Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Ford Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 09:35 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Review!! I have seen a few SHO's in Chicago with the Michigan manufacturer tags, my question is how would you compare to cars like the avalon and the impalla and to an extent the g8?
Old 08-18-09, 09:48 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. great review!! Nice to see Ford making some nice cars. That car is not bad.
Old 08-18-09, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know this car is going to be a nice jump for Ford in terms of power, build quality, and performance
Its build quality is OK, but, as I stated in the review, some things seem to fall a little short of its own brother Fusion.

Unless its got evo or STI performance I dont know if many people will be able to look past the fugly sheet metal
Well, some of the folks who bought the old model may take a look at it, but it is less conservative than the old model (but still has a nice traditional American luxury-car interior), so time will tell if the new model will sell or not. The (apparant) loss of the wagon and Mercury versions certainly won't help.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-18-09 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Nice review mmarshall.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
I would guess the Taurus X would compete too closely against the Ford Flex.
Though I haven't reviewed it, and can't make any absolute comments on it, in general, I thought the whole Flex program was needless and a marketing error. Even discounting the larger Expedition and Explorer, Ford already HAD two other small-to-medium-size SUVs in the line-up....the Escape and Edge (and, of course, the Mercury Mariner, the Escape's twin). And then, on top of that, the Mazda Tribute, CX-7, and CX-9 SUV's are all Ford-owned. So, as I see it, the LAST thing in the world Ford needed was ANOTHER small-to-mid-sized SUV like the Flex.

Making decisions like that, I sometimes wonder how Ford avoided bankrupcy like GM and Chrysler.

I do agree with bitkahuna, calling it less granny doesn't sound like much praise. IMO it's a pretty negative statement and contrasts completely with everything else you laid on in your review.
No, it doesn't contrast. The "less Granny" comparison was a metaphor to indicate that it is less conservative in both interior and exterior styling. The suspension and tires are also set up a little more for firmness and responsiveness than the last Taurus, although, of course, it's no sports car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-18-09 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Pretty minor issues.
Well, yes, I agree. Unlike, say, the Mitsubishi Outlander, which I thought was a borderline POS, I really didn't find a while lot on the Taurus to complain about. I'm going to find both Plusses and Minuses on any car...that's just the nature of a review. But the Minus list, on this car, was not very long, nor did it have many serious issues on it. In fact, the lousy marketing decisions and policies for the new Taurus, IMO, are worse than the car itself.

I think it will get Motor Trend Car of the Year.
Definitely a possibility. Other strong candidates, IMO, depending on just when and how they are released, will be the fuel-cell Honda FCX, extended-range hybrid Chevy Volt, Buick LaCrosse, Chevy Camaro SS, and Cadillac's new flagship (yet to be named).

Overall a very good car that is right in between a Camry and Avalon.
It handles better than either the Camry or non-Touring versions of the Avalon, and has, IMO, a better interior than either one. I address this in more detail in my reply to bad co's post, below.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-18-09 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
Great Review!!
Thanks.

I have seen a few SHO's in Chicago with the Michigan manufacturer tags, my question is how would you compare to cars like the avalon and the impalla and to an extent the g8?
The biggest difference between the new Taurus and those other cars is in the suspension/steering. It easily outhandles (and has a slightly firmer ride than) most stock versions of the Camry and Avalon, both of which are softer in the chassis and have better ride comfort to compensate. I haven't tested the Touring version of the Avalon, which might be a little stiffer than the other models. The noise isolation on the new Taurus is excellent (with the specific tires on the one I drove) and appears as good as on the library-quiet Avalon.

The G8 GT, with its much larger N/A V8, outpowers the standard 3.5L Taurus, but may or may not outpower the 365 HP, twin-turbo Ecoboost SHO......you'll have to check auto mag tests for that. The G8, being an Australian RWD design, of course, has better-balanced handling and quicker steering response, though the Taurus corners very flat on the front suspension for a FWD car, and has good resistance to body roll. I much prefer the Taurus interior to the G8's (which I thought was generally dull and cheap) and also prefer it to both the Camry and Avalon interiors. The Taurus back seat, in particular, is superb.
Old 08-18-09, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
wow. great review!! Nice to see Ford making some nice cars. That car is not bad.
Thanks. The Taurus is a great overall package, but, as I mentioned a couple of times, it would have been even better with the quality of its own brother Fusion's sheet metal and hardware.
Old 08-18-09, 11:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Very nice interior, Ford is making some nice vehicles these days. First the Focus, then the Fusion and now the Taurus. I might actually have to Ford back on my list the next time I shop for a car
Old 08-18-09, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Very nice interior, Ford is making some nice vehicles these days. First the Focus, then the Fusion and now the Taurus. I might actually have to Ford back on my list the next time I shop for a car
The European-spec Focus is a far more sophisticated and sporting small car than the American-market Focus, which, in comparison, is pretty much an econobox. Like you note, the American version not a bad car by any means, (I reviewed one not that long ago) but is basic transportation and not a whole lot more.
Old 08-18-09, 11:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The European-spec Focus is a far more sophisticated and sporting small car than the American-market Focus, which, in comparison, is pretty much an econobox. Like you note, the American version not a bad car by any means, (I reviewed one not that long ago) but is basic transportation and not a whole lot more.
I heard that even the Euro version of Toyotas are better handling than the US version. I guess the US highway is too straight
Old 08-18-09, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I heard that even the Euro version of Toyotas are better handling than the US version. I guess the US highway is too straight
In Europe, Ford has an AWD, 350 HP turbo Focus RS with an in-line 6 that they considered bringing to America, then pulled the plug on the idea. It could have competed here with the Subaru STi and Mitsubishi Evo......perhaps even more so.
Old 08-18-09, 03:13 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good review for a good car.. but how is it a minus that there is so mercury counterpart?
Old 08-18-09, 04:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think it's that the belt lines are high on both cars, the side windows appear 'short'.
Yeah, that's probably why it looks a bit Chrysler-ish to me.
Old 08-18-09, 09:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, it doesn't contrast. The "less Granny" comparison was a metaphor to indicate that it is less conservative in both interior and exterior styling.
less conservative than what? your summation was:

What we have here, for 2010, in one simple sentence, is a somewhat less Granny-like Taurus.
just my opinion, but i think that's WAY off the mark and doesn't summarize, at all, in "one simple sentence" what this car is. is a camry or accord "more granny" than this?

this car is a monumental step forward over the prior car AND relative to its competition today. while no car is perfect, what other car today offers similar options, room, value, refinement, and features?
Old 08-18-09, 09:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
less conservative than what? your summation was:

just my opinion, but i think that's WAY off the mark and doesn't summarize, at all, in "one simple sentence" what this car is. is a camry or accord "more granny" than this?
I don't know how else to explain it, Paul.......but, I'll try once again. "Conservative", in the sense, as I was using it and how it applies to the old model, means squarish, body design, ride comfort, traditional American large size (though not as big as the Crown Victoria), and a general attraction to an older crowd of drivers. I myself don't necessarily believe in auto "images" (you know that from some of my posts in prior threads) but I tried to describe the difference between the old and new Taurus in terms that many CL members, who DO believe in "image", could relate to in their minds. Most, apparantly, agree with me...or at least have not raised the issue.

As far as a Camry or Avalon being "Granny", no, they're not necessarily old-folks cars, but they ARE conservative in the sense that I was using the term, though the Avalon Touring model and Camry SE maybe slightly less so.

while no car is perfect, what other car today offers similar options, room, value, refinement, and features?
I'd say the Lexus GS and Infiniti G and M-class, but they, of course, are more expensive than the Taurus. I'll also reserve judgement on the Buick LaCrosse until I see it, although it promises to be a very tough competitor to the Taurus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-18-09 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Ford Taurus