Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you like the design direction Lexus has been taking recently?
yes
43.06%
no
56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

I don't like the design direction Lexus is taking. Do you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 07:41 PM
amdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO - the 2007 to current model LS 460 is the best looking car Lexus has ever designed. It will likely be downhill from here....

It is such a beautiful car that BMW copied it.
Old 08-12-09, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Ok, so the LX570 is a rebadged Landcruiser with a few styling modifications. It doesn't bother me since the Landcruiser is a good vehicle and I can see that Lexus was trying to keep development costs down by simply reusing the Landcruiser as an LX570. Fine. No real harm done.
Though it is big, heavy, ponderous, pricey, and thirsty, the Land Cruiser is a superbly-built vehicle, and easily has Toyota's best interior. It is well-worthy of the Lexus name.

The HS250h on the other hand. I'm sorry, but this vehicle should never have been given a Lexus badge. It looks like a Toyota. It could pass for a next generation Corolla.
For that matter, it could pass for THIS generation Corolla. But it appears to be a pretty nice product under the skin.

The ES is reminiscent of a Camry. I wish the next generation ES looked a bit more dynamic (just a bit) and didn't carry on the Camry design language. I think in the long run Lexus isn't doing themselves any favors with this kind of boring design.
I won't get into the ES350 again here......I've talked about it in many different posts.

The GX? Well, you hardly hear anything of it so I guess I can "overlook" it. The design on that thing really screams Toyota (it's a rebadged European Landcruiser right?).
No. The American-market GX470 is a rebadged (and slightly more plush) Toyota 4Runner.
Old 08-12-09, 08:30 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think Lexus makes some very handsome cars....although some are in major need of a refresh. The RX, LS, and IS are all attractive cars imo. The GS, GX and SC are good looking cars but desperately in need of an update to be competitive. The Lexus Camry is what it is and satisfies a certain car buyer I guess.
Old 08-12-09, 08:34 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope they don't put the HS grille on the LS600h. Looks like the Ford Fusion grille. Current LS grille looks better. Just stick to the bluish L badge to show it's a hybrid.
Old 08-12-09, 08:35 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. The American-market GX470 is a rebadged (and slightly more plush) Toyota 4Runner.
I think he means the LandCruiser Prado, which are pretty much the same vehicle with different grilles I believe.
Old 08-12-09, 08:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg

Then they go and slap a HS grill on the new LSh .

OMGWTF W T F is that?? that doesn't even look like a lexus anymore. It looks like a cheap toyota with fancy lights

is that the 2010 LS? omg they farked it up!!! and the grille is not the biggest problem.

what did they do to the lower air dams??!

that looks all retarded, and looks like it had a baby with the 2009 maxima.

did they hire people that were fired from KIA?
Old 08-12-09, 08:36 PM
LexFather

Why do people continue to beat up the ES being based off the Camry? Its a damn good looking vehicle. It looks WAY better than the last one and I think maybe the best looking one. What does a PLATFORM have to do with how a car looks if it looks good?

I didn't like the GS refresh, the IS refresh also got busy and the RX had to "Grow" on me .THere was a time when a Lexus design used to be an immediate hit for me. That hasn't happened for ME since the 2GS. Clearly they still look good to people, I constantly get compliments on both GSs.

To be honest I find car design today to be all over the damn place unless I pony up for an Aston Martin.

Originally Posted by GFerg
This thread got me thinking. It made me come to the unfortunate realization that outside of the IS and LS, there are cars from other manufacturers that I really would rather have. The new ES definitely has lost its classiness (I really like the current gen pre-facelift). The HS is gross to look at, as is the IS-C. The GS before the chrome grill was damn near perfect, now I'm & . The LX is all sorts of messed up on the outside, but the inside really makes up for it IMO. The RX is growing on me, but the previous gen IMO always looked good.

Then they go and slap a HS grill on the new LSh .

These refreshes have me scratching my head. Maybe its time for a new design language as it seems they ran out of ideas.
Is that for real?

Old 08-12-09, 08:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

we dont know. lol. hopefully not
Old 08-12-09, 08:42 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Is that for real?

that's my reaction.

it looks legit though.

someone please translate the chinese.

i only see that it says august 5th something something......

I don't think there's a separate chinese market lexus. for the past few years at least, they've had the exact same cars we've had.

go to www.lexus.com.tw and you'll see they have the exact same ES350 too

So that abomination could actually be the 2010 LS for real
Old 08-12-09, 08:45 PM
amdave
Driver

Agreed - it looks horrible. The current LS is a beauty, please don't screw it up.
Old 08-12-09, 08:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ LOL that LS600hL looks like a HS250h on steroids
Old 08-12-09, 08:59 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

I don't like the facelift to the ES, but I dislike the facelift to the RX even more.
Old 08-12-09, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To be honest I find car design today to be all over the damn place unless I pony up for an Aston Martin.
Even Aston is branching out a little. Here is their new 4-door Rapide.

............and the 4-door Porsche Panamera sedan.

Old 08-12-09, 09:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol that japanese...not chinese
Old 08-12-09, 09:15 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a big fan of Lexus and a former owner, I must say that I am not very impressed by the direction of Lexus, aka Toyota. L-finesse is totally boring and really missed the mark.

Let's start at the top:

LS: Big car with nothing that really makes it stand out from the rest of the line up. People who spend $80K on a car want it to be distinguised. Look how well the 7 Bangliezed car did. I think Lexus played it a little too safe. I love the orignial LS and think it still has endured the test of time.

SC: SC430? Give me break. You let a French design firm do a follow up to the original? Let's get Erwin Lui back on the new SC project. Let's give the SC some cajones!! Sadly, Lexus has let a great car fade into the memory.

GS: 1st and 2nd generation were outstanding. 3rd generation dropped the ball when they didn't carry over the distinctive tailights from 2nd generation GS. Now the new Sequioa shares the same tail lights as the current GS. Go take a look for yourself. I like the size and stance of the current GS, but it just doesn't work.

IS: The rear end is just plain ugly and too high. Sure it's selling well, but it's still no 3 series killer. Either the IS doesn't look that great or the Scion tC looks like a Lexus.

Sadly, as much as I love the brand, no Lexus today makes me do a double take and makes me want to examine every inch of the car. Believe me, I love cars and love good design. I just wish Lexus didn't play it safe. That is what Toyota is for.

GIVE ME MORE!!!!

Where is our $30-$40K coupe!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I don't like the design direction Lexus is taking. Do you?