundamental grille shape and design, while using little details like slits and bars and mesh material to differentiate the various models in the lineup.

I could be wrong though, and Lexus could change their grille design and take it to a different direction. We shall see though.
Old 08-11-09 | 11:14 AM
stock_sc
Pole Position

i think that lexus should do what its doing. it allows the company to build the whole car not around the grill. it individualizes each model. i dont like the idea of the brand looking like each other than size difference.
Old 08-11-09 | 11:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stock_sc
i think that lexus should do what its doing. it allows the company to build the whole car not around the grill. it individualizes each model. i dont like the idea of the brand looking like each other than size difference.
I agree, with the added comment about the Lexus logo. IMO, the Lexus logo should be consistent for the most part across all products.

Too often companies let some Marketing guys talk them into freaky grills that end up being duds.
Old 08-11-09 | 11:23 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

horizontal bars look so classyy
Old 08-11-09 | 11:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Audi has a distinct face, but the problem is sometimes it's hard to tell apart different Audi models because many of them look almost identical.
One could argue that this is because the ENTIRE car looks nearly identical, not just the grille. Headlights, tail lights, shapes, etc are all nearly identical from the A4 to A8. I am talkiing about Lexus models continuing to look as different as they all do now, but with one common grille to tie them all together.

I don't see a big problem with the "face" of Lexus. All Lexus models currently have a trapezoid/rhomboid grille with the big L in the middle. The different slits, slats, and mesh used is similar to what other automakers are doing as well. Audi uses different grille material and mesh on certain different models, as does Mercedes. I will admit the Lexus face is not very distinct, but there is certainly some consistency to it.
Mercedes uses slightly different variations of the same theme. The ML doesn't have explicit bars but it does have a pattern that resembles them. The thing that Mercedes is changing up is emblems. The ones with the star on the hood have the slat down the middle of the grille while those with the emblem in the grille don't have the vertical center piece. Also, as far a I can see, all Audi's use the square mesh pattern, though the colors can be different in some models.

Horizontal bars on Lexus grilles usually denote a premium-luxury product that is comfortable. The LS, LX, and SC having it makes sense. The vertical bars/slits denote the sportier Lexus products; the LS hybrid, the GS, and the IS having it makes sense.

What throws it off of course the new RX with vertical slits, but possibly this is to signify that the RX is a sportier Lexus. That and also the new HS grill, which is supposed to be the future grill design for Lexus hybrids.
I would agree with you but I just don't think it makes much sense for them to try and classify the RX as sporty, though you could really say the same for the GS I suppose. Who knows?

It seems like Lexus grille design is in a state of transition. I think most Lexus models will continue with trapezoid grilles, combined with the new style of "winged" chrome surrounding the grill. Otherwise I think we will continue to see vertical, horizontal slats and different mesh materials all depending on which model it applies to. I personally like this idea, of using one fundamental grille shape and design, while using little details like slits and bars and mesh material to differentiate the various models in the lineup.

I could be wrong though, and Lexus could change their grille design and take it to a different direction. We shall see though.
I don't know that I would say they're in a transition necessarily. I think that transitional period started in 2005 with the implementation of L-Finesse, but even then none of the grilles or faces of the vehicles really changed that much. IS, GS, and RX all continue to use vertical slits as they did then, and the LS, LX, ES, all continue to use horizontal ones.

I don't necessarily dislike the idea of a similar shaped grille with different design elements, but it seems that all of Lexus competitors are moving to create very distinct and somewhat strict design standards in an effort to create a consistent identity. I don't know that Lexus has necessarily done the same thing as the pictures above illustrate.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 08-11-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-11-09 | 11:36 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by stock_sc
I agree. Characterize the car as a whole, unconfined by the grille.

In fact, it was the L-finesse design philosophy which turned my attention towards Lexus in the first place; in my opinion, that represents doing things right. I'm 100% confident the brand is strong enough to establish its own identity through the above means, strengthening the brand on its own merits.
Old 08-11-09 | 12:02 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I agree. Characterize the car as a whole, unconfined by the grille.

In fact, it was the L-finesse design philosophy which turned my attention towards Lexus in the first place; in my opinion, that represents doing things right. I'm 100% confident the brand is strong enough to establish its own identity through the above means, strengthening the brand on its own merits.

I really believe there is a reason the grills are slightly different. I believe it allows the cars to all evolve independently of each other instead of the all at once body changes at BMW & Audi.
Old 08-11-09 | 12:14 PM
LexFather

I for one am HAPPY Lexus didn't follow the one face on all model look. When Lexus debuted the SC was grilless, the ES had horizontal slants and the LS was an eggcrate. The LS then took Horizontal and then the GS came in 93 with Vertical. We have seen Infiniti and Acura slap the same grills on their fronts and they are no more appealing or seen as a true luxury brand as before.

Its the product stupid.
I think thats what an old man said

Amazingly Lexus were instantly recognizable as a Lexus even as they didn't all look the same. That is one of the appeals to me, the brand is strong enough THEY ALL DON'T HAVE TO LOOK ALIKE.

BMWs have sold very well to NEW buyers, people who NEVER considered a BMW before. Why? They no longer all look the same to these people. They have some style and look different. (Not here to discuss if I/we like it or not)

The face of Lexus is easy. One of success Once they don't build ugly *** vehicles they will be okay
Old 08-11-09 | 12:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

trapezoid face. which unfortunately, is now the Hyundai face too

Old 08-11-09 | 12:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
trapezoid face

or cereal bowl
Old 08-11-09 | 12:20 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Its the product stupid.
I think thats what an old man said

The face of Lexus is easy. One of success Once they don't build ugly *** vehicles they will be okay

i'm surprised Lexus hasn't hired you yet. What are they waiting for?
do you have a criminal background, is that why?
Old 08-11-09 | 12:21 PM
LexFather

Way too bland, that is why if you notice the new Lexus grills are extending with chrome(which I don't like).

I love the fact Lexus are good looking and understated.

If one thing Lexus is known for its big, bright, detailed headlights.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i'm surprised Lexus hasn't hired you yet. What are they waiting for?
do you have a criminal background, is that why?
I got caught transporting Female Goats from state to state......a federal offense That and I have some truly funny press releases
Old 08-11-09 | 12:34 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by Twan0690
I really believe there is a reason the grills are slightly different. I believe it allows the cars to all evolve independently of each other instead of the all at once body changes at BMW & Audi.
Agreed. I'll only add that the HS seems to have evolved backwards in this case. Looking at the otherwise handsome lineup of vehicles in the original post, that thing is just...ugly...

I really hope its not the face of any future Lexus hybrids, as even that vehicle pushes my tolerance for function vs form.
Old 08-11-09 | 12:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Agreed. I'll only add that the HS seems to have evolved backwards in this case. Looking at the otherwise handsome lineup of vehicles in the original post, that thing is just...ugly...

I really hope its not the face of any future Lexus hybrids, as even that vehicle pushes my tolerance for function vs form.
Naahhh, the trend of making the most efficient hybrids ugly will get old after a while, but with the Prius dominating still, not anytime soon.

Quick Reply: What is "the face" of Lexus?