Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hyundai embracing future. going all out with the sheet metal

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 01:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
The CRV sells about 10% more unit than the RAV4, I think its mostly due to CRV loyalist. Beside a nicer interior, the CRV really have nothing over the RAV4. The RAV4 have a V6 engine, AWD lock, more cargo space and more toys.
Yup. I understand the CR-V is a decent vehicle. I just can't believe people actually get past the looks of it. Its horrific. MPG is also very average. The RAV-4 V-6 gets the SAME MPG highway as the CR-V I-4 and only gets 1 less in the city.

WTF?

I don't want to get started on sheep but seriously WTF.

Old 08-18-09, 03:06 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How on earth can we compare a concept pic to a production RX? Please explain? I find the front end offensive, it should be illegal. It also reminds me of this, the Ford Kuga we don't get.

That reminds me of Audi SUV.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nice BMW rip-off .
HUH? How does this look like a BMW?
Old 08-18-09, 03:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8

The concept drawing, with it's sculpted lines and fenders looks similar to an X5.
Old 08-18-09, 04:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The concept drawing, with it's sculpted lines and fenders looks similar to an X5.

do you think sculpted lines only belong on a bmw?

everyone else should have no lines?

X5 in the flesh. hyundai lines look nothing like it

Old 08-18-09, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,346 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Maybe I did take it the wrong way.
it's all good, and maybe i was too vague. between kia and hyundai models they're definitely angling for a bigger slice of the pic in cuv/suv sales. look at what they have already! hyundai has tucson, santa fe, and veracruz. kia has borrego, sorrento, and sportage. so that's 6 cuv/suv models already. a bit of a confused product line IMO, almost like they've been throwing lots of stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks. but it will get rationalized and improved and they will be a major force to be dealt with.

But yeah, I like Hyundai. It's hard not to admire what they are doing.
i agree. i still have a huge complaint though with s. korea's protectionist trade policies and tariffs.
Old 08-19-09, 07:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup. I understand the CR-V is a decent vehicle. I just can't believe people actually get past the looks of it. Its horrific. MPG is also very average. The RAV-4 V-6 gets the SAME MPG highway as the CR-V I-4 and only gets 1 less in the city.
I agree, I think it has to do more with the reputation of the gen 2 RAV4. The last gen was more of a college kid's mini SUV, and many people still associate the new with that image. Once inside the new RAV4, that small compact SUV image will disappear fast. I once put a 6 ft sofa in the RAV whereas the same sofa did not fit into my old Lexus GX470, that’s how big the cargo area is. Also, I also agree that the V6 RAV is a engineering marvel of power and efficiency.
Old 08-19-09, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, I think the CRV is the best-selling SUV in the US. It looks pretty good to me, with decent wide track and unique roofline.
The CR-V doesn't necessarily sell because of its looks (unlike you, I think it's awkward-looking), but its reliability. It is one of the most bulletproof car-based SUVs ever done. Its assembly quality, IMO, is also superb.

I see a lot of styling comparisons between the CR-V and the new Tucson, though, as some have pointed out, the grille is different. The Tucson may be a better value, though, for the dollar. Its reliability record, after a rocky start, is generally good (not quite that of the CR-V), and it is substantialy cheaper.
Old 08-19-09, 08:48 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Nice BMW rip-off .

Too many vehicles are starting to copy BMW, or are adding ridiculous character lines/wavy curves that go nowhere and are not cohesive with the rest of the vehicle.

Not sure what your definitions of "flat" and "bulbous" are, but I don't see it with the RX.
Totally agreed.

Originally Posted by KA8
It rips the design language more than any thing else.

I see people are finally sensitized to Bangle's "Flame edge" surfacing, I still think it's stupid and poorly executed on most of the vehicles that it's found on today.
Old 08-19-09, 10:21 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Faymester sees an Infiniti.
Old 08-19-09, 10:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The CR-V doesn't necessarily sell because of its looks (unlike you, I think it's awkward-looking), but its reliability. It is one of the most bulletproof car-based SUVs ever done. Its assembly quality, IMO, is also superb.
Doesn't necessarily are the key words here. Yes, the sales stats (facts) speak for themselves. The CRV drives very well for a 4 cylinder SUV based on my driving experience, most 4 cylinder SUVs are not as pleasant to drive.
Old 08-19-09, 11:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When I compare the two, the RAV4 handle as well as the CRV. The biggest difference I notice was that CRV had a better interior, CRV's rear seats are as hard as park benches, the CRV's engine sounds like a lawn mower when fully open and the CRV has no match for the RVA4 V6.
Old 08-19-09, 12:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
do you think sculpted lines only belong on a bmw?

everyone else should have no lines?
I think that some automakers should stop with the "gee whiz" styling, adding ridiculous lines and curves that are often not cohesive. They should also stop adding sculpted lines just for the heck of it.

They are coping BMW in ideology, even if it may not be coping the exact lines. What do new Hyundai models have in common style-wise to previous generation Hyundais? Nothing. There is no design continuity, they simply are copying what are the latest popular "gee whiz" trends. It might look good to many people, but it also establishes a reputation that Hyundai simply follow and copy others.

Everyone else should focus on more cohesive styling, where the entire car looks like it is part of one styling theme. Obviously to some, that's not as glamorous as the "gee whiz" styling they are putting out now.
Old 08-19-09, 12:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't make any blanket statements about styling and character lines because almost every car maker in play has good designs and bad.

Examples IMO:

Mediocre to Bad: X6, 6 series, 7 series, TL, RX, R, Cayenne

Good: 3 coupe, X5, IS, GS, LS, ML, C, S, CLS, Boxster, 911
Old 08-19-09, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Well we can't fault Hyundai for trying. THis has been a brand blander than Toyota and they have never been known for style or innovation. They are trying to find their identity car by car.

Its not an overnight process. Toyotas and Hondas were bland for the most part for decades!

Old 08-19-09, 03:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm very impressed with the products and concepts coming from Hyundai. I like this Tucson concept