Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any other Toyota Venza fans??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 11:33 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but the 24's look ridiculous..imo.
Old 08-16-09, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Dont apologize for a wrong opinion. They look great. soon your comment. LOL.

j/k to each his own, but I bet more would say they like the wheels than would say they didnt like the wheels
Old 08-16-09, 11:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Whichever label you want to give it, the new Toyota Venza looks like a winner.

The 2009 Toyota Venza goes on sale this fall, and Toyota calls it a "crossover sedan.'' That means a fusion of characteristics that lean more toward a car than a conventional sport-utility vehicle. Think of the Venza as a station wagon and you'll probably get the point.

Of course, it doesn't look exactly like any station wagon we've seen before. Unveiled at Detroit's North American International Auto show in January, Venza drew lots of attention. Among vehicles currently available, it reminds us most of the Ford Edge crossover.

There's a lot of the Lexus RX350 in this Toyota, too, though the Venza is pressed down closer to the ground, and sleeker. Its front end is taller, but definitely molded in the theme of Toyota's current Camry sedan. The Venza's rear glass has a nice, long rake, and its taillights wrap around the rear fenders onto the hatch. Its standard wheels measure 19 inches in diameter, while 20-inch spoked alloys are optional. In sum, the Venza is one of the more handsome, interesting vehicles Toyota has launched in some time.

A look at its dimensions brings the crossover label into perspective. At 109.3 inches and 189 inches, respectively, the Venza's wheelbase and overall length match both Toyota's Camry sedan and Highlander sport-utility within fractions of an inch. In other words, the Venza's footprint on the pavement matches both Camry and Highlander closely. Yet with an overall height of 63.4 inches, the Venza slots right in the middle of the Camry and Highlander. It's ride height falls somewhere in the middle, too.

The 2009 Venza seats five, like the Camry, rather than seven like the Highlander. Its rocker height, or the lip around the bottom of its passenger doors, is low, making it easy to lift feet inside, yet the hip point for seated occupants is higher than the typical sedan's. The combination should deliver a mix many buyers seek: easy ingress and egress, with a higher seating position for a better view around tall vehicles on the road.

Toyota hasn't published cargo volume for Venza, but by appearances its capacity will fall somewhere between Camry and Highlander. There isn't as much space behind the Venza's second seat as there is in the Highlander, which has enough room for an optional third row. Yet the space in back of the Venza compares favorably to the Camry's trunk, and it increases when the rear seat backs are folded flat. A couple of easy-to-use levers allow Venza's 60/40 split rear seat to be folded from the back when the rear hatch is opened, without walking around to the side doors first. It's load floor seems lower than that in the typical SUV.

The Venza's base engine will be a big, new four-cylinder displacing 2.7 liters. Toyota hasn't released its horsepower or torque ratings. The upgrade will be the same 3.5-liter V6 offered in several Toyota products, including Camry and Highlander, generating 268 horsepower at 6200 rpm and 246 pound-feet of torque at 4700 rpm. Both engines come with a six-speed automatic transmission, and Venza will be offered with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive. With the V6 and proper equipment, maximum towing capacity will be 3500 pounds.

We'd anticipate that Venza has a fully independent rear suspension, but it's also possible that it's equipped with a space-saving solid axle of some sort. Toyota isn't saying yet and we weren't able to crawl underneath for a look. A Toyota engineer on hand at the Detroit auto show said Venza is at least partially based on the Camry. The Camry has an independent rear suspension, though that doesn't necessarily mean the Venza will.

We're sure it's fitted with a full complement of front, side and head-protection airbags, with a small knee-protection bag for the driver. It also features Toyota's new STAR active safety system, which integrates anti-lock brakes, traction control, electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist, and vehicle stability control with a rollover mitigation system.

The Venza's dashboard splits the front portion of the cabin into two figurative halves. A prominent center stack holds most of the buttons and controls, including the dash-mounted gear selector, and drops down into a long, wide console. The largest console compartment looks big enough to hold a laptop, and it's fitted with an auxiliary audio jack and at least one 12-volt power point. The Venza's rear seatbacks recline up to 14 degrees for an extra bit of passenger comfort.

Even the least expensive Venza will come well equipped. Standard features include automatic dual-zone air conditioning, cruise control, a six-CD changer, tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio controls, remote keyless entry, an electro-chromatic rearview mirror with compass, rear wiper and privacy glass. The Venza will also be offered with at least a couple of new, big-ticket options. Toyota's first panoramic sunroof has separate glass panels over the front and rear seats, with the one in front literally opening to the top of the windshield. The Automatic High Beam headlight system automatically dips to low beams for oncoming traffic, then returns to high beams when the road ahead is empty.

The 2009 Venza should reach showrooms with the traditional model year changeover in early fall 2008. It will be built at Toyota's assembly plant in Georgetown, Kentucky.
Old 08-17-09, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
I think the RX is good too The only reason I don't like the Venza is that it's not as luxurious.
A Lexus version, of course, would take care of that problem, but the stock Venza, as it stands, is not exactly mundane.
Old 08-17-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Whichever label you want to give it, the new Toyota Venza looks like a winner.
The Outback, however, its chief competitor, is so solidly entrenched in the marketplace that the Venza has its job cut out for it. It may, however, receive a boost from the fact that some potential Subaru new Outback buyers are concerned about the potential reliability of the new CVT in the four-cylinder 2010 Outbacks. Because of this, 2009 Outbacks, with a conventional automatic, have been selling briskly, and, of course, the Venza itself is another option.

The 2009 Toyota Venza goes on sale this fall, and Toyota calls it a "crossover sedan.'' That means a fusion of characteristics that lean more toward a car than a conventional sport-utility vehicle. Think of the Venza as a station wagon and you'll probably get the point.
Of course it is a wagon. The "crossover sedan" term is ridiculous.

Of course, it doesn't look exactly like any station wagon we've seen before. Unveiled at Detroit's North American International Auto show in January, Venza drew lots of attention. Among vehicles currently available, it reminds us most of the Ford Edge crossover.
Wrong. Several other "wagons" look more or less the same way.

We'd anticipate that Venza has a fully independent rear suspension, but it's also possible that it's equipped with a space-saving solid axle of some sort. Toyota isn't saying yet and we weren't able to crawl underneath for a look. A Toyota engineer on hand at the Detroit auto show said Venza is at least partially based on the Camry. The Camry has an independent rear suspension, though that doesn't necessarily mean the Venza will.

AWD cannot be used with a beam axle....it pretty much has to be IRS. It could (maybe), with an old-fashioned live axle, but the Venza is not a truck.
Old 08-17-09, 07:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

mmarshal i dont think your average buyer gives too much throught about CVT reliability... problem might come when they test drive the CVT and go thinking WTF is this? when the mash pedal to the metal and nothing happens :-).

I used to think virtual gears in CVT's are silly before I actually tried CVT (I had Prius before, but it is not the same feel at all), and after trying out CVT transmission, only way to drive it and stay sane is via manual gears :-)
Old 08-17-09, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

CVT has no place in a premium car that shows any inkling of catering to knowledgeable enthusiasts**. BMW, Lexus and Mercedes know this well.

Venza is already outselling Outback in July 2009, impressive start, surprised me a bit.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-17-09 at 10:34 AM. Reason: ** exception being hybrids
Old 08-17-09, 09:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
CVT has no place in a premium car that shows any inkling of catering to knowledgeable enthusiasts. BMW, Lexus and Mercedes know this well.

Venza is already outselling Outback in July 2009, impressive start, surprised me a bit.

I was suprised by that as well. It's outselling the Subie YTD too.
Old 08-17-09, 11:35 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too think it’s going to be a winner for Toyota. My best friend just got it and I had a chance to be a passenger in it. It is probably one of the best looking Toyota's out on the dealerships right now. IMHO, both exterior and interior looks great, well porportioned with good interior quality materials. The panoramic moonroof is very nice (an option I saw at the Toyota dealership when my mom bought her 2010 Prius).

He has the 3.5L FWD version, and it’s got plenty of pickup, feeling similar to the RX350, and was averaging 23mpg with a lot of highway driving (Concord CA – Daly City). With the 20" tires, ride quality feels a little harsh over bumps for a crossover. Not enough damping for such a heavy car with huge wheels. On the good side, it exhibited very little body roll. Price ranges from $30k - $38k fully loaded; so it will compete with buyers of the Highlander and Sienna.
Old 08-17-09, 12:04 PM
nsfink
Driver School Candidate

Default Driving Venza

I really think the Venza is a great cross-over and was ready to buy one but then I drove the RX-350 on the same day and could really see and feel the difference in quality. The Venza has many assets but when you drive it side by side with the RX its no comparission in quality and feel. I'm not putting the Venza down but for me it was obivious the differenc.
Old 08-17-09, 12:57 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

The 24s aren't for me, but I'm also one intrigued by the idea of the Venza. It's got the hauling perks of a wagon, a great step-in height for taller folk and, according to most people, it still drives like a good Toyota sedan. Major irony that this car is the "sportiest" Toyota available here.

This car only needs 19-20" wheels because its wheel wells are so enormous. With smaller wheel wells, the car would sit higher and would look like an SUV.
Old 08-17-09, 07:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's interesting that the Venza 'replaced' the Solara, and actually I do think the Venza is more stylish.
Old 08-17-09, 08:45 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
if i needed a cheap family wagon, that would be it.
Except it's not even that cheap. I thought it'd be a low 20's, 25K car. Turns out a nicely optioned V6 could run you over 30K MSRP easily....
Old 08-17-09, 09:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
It's interesting that the Venza 'replaced' the Solara, and actually I do think the Venza is more stylish.
How does that work? (Venza replacing Solara)
Old 08-17-09, 09:51 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
How does that work? (Venza replacing Solara)
It's not a real replacement, simply that besides the Camry sedan, there was either a Camry coupe (later Solara) and/or a Camry wagon (later Venza). There were some product planning reports noting that the wagon (Venza crossover) is coming in while the Solara is being discontinued.

Quick Reply: Any other Toyota Venza fans??????