Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Highest recorded speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 08:23 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshell

I wonder what the highest-recorded speeding-ticket fine was.......or the longest recorded jail sentence for speeding? (assuming that the license was not not permanently revoked, and the sentence was for just speeding, and not in combination with other offenses)[/QUOTE]

I read a while back that a guy in England got a year in jail for being clocked at over 180mph in a Porsche 911 turbo.

The biggest clocked speed was a very well published (i.e. media coverage) of a Honda CBR motorcycle clocked at over 200mph in Minnesota, did not know the outcome.

There is something fishy about this story, don't you think if a car was really clocked at over 240mph on U.S. soil that the mass media would be all over it.
Old 08-19-09, 09:25 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OC 335i
73 is a toll road pretty close by to here. Not sure about 240+, but 155 is definitely possible. I'm sure 180+ is possible.
on the NB definitely. coming down that hill if you're crazy enough.
Old 08-19-09, 09:44 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I read a while back that a guy in England got a year in jail for being clocked at over 180mph in a Porsche 911 turbo.

The biggest clocked speed was a very well published (i.e. media coverage) of a Honda CBR motorcycle clocked at over 200mph in Minnesota, did not know the outcome.

There is something fishy about this story, don't you think if a car was really clocked at over 240mph on U.S. soil that the mass media would be all over it.
re: England, they def have stiffer rules over there (and up here too for that matter)

re: 240mph+, I think you guys have some laws about max penalties from way back which is why the fines are not completely in line. Also, I think if word got out that you could some super high speed and ONLY get a fine, there would be more people doing it so I would expect some hush-hush.
Old 08-20-09, 07:56 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Really fishy story, the product of over-hyped teenage fantasies. It was one of mine too, to take a Ferrari GTO that was capable of just over 210mph on the Mulsanne Straight at LeMans (prior to course changes in '88), through one of my favorite speed traps on the then-new Interstate 10.

It would require a team to block the highway for a distance of about five miles, unload the car from a transporter at the east end of the impromptu course, and position an enclosed transporter out of sight a couple of miles west of the highway cop. Accelerating hard from the starting line, I could blast through the trap as something approaching 200 before shutting down and putting the car away in the second van and releasing the highway to normal traffic after about five minutes' delay.

The only downside was that I wouldn't be able to observe the cop's reaction as that red blur tore through his line of vision. I don't think he'd believe the reading on his K2 and would possibly be found jumping up and down on is radar gun at the side of the road. I wondered if I could somehow build bleachers at the site - I coulda sold a LOT of tickets . . . witnessing that reaction would have been priceless.

The problems with outrageous speed on Texas highways is not the road surface. Without the freeze-thaw cycles experienced in Northern climes, a well-designed and constructed highway will remain billiard-table smooth for several years. Old state and federal highways are best because they no longer have the traffic the Interstates experience, and many remain in excellent condition for much longer.

Our "problems" relate to law enforcement. State troopers generally patrol the major highways, but county sheriff's deputies usually can be found off the beaten path where enthusiasts drive. Blazing through a hidden radar trap at triple digits will not only get you a VERY large fine, but your car will often be impounded for "investigation". This could (and has) taken MONTHS before the car is returned to the owner, occasionally in pieces. They legitimize the action by a court-ordered "drug search" - sort of the mechanical equivalent to a body cavity search without the nicety of the rubber glove. Reassembly is optional.

With a 200+ mph speeding ticket issued, I would imagine the car's owner is still waiting for his ride to be returned. When it is, it will give new meaning to the concept of "kit car".
Old 08-20-09, 09:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an accomplishment that's not noteworthy.
Old 08-20-09, 08:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I watched James May on Top Gear take the Bugatti Veyron to 253 mph at a VW testing facility in Germany and it was awesome, but speed like that on a public hwy is a death wish. I think they actually did some hunting for animals in the area surrounding the track to assure that no animals would dart out onto the track while trying to hit Vmax in a 1.5 million dollar car
Old 08-20-09, 08:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I refuse to believe that there is anywhere where one could get a Buggati up to 240 on a public street. It takes a lot and perfect tuning for the Veyron to even reach that speed in the hands of its engineers.

on a sreet .... NO, but on a desert highway it can be done with NO issue at all. I live in AZ and we have highways that are rubberized and baked smooth in the insane heat and there are many places North, East, South, And West of the city that you could goto late night or early morning where you would never seen a soul.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-23-09 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 09:57 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

This ticket was a hoax/fake. Verified by the local newspaper. The blog is part of the OCRegister so it is definitely credible (second largest newspaper next to the LA Times).

http://crime.freedomblogging.com/200...ot-quite/5199/
Old 08-21-09, 09:09 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
Yup, I got a ticket for 85 in a 65 that cost me 300 and 6 points to my liscence
me too, 85 in 65 but 290 and suppose to be 5 points... but the judge dropped it to 84 in 65 and made it 230 and 3 points... but the judge was still a *****... she kept stating "85 is too fast, 5 mph slower than 90mph and 10mph slower than 100mph" and she didn't say anything to the 10 people before me who was going 83-81-84mph... only me (I was like WTF is she only yelling at me)
Old 08-21-09, 10:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have had criminal speeding tickets in the past ( over 20 over the sped limit) and freaked out the other day when I got nailed at 85 in a 50. The cop was cool and let me go . I got sooooo lucky.
Old 10-23-09, 11:27 AM
traf2009
Driver School Candidate

Wait a minute...how did the cop stop them to write them a speeding ticket? If I was going that fast, no way I would stop knowing that they could not catch up to me. Plus I would have so much of a distance on them that I would have time to pull off the highway and hide.
Old 10-23-09, 03:15 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Can I share that I JUST had a speeding ticket for $550 USD
Old 10-23-09, 03:26 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm lucky. So far didn't get caught speeding. It would have been bad one night. Did about 3.3x the posted speed limit (one wrong move I would have been in the water or in someones house) :/ If I did get caught no more license and no more car for a very long time and probably some jail time.
Old 10-23-09, 04:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
I'm lucky. So far didn't get caught speeding. It would have been bad one night. Did about 3.3x the posted speed limit (one wrong move I would have been in the water or in someones house) :/ If I did get caught no more license and no more car for a very long time and probably some jail time.
If it was a 15mph zone, then you were going 50mph, that would be a big woop.
Old 10-23-09, 08:11 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
If it was a 15mph zone, then you were going 50mph, that would be a big woop.
Agreed....not impressive unless we're talking highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Highest recorded speeding ticket