Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Subaru Legacy GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 01:21 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, well done car, but can't they just make it pleased to the eyes too?
Old 08-15-09, 01:22 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

thanks for the request.. that was pretty fast timing LOL.. I just wanted your opinion since they completely enlarged the vehicle by a few inches.. I've always like the legacy because i guess it was a Turbo sedan.. IMO used Subarus seem hard to find around my local area i guess because of the reliability of these cars.

Thanks again mmarshall

Tony
Old 08-15-09, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
IMHO, the last version of the Legacy was the best looking car Subie ever built.
Your opinion is not alone. It is shared by a number of others, although the first-generation Impreza was not bad-looking either, especially in the gorgeous purple "Amethyst" color, which I wish Subaru would bring back..

Old 08-15-09, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
every time i see the comercial and I see those blown fenders I keep seeing images of a slammed version with 275 width tires all the way around. Possibly 285
The wheel wells are not only wide but tall as well. Yes, you could probably fit larger rubber in there, but, in most cases, for number of reasons, it's best to leave things stock, unless it is out of warranty.
Old 08-15-09, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice, well done car, but can't they just make it pleased to the eyes too?
I'd say, for the most part, it IS pleasing to the eyes, except for those goofy oversized swept-back headlights which look like something off another planet.
Old 08-15-09, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
thanks for the request.. that was pretty fast timing LOL.. I just wanted your opinion since they completely enlarged the vehicle by a few inches.. I've always like the legacy because i guess it was a Turbo sedan.. IMO used Subarus seem hard to find around my local area i guess because of the reliability of these cars.

Thanks again mmarshall

Tony
Sure. Anytime.

The did enlarge the height and width (by some 3 inches) but not the length.

Subaru reliability is not just a myth. My own Outback has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (better, so far, than even the Toyota Celica and Lexus IS300 I had previously). The only significant reliability issues in the Subaru line have been a number of head-gasket problems on 1999-2003 non-turbo 2.5's, and a few premature rear-wheel bearing problems here and there (both are covered under free extended factory warranties). Some of the early WRX models had premature clutch failure, but that was mostly a problem of them being driven hard and abused.....other manual-transmission Imprezas didn't have significant problems. In 2004-2005, Subaru was Consumer Reports' most highly-rated overall brand for reliability, with Honda and Lexus tied for second.

On the new Legacy/Outback, the only potential reliability issue that concerns me is the new CVT, which, trust me, is otherwise a gem.....and possibly the electronic parking brake, which I described in the review. I didn't get into the CVT much in this review, because it is not offered on the GT.....neither is any automatic.
Old 08-15-09, 09:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I can see:
Plus
-Lineartronic CVT
-Subaru reliability and solid construction
-tried-and-tested Symmetrical AWD system
-horizontal layout engines (if there are fans of any)
-neat interior (as good if not better than the current gen)

Minus
-exterior is worse than the older/current generation I'm afraid
-the wheels/rims featured look like *****

Personal comments:
-this is the first time their using Lineartronic CVT outside Japan (though this will be the first time it's used overall)
-engine choices aren't that bad (which range from the traditional turbo boxers and their neat 3.6 V6 natural-aspirated unit)

Suggestions and other notes:
1) regarding exterior design
Yup looks worse than the generation it's replacing. However, some of the damage can be lessened.

Here is the Made-in-Japan version (for markets outside of North America).

You can notice the slight difference with the Japan-made version having slightly better front. That and the other choices of wheels/rims offered are better than the ****-rims featured.

2) I favor the increased push towards Lineartronic CVT
No offense to Provide Ltd. but...........if the CVT can perform better than the Sportshift Automatic tranny, then yes, I hope that Subaru would increase usage of the Lineartronic CVT. Heck, call me crazy, but I don't mind if all AT variants would be only powered by the Lineartronic CVT gearbox.

Two cents
Old 08-15-09, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

that interior looks like a 90s econobox. fail.

Old 08-15-09, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that interior looks like a 90s econobox. fail.

How about THIS version, Paul? This is the Limited two-tone....the one I would probably get if I were in the market for a new Legacy/Outback (which I may be, next year)

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-09 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-15-09, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
From what I can see:
Plus
-Lineartronic CVT
-Subaru reliability and solid construction
-tried-and-tested Symmetrical AWD system
-horizontal layout engines (if there are fans of any)
-neat interior (as good if not better than the current gen)

Minus
-exterior is worse than the older/current generation I'm afraid
-the wheels/rims featured look like *****

Personal comments:
-this is the first time their using Lineartronic CVT outside Japan (though this will be the first time it's used overall)
-engine choices aren't that bad (which range from the traditional turbo boxers and their neat 3.6 V6 natural-aspirated unit)

Suggestions and other notes:
1) regarding exterior design
Yup looks worse than the generation it's replacing. However, some of the damage can be lessened.
Good mini-review. I agree with most of your points.

Here is the Made-in-Japan version (for markets outside of North America).

The regular Legacy wagon (not the Outback) was available here in the U.S. until 2008, when the bean counters decided there wasn't enough of a market here for it (or for the Outback sedan). Both were cancelled.

2) I favor the increased push towards Lineartronic CVT
No offense to Provide Ltd. but...........if the CVT can perform better than the Sportshift Automatic tranny, then yes, I hope that Subaru would increase usage of the Lineartronic CVT. Heck, call me crazy, but I don't mind if all AT variants would be only powered by the Lineartronic CVT gearbox.
The 6-range CVT used in the Legacy/Outback is indeed a gem. It not only increases fuel mileage, but makes the N/A 2.5L run like a N/A flat-six.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-15-09, 11:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree too with your comments on the CVT. In fact, this Lineartronic CVT should be the default auto gearbox in the entire Subaru range haha (only joking there). But seriously, IMHO, it is so refined that I believe that even Jeremy Clarkson (a staunch CVT gearbox critic) would even start to appreciate it (as this CVT has manual mode).

Hopefully, I'd have to check the specs myself, though if what Subaru is using is a Jatco unit (like the one in the Nissan Murano), then yes it should be capable of handling high amounts of torque plus 4WD/AWD.

Anyways, it's time to spot the differences.

The version made in Indiana, USA

The version made in Ota in Gunma prefecture in Japan

Anyhow, to mmarshall and others in this thread

I want you guys to take note of the differences of:
-the front grille/nose
-the wheels/rims

Then state your comments and opinions regarding it.

I guess I'll start with mine.
Personally IMHO, the front nose of the Japan-made version really makes a better design (like night and day sorta speak). It's sleeker than the plain USDM grille. Also, regarding wheels/rims, those ****ty rims featured really look like a boring and plain well you know. But if you check those ten-spoke rims featured in the latter pic, then how, it looks much better

Old 08-15-09, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I agree too with your comments on the CVT. In fact, this Lineartronic CVT should be the default auto gearbox in the entire Subaru range haha (only joking there).
Yes, but not before it has been proven for reliability. If the CVT's turn out to be unreliable, they could hurt Subaru's generally good record.

Anyhow, to mmarshall and others in this thread

I want you guys to take note of the differences of:
-the front grille/nose
-the wheels/rims

Then state your comments and opinions regarding it.
The American version has too many spokes in the rim.......I like a simple, 5-spoke mag-style.

I prefer the American grille, though. The Japanese version, IMO, makes it look too much like the Acura parrot-beak grilles.

One big (and annoying) difference that you didn't mention (and I mentioned it in the review) was that the American version no longer gets a true engine temperature gauge like those in other countries. It makes do with blue/red (cold/hot) idiot lights and a vaccum/MPG gauge instead. .

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 05:08 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The limited two-tone looks good...
Old 08-15-09, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
The limited two-tone looks good...
You might have to go with an Outback, though, to get two-tone. The Legacy seems to offer only the solid black......with metallic or wood trim, depending on the level.
Old 08-16-09, 01:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have never known anyone who had a subaru, but you generally hear good things. I am intrigued

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Subaru Legacy GT