Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should the DMV offer free safety classes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09 | 08:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default Should the DMV offer free safety classes?

I came across an article (link) that provided information regarding the State of Pennsylvania offering free motorcycle safety classes until October of this year. "Through the Motorcycle Safety Program, we are committed to helping all riders improve their operating skills and safety knowledge," said Penn DOT Secretary Allen D. Biehler, P.E.

Then I thought to myself, wouldn't it be beneficial to provide such car and motorcycle safety classes for free? People sign up, take the class, and be better in their driving skills, as well as basic automotive maintenance, common traffic laws, and general (written and unwritten) "Rules of the Road."

But I can only imagine the financial impact of these classes? Should the State pay? Should car insurance companies help with the bill to promote safe driving? Should registration fees and insurance premiums be affected if people take the classes (take the class, get discounts)? Should it be mandatory for new drivers, elderly drivers, or even regular folk?

What do you think?

Would you take the class just for the benefit of knowledge? Would you take the class if you got perks out of it like lower insurance premiums? Or would you never take a class just because you think it wouldn't be beneficial at all?

Give me your thoughts...

Old 08-14-09 | 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Should the State pay? Should car insurance companies help with the bill to promote safe driving?

Should registration fees and insurance premiums be affected if people take the classes (take the class, get discounts)?
Some insurance companies already offer premium discounts for taking a state-approved defensive-driving course.

Would you take the class just for the benefit of knowledge? Would you take the class if you got perks out of it like lower insurance premiums? Or would you never take a class just because you think it wouldn't be beneficial at all?
It depends. Cars today are often vastly different from what they were decades ago, but not all driving schools have caught up. Some, for example, still tell drivers to rapidly pump their brakes on snow and ice, but modern ABS, which most cars have today, has made that not only unnecessary but counter-productive. FWD and RWD cars often handle very differently in emergencies. And driving instructors often tell older people to go out and buy the biggest, heavist car they can afford, on the old idea that pure size equals safety. This fails, however, to overlook the fact that cars like big Buicks and the Mercury Grand Marquis have handling that, in many cases, is sloppy enough that they would plow straight ahead into an accident that a smaller, more nimble car could maybe avoid with better handling.

So, to put it simply, I'm not sure I would trust everything those driving "Instructors" say. In a number of things, we posters here on CAR CHAT know more than they do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-09 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-15-09 | 10:17 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Safety classes, BIG PLUS!

I don't think the state should provide them because when has any state run program been efficient, cost effective, and a positive experience? I say insurance companies would certainly benefit from better drivers so they should consider paying for these programs.

When I wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle, the first thing I did was sign up for an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class. Knowing how to properly operate a motorcycle is literally the difference between life and death. For about $200, it was well worth it and probably saved my from learning some lessons on my own that would have probably cost me life or limb.

I take driving very seriously and have never been in a car accident my 19 years of driving. There are some bad drivers out there and having them be more knowledgeable on driving is a good thing for everyone on the road.

The safety classes could be held in conjunction with driving school classes for people who have had moving violations. The system is already in place and it would be easy for the same instructors to offer safety classes.
Old 08-15-09 | 10:50 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Would you take the class if you got perks out of it like lower insurance premiums?
that's the only reason i'd take it.

for the general public, this is not going to benefit them in terms of safety.

what the public needs is a monkey in the passenger seat who will slap them upside the head everytime they reach for the cell phone or text msg.

Old 08-15-09 | 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
what the public needs is a monkey in the passenger seat who will slap them upside the head everytime they reach for the cell phone or text msg.
I at least partially blame the auto manufacturers for this. They are encouraging this practice by building more and more cell-phone and Bluetooth features into the cars themselves. Even if you don't have a portable cell-phone, a number of cars today have one built-in for you, sometimes with hands-free talk.

So, what's a driving instructor going to say to the student............Go out and buy a new car, and then don't use that feature?
Old 08-15-09 | 11:05 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I at least partially blame the auto manufacturers for this. They are encouraging this practice by building more and more cell-phone and Bluetooth features into the cars themselves. Even if you don't have a portable cell-phone, a number of cars today have one built-in for you, sometimes with hands-free talk.

So, what's a driving instructor going to say to the student............Go out and buy a new car, and then don't use that feature?

it's not the bluetooth's fault.

bluetooth hands free should prevent accidents.- you talk with both hands on the wheel

BT or not, the douchebags who text msg will continue to txt msg.
Old 08-15-09 | 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
it's not the bluetooth's fault.

bluetooth hands free should prevent accidents.- you talk with both hands on the wheel

BT or not, the douchebags who text msg will continue to txt msg.
True, but studies have shown that hands-free phones can often be just as distracting as conventional ones, because often the driver is concentrating, not on the road, but on the conversation itself. It doesn't seem to have lowered the cell-phone rate of driving accidents much, if at all.
Old 08-15-09 | 04:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, talking and/or having conversation in the car can be dangerous.

But what was the topic...

Oh yes, driver safety classes via DMV. If they can be proven to significantly reduce accidents, IMO then it should be considered.
Old 08-15-09 | 07:29 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Yes. I run into numerous dangerous drivers daily and anything that can decrease those numbers would be great.
On the highway today, some guy in a blacked out Lincoln LS swerved/changed into my lane without signaling. I was right his blind spot (which he should have checked!!!), and he nearly hit me doing 65.
Even if it's simple safety classes it still help. I guess you could call it a refresher.
Old 08-15-09 | 10:42 PM
LexFather

Its a great idea. Maybe hire old professional racing drivers and qualified people to work for the DMV instead of just someone who is looking for a job.
Old 08-16-09 | 12:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

instead of safety courses i want the driving test to be much harder instead of "can you fog a mirror?" we need everyone's driving to be of a higher average standard. voluntary safety courses, unless resulting in a huge insurance drop (which they won't because of OTHER drivers), won't make enough of a difference in risk.
Old 08-16-09 | 12:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

free safety classes would not hurt. I know that.
Old 08-16-09 | 09:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
free safety classes would not hurt. I know that.
yes they would, nothing government provides is 'free'.
Old 08-16-09 | 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, talking and/or having conversation in the car can be dangerous.

But what was the topic...

Oh yes, driver safety classes via DMV. If they can be proven to significantly reduce accidents, IMO then it should be considered.
Yes, the topic is indeed Driver-Safety classes, but, IN those classes, perhaps the instructors should be spending a little more time emphasizng the risks of multi-tasking behind the wheel with cell-phones........and the students should pay a little more heed.

I learned, years ago, how to handle multi-tasking in flight school and when I was a pilot, but multi-tasking in an airplane cockpit is a far different matter then in a car. In an airplane, once in the air, you don't have a chance to start and stop at traffic lights, stop signs, etc.... nor can you just stop and pull over to the shoulder in an emergency. You have no choice.....you often have to do 4 or 5 different things all at once, and do them right. But.............driving a car gives you far less excuses for multi-tasking in the first place.
Old 08-16-09 | 03:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the topic is indeed Driver-Safety classes, but, IN those classes, perhaps the instructors should be spending a little more time emphasizng the risks of multi-tasking behind the wheel with cell-phones........and the students should pay a little more heed.

That would be a very good idea, I agree (not just mentioning cell-phones, but all the other deadly distractions that contribute to accidents). Driving is certainly a task that requires complete attention .

Quick Reply: Should the DMV offer free safety classes?