Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you like the design direction Lexus has been taking recently?
yes
43.06%
no
56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

I don't like the design direction Lexus is taking. Do you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 10:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alae
frankly speaking lexus cars nowadays are good looking.. other then the ES class... since 2000 -2009 i never liked this car design... but LS GS IS are just awesome to me.. the recent generation i mean
I agree, and also find the ES to be acceptable.
Old 08-13-09, 10:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would love to see the final production design of the LF-A (or LF-L, when officially released).

It would also be interesting to see the interior of the car when complete.

Perhaps the LF-L will be the model that breaks the mold of conservative Lexus design philosophy...
Old 08-13-09, 12:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The picture of that 2010 LS 600hL makes my stomach drop. Cover the fancy LED headlights and you have a nice update to the Toyota Avalon.

Between the 2010 ES and LS, HS, ISc, and RX, I had to vote "no".
Old 08-13-09, 12:47 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I would love to see the final production design of the LF-A (or LF-L, when officially released).

Perhaps the LF-L will be the model that breaks the mold of conservative Lexus design philosophy...
LF-L? Like a longer wheel based version such as the LS 600h L or LS 460 L?

Last edited by Trexus; 08-13-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 01:00 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
As a big fan of Lexus and a former owner, I must say that I am not very impressed by the direction of Lexus, aka Toyota. L-finesse is totally boring and really missed the mark.

Let's start at the top:

LS: Big car with nothing that really makes it stand out from the rest of the line up. People who spend $80K on a car want it to be distinguised. Look how well the 7 Bangliezed car did. I think Lexus played it a little too safe. I love the orignial LS and think it still has endured the test of time.

SC: SC430? Give me break. You let a French design firm do a follow up to the original? Let's get Erwin Lui back on the new SC project. Let's give the SC some cajones!! Sadly, Lexus has let a great car fade into the memory.

GS: 1st and 2nd generation were outstanding. 3rd generation dropped the ball when they didn't carry over the distinctive tailights from 2nd generation GS. Now the new Sequioa shares the same tail lights as the current GS. Go take a look for yourself. I like the size and stance of the current GS, but it just doesn't work.

IS: The rear end is just plain ugly and too high. Sure it's selling well, but it's still no 3 series killer. Either the IS doesn't look that great or the Scion tC looks like a Lexus.

Sadly, as much as I love the brand, no Lexus today makes me do a double take and makes me want to examine every inch of the car. Believe me, I love cars and love good design. I just wish Lexus didn't play it safe. That is what Toyota is for.

GIVE ME MORE!!!!

Where is our $30-$40K coupe!!!!!!
Well said, Bruce, I agree 200%. ...even though much of it's negative.

I think a stock LS is just too staid. Sure dropped on some classy 20s solves the problem, but a car in the price range needs to be more interesting.

I think the 3rd gen GS also is too boring, as I often confuse it for an Avalon at some angles. And the interior is a little tight for a car of its size, and that trunk openning is absolutely laughable. That trunk openning should have never left the drawing board. Of course, I think some of the modded 3rd Gens are stunning, but coming off the Lexus lot, it's ho-hum for a$50,000+ car.

The SC? It desperately needs a redesign worthy of the SC moniker.

I like the IS design, but what Bruce said is still on-point.

I do think the ES before the refreshing was a nice looking mid-size, roomy luxury car....wayyyyy better than a Camry, IMO.
Old 08-13-09, 01:12 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

I for one, do not particularly care for where Lexus is going. Although we still love our GS, the new and improved RX was a complete disappointment. Hence, instead of a new RX sitting in the driveway, we opted for the Nissan Murano LE. If Lexus keeps moving towards the boring and bland, we will have to search elsewhere when it comes time to trade off the GS. I also question the current quality, seems like little things are slipping and we’re not seeing that vaunted pursuit of perfection anymore.
Old 08-13-09, 01:15 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, but Audi made up for it by (IMO) by screwing up, several years ago, and using too-large grilles instead.
I really, really dislike the oversized Audi/VW grilles. They just ruin the car.

For me, I think the grille and headlights are two of the most important elements to any car design. You screw this up, it's fugly time.

Some Audi's can overcome the grille (like the 5 coupe), but everytime I see even that beautiful coupe, I still think that grille is too big.

That redesigned LS just looks silly with that new Venza grille. It looks decidedly downmarket on the LS.

The award for the worst redesigned grille of 2009 is the new Mazda 3. Whoever designed that should have been terminated as soon as the first car rolled off the assembly line.

When it comes to front-end designs, less is more. Small grilles, compact headlights, and interesting yet simple shapes and surfaces. If you're going to take chances, don't do it with an overstated grille or crazy headlights or strange valences (like the Mazda).
Old 08-13-09, 01:55 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully Toyoduh fixes some of the less than inspiring designs as well! And yeah, as mentioned above, where's the coupe?
Old 08-13-09, 05:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My perspective:

Lexus has been doing a lot of "experimenting" with design. I don't think they are trying to "find" themselves; I believe they are creating variances in design that delineate the sport versus luxury versus hybrid vehicles in their line up.

There is a clear and concise Japanese aesthetic when molding each and every Lexus. There is a simplicity to each line, yet it depicts movement and visual interest. For a luxury marque, they have an understanding that the general market of luxury car buyers (read old rich folk) want a subtle statement. For some, it's too subtle. For most, it gets the job done.

But in conjunction with design, there is functionality. Lexus has been very superb in creating ergonomic cars with easy access and viewing of everything inside the cabin. The recent asymmetric designs of the ES350, RX350/450h, and the LX570 all encompass the driver with what they need/want. Again, it may not win everyone's hearts, but it does address what the driver really needs.

For myself, I have always been a bit "cold" when first seeing Lexus' designs on photo or in print. It seems plain and uninspired. However, upon seeing it in person and in motion, my outlook changes immediately. There is visual balance in size, heft, and weight to the cars. There is a radiance to pearl/metallic surfaces, further enhancing the textures and tension in each sheet of metal. The interiors "feel" like no other interior; the tactile sensation of every bit of plastic, leather, and wood all create interest. The lighting is somewhat theatrical, yet unobtrusive. The feel of the car while driving is signature; it's serene and comforting.

I doubt that a forum like ours (which is dominated by young mostly-single male enthusiasts) truly parallel the majority of Lexus buyers. Lexus' designs are not meant to be spectacular and groundbreaking. It's charming and conservative.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty good cup of tea nonetheless.
Great post

Old 08-13-09, 07:39 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to the LS comments, if I am choosing a luxury car to buy, the looks really don't come into the equation. I choose comfort, drivability and what the car has to offer the driver AND the passenger. The S class and 7 series are just as ugly or good looking as the LS. And the comments about wanting to drive a car that will make a statement , everyone will know that you are driving a LS so that is making a statement right there.

Have a look at a Rolls and Bently, I don't think they look that good at all, but it is like some of you are expecting car makers to make every car look sporty just so you can look cool. Not everyone wants 22" rims and that droped sporty look.
Old 08-13-09, 07:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

when i saw the 2010 LS, i thought it looked Avalonish. if you just quickly glance at the front end, you'd probably mistake them both....... with the air dams all in the same place and such

Old 08-13-09, 08:03 PM
LexFather

The LS/Avalon look nothing alike.
If anything the LS shares the bottom grill with the GS and IS, 3 air intakes.

Old 08-13-09, 08:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LS/Avalon look nothing alike.

do you see the 3 rectangular air dams in both cars?

that's what i'm pointing out.

the GS and IS don't have 3 rectangular blocks
Old 08-13-09, 08:45 PM
08IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why do people continue to beat up the ES being based off the Camry? Its a damn good looking vehicle. It looks WAY better than the last one and I think maybe the best looking one. What does a PLATFORM have to do with how a car looks if it looks good?

I didn't like the GS refresh, the IS refresh also got busy and the RX had to "Grow" on me .THere was a time when a Lexus design used to be an immediate hit for me. That hasn't happened for ME since the 2GS. Clearly they still look good to people, I constantly get compliments on both GSs.

To be honest I find car design today to be all over the damn place unless I pony up for an Aston Martin.

Is that for real?
If I see only bottom half without big "L" I would think it is JDM Honda Odyssey.

I still can't stand the RX HID projector at wrong place.
Old 08-13-09, 08:50 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

So does anybody else see the L shaped LED strip under the LED headlight bulbs that surround the turn signal?

Quick Reply: I don't like the design direction Lexus is taking. Do you?