Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suckers want $120 for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 07:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$120? That's what I pay for 6 oil changes. Seriously. No need to pay much more than $20.
Old 08-20-09, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was once charged 115 dollars for an oil change at Scottsdale Infiniti. I was totally ripped off. After that I would just go to Wal Mart and pick up some 5w30 mobil and take it to them and just pay for the filter and disposal
Old 08-20-09, 09:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lexus charges me $49 for an oil change
Old 08-20-09, 10:41 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The 09+ Maxima is recommended (not required) to use the Nissan Ester oil, Nissan dealers charge like $120 or $130, the days of cheap oil changes are going bye bye, even when I changed my own oil with Synthetic, usually $6.99 a quart and a Mobil1 filter at $12.99 or K&N at $14.99, the total is usually $50-$70 bucks and that is before the oil is changed and then I have to dispose of the oil, and I don't go to WalMart, I just don't follow the philosophy of cheaper is better, everything has a limit.

2 of my cars have full maintenance for 60 months/75k, it's such a pleasure to not have to worry about changing the oil, but I find it odd that most over look obvious maintenance items on the car they just purchased.
Old 08-21-09, 02:36 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Don't feel so bad about $120 for an oil change. On my Benz I change the oil myself and it cost me $100...8 quarts of MB1 $58, oil filter $20 plus $20 for the local econo lube to change it out = 100 bucks before tax.

One way to find out if your dealer is ripping you off is to change it yourself and see how much it cost. I did and I no longer think Mercedes dealer is ripping me off with oil changes anymore. Ok maybe I still do since they charge $170 for oil change, but for $70 more some people do not mind the mark up and the hassle of DIY so they go to the dealerships. Plus you get a free car wash.
Old 08-21-09, 05:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

for $49 at the dealer, no way in hell Id go to a Jiffy Lube type place. Dealer will give me a car wash also.
Old 08-21-09, 06:46 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't know where you buy your oil, but Wal-Mart's price on Mobil 1 is $22 for 5 quarts. It's $44 for oil for my IS-F since it uses 10. OEM Filter is less than $10...
Exactly!

6 quarts of mobil 1 at costco is $33 I think, OEM filter for me was $5

$38

vs

quick change at $70+

or dealer

$120 +
Old 08-21-09, 10:22 AM
DCNASER
Pole Position

To Ali: I am not a man Mr. I am not complaining, but this is ridiculous. You are just way smarter than I am ha. Be quiet will ya.

Last edited by DCNASER; 08-21-09 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 12:21 PM
duboseq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yang1815
since it's a lease, would you have to worry about the warranty?
That is a good question. But wow man that is pricey.
Old 08-21-09, 03:26 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It HALF of a ripoff. If VW requires synthetic oil for your car (which, of course, costs a lot more than dino oil), then synthetic oil, at the proper intervals, it HAS to be, to keep the warranty in effect. The factory oil-filter claim is probably bogus. Federal law allows use of non-factory filters IF they meet VW standards.....as most probably do (but I wouldn't trust cheap-lube shops to always use good ones). Still, $120 for an oil change, even considering synthetic oil, sounds like a lot. Mechanics, in the typical new-car shop, work at about a $90-an-hour labor rate.........and typical oil change, with nothing else needed, should take about 15-20 minutes.
i agree 98%... whether or not hte oil change takes 15 minutes of 1 hour, the dealer charges whatever book time is, probably 0.5 hr. since the shop charges $90 to $120 and hour, you're looking at $45 to $60 in labor, plus the oil and filter, tax and disposal (EPA) fees.
Old 08-21-09, 06:41 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

I know it's a lease, but if I do get into some issues and then the suckers tell me Oh I put a wrong filter in there, then what happens? I know there are always ways around it, but I just looked at the 10K miles service they have, and it involves lots of craps such as : Oil change and filter with 7 qrt of synthetic oil. Check all fluids and fill. Check on brakes and rotors. Rotate and balance. Lubricate chasis. Update any computer systems as they come. So I guess hell with it, I won't do the next oil change till 20K.
Old 08-22-09, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DCNASER
I know it's a lease, but if I do get into some issues and then the suckers tell me Oh I put a wrong filter in there, then what happens? I know there are always ways around it, but I just looked at the 10K miles service they have, and it involves lots of craps such as : Oil change and filter with 7 qrt of synthetic oil. Check all fluids and fill. Check on brakes and rotors. Rotate and balance. Lubricate chasis. Update any computer systems as they come. So I guess hell with it, I won't do the next oil change till 20K.
Well there is a reason VW continues to be near the bottom in quality and dealer service. A bad mix.

Old 08-23-09, 11:52 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

How long are the oil change intervals on the VW, my friend has an A4 and it eats oil, the turbo 4 has 20k it and it sounds ridiculously rough at idle, glad it's a lease cause I would not want to see her pay for a new engine eventually.

Your best bet is to find a local place and bring the oil and filter and slip the guy 20-40 bucks, stand and watch.
Old 08-24-09, 07:28 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others here have said:
1) Walmart or Costco - Synthetic Oil
2) Get Oil filter from car parts store,dealer,or online
3) Take it to (trusted) car mechanic to do it.
It's a ritual many people perform every 5K - 10K. Keeps your $120 oil change to $69 plus labor+ $20 . Depending on what the local place charges, it could be a wash.
Old 08-24-09, 08:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Our 2nd vehicle is a lease. It is a 2008 Jetta, which we love. First oil change I took it to a local near by dealer for the 1st 5000 miles oil change, and they charged my $116. I just noticed it now, even though I have done it 4 months ago. What the heck! I called and they said yes we use synthetic and it takes 7 quarts and the oil filter is a dealer one and blah blah blah. This is absolute rip off. I called the branch I leased my car from and they said well, if you bring it to us for the 10,000 it will be $80 for oil change unless you also want to do the rotation, so it will be $140. I said are you serious? You want me to pay $120 every 5000 for an oil change? She said no, the next time will be at the 20,000, oh great!! am just excited. This is ridiculous, I guess this is how they really get you. She said if you go to express oil for example, they will use an aftermarket filter and if oil also isn't synthetic you will void the warranty. I understand to a degree, but comeonnnnn $120 for an oil change? I paid $34.99 for my lexus AT A DEALERSHIP. The service guy said: Ya this isn't a Lexus, being sarcastic. I should just go and drop off this crap and leave it.
I thought VW offers 3 years free scheduled maintainence on their vehicles. Oil changes will be done annually even if you do not reach the 15k mile mark. $120.00 is not out of the ordinary for oil changes on German cars. My BMW dealer charges $130.00 for an oil change if I decide to change it sooner than required. All synthetic motor oils are not created equal. National off the shelf brands like Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec do not meet European long life standards (research this) and are not formulated to withstand high heat over the long haul (15k or 1 year) as the European formualted oils. If you go with the national brands like Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Royal Purple, etc. you will have to do oil changes much sooner than the Euro blend.. It is all about preference..

I can tell you that if you were to do the oil changes yourself with euro formulated oil, be prepare to pay over 70 bucks on parts alone. BMW long life oil for example is $10.95 per quart. You will need 7 quarts if you have a 335 just like your VW, so that is $76.65 in oil alone. The Mann oil filter another $17.95. In total, it will be $94.60 for a diy job.

Quick Reply: Suckers want $120 for an oil change