Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Phaeton to return to US.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 11:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Again, the misinformed public...
Pagemaster please read this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-car-chat.html

Please you are just as much as the "misinformed public" as you accuse people of being. If someone is wrong, you can politely correct them and even add a link if you can to back it up.

Trexus, the Phaeton actually shares its platform with Bentley. Its built in a custom factory we all could eat off the floor of.

More of the tour here

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/23/p...aeton-factory/

Old 08-19-09, 12:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I say the internet is funny b/c for nearly a decade I have watched people love to recommend cars THEY WON'T BUY WITH THEIR OWN MONEY."

Well said, I've been trying to communicate this message for weeks.

Thank God, the leading premium car makers actually listen to owners that actually have a consistent history of owning this type of car.
Old 08-19-09, 01:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It IS quite so. The public buys unreliable BMWs and Mercedes V12s; why not VW's?
Actually, no. Public leases unreliable BMW and MB V12's
Old 08-19-09, 02:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If Hyundai can bring over a $60K luxury car, VW is welcome to try again. Only thing is, VW now owns Audi, Porsche, etc. and thus has its own luxury channels. But perhaps the Passat CC is an indication of an upscale path.
Old 08-19-09, 02:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
If Hyundai can bring over a $60K luxury car, VW is welcome to try again. Only thing is, VW now owns Audi, Porsche, etc. and thus has its own luxury channels. But perhaps the Passat CC is an indication of an upscale path.
With the Porsche CEO, the guy with common sense, kicked out, VW can continue to do whatever they want, even if it makes little sense. Except to see more fighting and cars in the same segments between brands and even more sharing.

Old 08-19-09, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Actually, no. Public leases unreliable BMW and MB V12's
OK....you may have a point. We all know that leasing keeps (or at least HAS kept) BMW and Mercedes dealerships in buisness.
Old 08-19-09, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

"I say the internet is funny b/c for nearly a decade I have watched people love to recommend cars THEY WON'T BUY WITH THEIR OWN MONEY."[/B]
An irrelevant statement, IMO. Some people can only afford to (or have the space and time for) one car at a time (maybe two at the most). We all can't be Jay Leno or an Arab Sheik.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-19-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 02:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An irrelevant statement, IMO. Some people can only afford to (or have the space and time for) one car at a time (maybe two at the most). We all can't be Jay Leno or an Arab Sheik.
Although it wasn't my original statement, IMO I see it as completely relevant statement when it comes to internet chatter, not just here on CHIT CHAT. Most of the cars mentioned here do not require the financial status of Jay Leno fortunately.
Old 08-19-09, 03:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Although it wasn't my original statement, IMO I see it as completely relevant statement when it comes to internet chatter, not just here on CHIT CHAT. Most of the cars mentioned here do not require the financial status of Jay Leno fortunately.
Mike my comment was not a slight at all to anyone who cannot afford the car, it was quite the OPPOSITE. My point is people that CAN afford the car tell people to buy basically an "off brand" not the usual status quo. However when the times comes, they BUY the status-quo, not the off-brand. Its rare to see a bunch of people who claim "oh image doesn't matter, I don't care" to actually buy those cars where image doesn't matter. Otherwise we all would be posting on Phaeton and RL forum.

Old 08-20-09, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike my comment was not a slight at all to anyone who cannot afford the car, it was quite the OPPOSITE. My point is people that CAN afford the car tell people to buy basically an "off brand" not the usual status quo. However when the times comes, they BUY the status-quo, not the off-brand. Its rare to see a bunch of people who claim "oh image doesn't matter, I don't care" to actually buy those cars where image doesn't matter. Otherwise we all would be posting on Phaeton and RL forum.
Yes, I understood with you meant. But I guess I'm one of those rare (or uncommon) people. I would seriously consider an RL IF I were spending 40-50K on a car, not just talk about it. But I just don't care to put that much into a new car....for me, 25-35K is enough (maybe 40 at the most). But you, as a car reviewer yourself, and someone who, like me, recommends new cars to other people, know that what is best for your needs, wants, and pocketbook is not necessarily the case for someone else.
Old 08-20-09, 10:20 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would seriously consider an RL IF .
Are you talking Acura RL here?
Old 08-21-09, 08:52 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The resale value of these things is only matched by the RL and maybe Q45 for being just dismal but it gives a 2nd/3rd owner a lot of car for the money.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...=p4506.c0.m245

yup these cars are dirt cheap used...
i always thought the center stack always looked very dated... so plain and flat w/ bunch of buttons...
Old 08-21-09, 10:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

As if a 70K VW didnt already fail and failed miserably. It was pathetic. I have seen 2 on the road
Old 08-22-09, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Are you talking Acura RL here?
Yes. Even though it has a goofy grille and lacks a V8, it is the cream of the crop, in its class, in solidness and build quality. However, it costs more than I would want to put into a new car.
Old 08-22-09, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As if a 70K VW didnt already fail and failed miserably. It was pathetic. I have seen 2 on the road
That may not be the case, this time, if more people actually GO look at it. However, even at a bargain 90K for a W12 version, that's still more than a lot of people would want to (or could afford to) spend. The Phaeton is a bargain ONLY in comparison to its 120K-150K Mercedes and BMW competitors.

Quick Reply: Phaeton to return to US.