Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler removes its lifetime powertrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Post Chrysler removes its lifetime powertrain warranty

Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

(AP) – 2 hours ago

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Chrysler Group LLC said Wednesday that it is dropping its lifetime powertrain warranty in favor of a 5-year, 100,000-mile guarantee.

Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau said the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period. Powertrain warranties typically cover repair or replacement of transmission and engine parts.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...GjLBAD9A66LB01
"Basically, the assumption of a lifetime warranty just wasn't that big a deal to consumers," Deneau said.

The 5-year, 100,000-mile warranties will be transferable to new owners if the vehicles are sold before they run out, he said. The previous lifetime warranties were not transferable.

The new warranty program also includes the automaker's SRT and Viper models, which were excluded from the lifetime warranty. But the Sprinter van and the diesel version of the Ram pickup remain excluded, Deneau said.

The change is effective with the start of the 2010 model year.

Old 08-19-09, 08:15 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not terribly suprising.
Old 08-20-09, 12:11 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
Not terribly suprising.
Exactly what I was thinking
Old 08-20-09, 01:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised at all. I knew they wouldn't be able to keep this up, plus with the Fiat partnership there is no way they would keep this. Fiats have a notorious reliability reputation.
Old 08-20-09, 03:56 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau said the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period.
This is a joke, right? Let me get this straight. through their very own research, ChryCo discovered that customers do not like lifetime powertrain warranties, but would rather have a fixed time period? Yep, definitely a joke!
Old 08-20-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I cannot say that the Chrysler lifetime powertrain warranty have change my mind about buying a Chrysler in any way or form.
Old 08-20-09, 05:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

who would keep a Chrysler for that long anyways
Old 08-20-09, 06:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
I cannot say that the Chrysler lifetime powertrain warranty have change my mind about buying a Chrysler in any way or form.
Bingo,,..........

Old 08-20-09, 10:02 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
This is a joke, right? Let me get this straight. through their very own research, ChryCo discovered that customers do not like lifetime powertrain warranties, but would rather have a fixed time period? Yep, definitely a joke!
It could be accurate if the fixed-length warranties don't have the absurd hoops to jump through that the lifetime one does. IIRC, in order to maintain eligibility for the LT warranty, the car has to be brought in for inspection every year within 2 weeks either direction of the date it was purchased. If you don't get it inspected within that one-month period, your warranty is void.
Old 08-20-09, 10:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what would expire first, the warranty or the company.

But I agree, not a big factor in sales generation.
Old 08-20-09, 11:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The problem with Chrysler is not the power train, its the little things like interior panels falling apart, electrical glitches and cheap interior material quality. I had a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that everything fell part and the engine was still running like new.
Old 08-20-09, 02:37 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good they're including SRTs and Vipers. It's also good because of transferable warranty. They should offer 10 year like hyundai does to at least make it competitive. I wouldn't buy a Chrysler but a Viper wouldn't be too bad.
Old 08-20-09, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It could be accurate if the fixed-length warranties don't have the absurd hoops to jump through that the lifetime one does. IIRC, in order to maintain eligibility for the LT warranty, the car has to be brought in for inspection every year within 2 weeks either direction of the date it was purchased. If you don't get it inspected within that one-month period, your warranty is void.
I think geko29 has it right. A non-restricted and transferable 5-year warranty is probably better than a much longer (or lifetime) one with a million restrictions and loopholes.

That's the main problem with the 10/100 and 5/60 Hyundai/Kia warranties......otherwise, their vehicles are an outstanding value. First, it is not transferable, on a resale, outside of the immediate family (father, mother, siblings, etc...) Second, the 10/100 part, in the drivetrain, only covers Hyundai/Kia-sourced drivetrain parts......the others are included in the 5/60 bumper-to-bumper part. It also stipulates some restrictions on where the car is serviced, although some of that runs into complications with existing state and Federal laws.
Old 08-20-09, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
They should offer 10 year like hyundai does to at least make it competitive.
See my comments above on the Hyundai/Kia warranty.
Old 08-20-09, 03:13 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather have 6/60 on a known reliable vehicle and have the warranty as insurance and never use... than to have lifetime on a clunker and know that I will use it several times and waste my time getting it fixed.

I heard that in the same survey that they found out consumers don't like unlimited warranty but prefer warranty with an expiration that those same people also preferred non-alcoholic beer over regular beer to get drunk and they also preferred the taste of sewer water to filtered water.

Quick Reply: Chrysler removes its lifetime powertrain warranty