Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you like the design direction Lexus has been taking recently?
yes
43.06%
no
56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

I don't like the design direction Lexus is taking. Do you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 09:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol that japanese...not chinese
well the hell should i know. they use the same characters for the most part.

still need a translation. in engrish
Old 08-12-09, 09:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
well the hell should i know. they use the same characters for the most part.

still need a translation. in engrish
well japanese car...japanese characters?

the jyst of it says "you can start ordering the car august 5th"
Old 08-12-09, 10:01 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
well japanese car...japanese characters?

the jyst of it says "you can start ordering the car august 5th"
But you can start clowning it today.....OMFG, that is fugly......NOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-09, 11:25 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new LS looks like a knock Cherry (China) would make.
Old 08-12-09, 11:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

My perspective:

Lexus has been doing a lot of "experimenting" with design. I don't think they are trying to "find" themselves; I believe they are creating variances in design that delineate the sport versus luxury versus hybrid vehicles in their line up.

There is a clear and concise Japanese aesthetic when molding each and every Lexus. There is a simplicity to each line, yet it depicts movement and visual interest. For a luxury marque, they have an understanding that the general market of luxury car buyers (read old rich folk) want a subtle statement. For some, it's too subtle. For most, it gets the job done.

But in conjunction with design, there is functionality. Lexus has been very superb in creating ergonomic cars with easy access and viewing of everything inside the cabin. The recent asymmetric designs of the ES350, RX350/450h, and the LX570 all encompass the driver with what they need/want. Again, it may not win everyone's hearts, but it does address what the driver really needs.

For myself, I have always been a bit "cold" when first seeing Lexus' designs on photo or in print. It seems plain and uninspired. However, upon seeing it in person and in motion, my outlook changes immediately. There is visual balance in size, heft, and weight to the cars. There is a radiance to pearl/metallic surfaces, further enhancing the textures and tension in each sheet of metal. The interiors "feel" like no other interior; the tactile sensation of every bit of plastic, leather, and wood all create interest. The lighting is somewhat theatrical, yet unobtrusive. The feel of the car while driving is signature; it's serene and comforting.

I doubt that a forum like ours (which is dominated by young mostly-single male enthusiasts) truly parallel the majority of Lexus buyers. Lexus' designs are not meant to be spectacular and groundbreaking. It's charming and conservative.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty good cup of tea nonetheless.
Old 08-13-09, 03:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
But you can start clowning it today.....OMFG, that is fugly......NOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha lmao

Though in all seriousness, the way I see it, any atrocities that this MMC facelift may have are minor, so majority of the car is still safe and neat (design-wise)

However, if the ugly-*** RX and HS are of any indication, then yes, there is a threat that by 3-4 years when the next LS and other newer-gen Lexus vehicles come, then yeah, exterior design downhill. I just hope that the next-gen LS, IS, GS and SC would not follow the path of the RX and HS design abominations

Though one can only hope that such won't happen........

My two cents on the matter
Old 08-13-09, 03:33 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My perspective:

Lexus has been doing a lot of "experimenting" with design. I don't think they are trying to "find" themselves; I believe they are creating variances in design that delineate the sport versus luxury versus hybrid vehicles in their line up.

There is a clear and concise Japanese aesthetic when molding each and every Lexus. There is a simplicity to each line, yet it depicts movement and visual interest. For a luxury marque, they have an understanding that the general market of luxury car buyers (read old rich folk) want a subtle statement. For some, it's too subtle. For most, it gets the job done.

But in conjunction with design, there is functionality. Lexus has been very superb in creating ergonomic cars with easy access and viewing of everything inside the cabin. The recent asymmetric designs of the ES350, RX350/450h, and the LX570 all encompass the driver with what they need/want. Again, it may not win everyone's hearts, but it does address what the driver really needs.

For myself, I have always been a bit "cold" when first seeing Lexus' designs on photo or in print. It seems plain and uninspired. However, upon seeing it in person and in motion, my outlook changes immediately. There is visual balance in size, heft, and weight to the cars. There is a radiance to pearl/metallic surfaces, further enhancing the textures and tension in each sheet of metal. The interiors "feel" like no other interior; the tactile sensation of every bit of plastic, leather, and wood all create interest. The lighting is somewhat theatrical, yet unobtrusive. The feel of the car while driving is signature; it's serene and comforting.

I doubt that a forum like ours (which is dominated by young mostly-single male enthusiasts) truly parallel the majority of Lexus buyers. Lexus' designs are not meant to be spectacular and groundbreaking. It's charming and conservative.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty good cup of tea nonetheless.
Very eloquently stated! Thanks for sharing your observations.
Old 08-13-09, 04:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackblack7
I don't like the facelift to the ES, but I dislike the facelift to the RX even more.
The RX isn't a facelift, it's a whole new car. I agree about the ES. The fog lights look like they're right out of a JC Whitney catalog.
Old 08-13-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus knows that the L-finesse concept is dieing fast, they are simply trying out new designs and concepts.
Old 08-13-09, 06:21 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus should take a page out of the porsche and audi book

DON'T TWEAK SO MUCH IN THE FRONT BUMPERs
Old 08-13-09, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Lexus should take a page out of the porsche and audi book

DON'T TWEAK SO MUCH IN THE FRONT BUMPERs
Yeah, but Audi made up for it by (IMO) by screwing up, several years ago, and using too-large grilles instead.
Old 08-13-09, 06:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The LS & IS sedan (non F) are good looking cars imo. The others need to follow suit. Lexus design language of the 90's were ahead of its time.. I honestly can't say the same for the current design language.
Old 08-13-09, 06:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The only Lexus that currently tickles my man bubbles is the LS-series. That thing looks ELEGANT! Everything else to me is neither great or horrendous.
Old 08-13-09, 06:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The LS & IS sedan (non F) are good looking cars imo. The others need to follow suit. Lexus design language of the 90's were ahead of its time.. I honestly can't say the same for the current design language.
I'm with you there. My favorite Lexus models are the current IS and LS and the 2GS. The new ES doesn't do it for me and the rest of the lineup is pretty polarizing.
Old 08-13-09, 09:55 AM
alae
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

frankly speaking lexus cars nowadays are good looking.. other then the ES class... since 2000 -2009 i never liked this car design... but LS GS IS are just awesome to me.. the recent generation i mean

Quick Reply: I don't like the design direction Lexus is taking. Do you?