Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

US Department of Justice Demands Export/Surrender of Kaizo Skyline GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 10:45 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down US Department of Justice Demands Export/Surrender of Kaizo Skyline GT-R

http://www.2009gtr.com/2009/08/us-de...r-60-days.html

These ****** should have better things to do such as cracking down on organized crime, terrorism and drug cartels. What a waste of tax payers' money.
Old 08-17-09, 10:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the government seizes it, perhaps someone can buy it at auction for cheap?
Old 08-17-09, 10:53 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a piece of paper write the vin number the guy included in the letter, take a **** in a box and put the vin number on that and mail that off to them.

Or.....Draw a really nice picture of a skyline and write the vin number on that and send that to them.

Seriously though, this strong-arming needs to stop. There are people being rape/killed/w/e everyday and they decide they want to worry about someones automobile that is not ecofriendly. What about all those big rigs that spew out tons more smoke? What about the governmental private jets that billow out tons more pollution than the skyline owner ever could? Total hypocrisy.
Old 08-17-09, 10:56 AM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, I like how he comes of as a douche with the very truly yours bit.
Old 08-17-09, 11:01 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the "“if my information is correct” part. Maybe he is a bit unsure?
Old 08-17-09, 11:17 AM
LexFather

What a waste of taxpayer dollars. In other words, not surprised.

Old 08-17-09, 11:50 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, it is a waste of taxpayer dollars, but there is another side of this arguement. As I read, the car was shipped here in non-operational order or as parts; and the car is being assembled here in the States by the owner. I know for a fact that the importing of cars which DO NOT meet our federal and safety standards/or emissions regulations IS NOT illegal if they are shipped with the sole purpose of being used as parts. In most cases, when they are shipped this way, the cars are CUT into several pieces thru their frames to assure that the vehicle cannot just simply be put back together. Because the car does not meet our safety regulations (seatbelts, emissions standards, lighting regulations, re-inforcement of front/rear/side impact zones. etc. to name a few), it is for that reason that the car cannot be operated on our streets. We as taxpayers, have demanded that these regulations be put in place for a reason; the interest of public safey for all. Keep in mind that the idiot lawmakers may be pushing these various bills, etc, however it is the common everyday person who demands that these things are even put into place in the first place(Interest groups, consumer complaint depts, etc.). Sounds like the owner wanted to try to get a cool car into the country, be exclusive about it by having one which is not normally imported in because it fails to meet regulations, utilized the "loop hole" in the import clause by having is shipped in and declared thru customs as a parts vehicle, and is now trying to put it back together. The one thing that he didn't figure on, in his glorious plan, was that sooner or later he was gonna have to get tags for the car to drive it. Most states will not let you acquire tags unless the car is inspected, and I am pretty sure this is where the car met it's failure. It may have passed the mechanics' inspection and given a clean bill of health; assuming that he even managed to get the car back together after it had been cut into pieces to get it here to the states. However, the VIN number was taken at inspection, in order for him to get tags. It may have taken a little while to catch it, but remember when the car was brought into the states it was declared to be a parts vehicle to U.S. Customs; which now puts him into the category of falsifying a federal document. Honestly, the seizure of the car is a small consolation to what he COULD be facing in the way of jailtime. I don't agree with the practice, however we have to remember to look at both sides of the story; and this is just MY opinion on what may have happened. I have seen this practice many times before, with a friend of mine, who imports parts cars into the US. My friend however, will sell you parts from the import, however, he will NEVER sell you an entire structural section to be used to build the imported car again. He is/will be still responsible for the VIN number and will be held accountable if the car hits the streets.
Old 08-17-09, 11:50 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex

http://www.2009gtr.com/2009/08/us-de...r-60-days.html

These ****** should have better things to do such as cracking down on organized crime, terrorism and drug cartels. What a waste of tax payers' money.
ECR33 = not GT-R.
but yeah...I would hate to receive a letter like that...
Old 08-17-09, 05:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

This is why you get all those parts to install on a 240 shell you got for cheap. The 240 shell has the right VIN...of course you might be able to have the customs guy show up and fork over the 240 shell with the original GTR VIN firmly attached to it and call it a day. Not like I've ever heard of someone doing something like this, but I did hear a story about an Alfa with a FIAT VIN once.
Old 08-17-09, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Read the letter again. It's not necessarily an export ultimatum. **** said that IF the car was not DOT/EPA legal, and operated on a public road, then the government would start the repo process in two months. That gives the owner some two months to show (or present evidence) that it IS legal. And, even after two months, repo proceedings don't just happen overnight. Don't forget, DOJ is a bureaucracy, with endless red tape.
Old 08-17-09, 08:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Too bad for the owner of that vehicle, but hopefully they can find some way to fit the regs and keep the car.
Old 08-17-09, 09:19 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put the VIN on a Altima or Sentra...
Old 08-17-09, 11:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I cant even believe that. I would do anything and everything to get around it. Thats got to suck
Old 08-19-09, 10:10 PM
LexFather

Well it seems after reviewing the facts what they did was illegal and they have defrauded customers. You cannot have a car taken apart then sell it as a "kit" car. They tried to reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally stretch interpretations here.

Old 08-19-09, 10:16 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Claim that its a show car and its unintended for the streets. Get a aquainted with a small dealership pay for the extra dealer plate and drive on that...

Quick Reply: US Department of Justice Demands Export/Surrender of Kaizo Skyline GT-R