Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sad day for car tuners :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 08:58 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Honestly I don't blame car companies. If you're a consumer and want to mess with the stock performance of the car and expect warranty work to be done you're gambling. It's not exactly fair for someone to pay for your own misfortunes/mistakes. You take the risk when you change something that the car makers aren't intending to warranty.
Like the guy who had a heavy modded 335i. The engine blew up or something and he was left with tens of thousands of dollars in repairs. Oh... and the car was a leased vehicle.
Old 08-20-09, 10:28 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuners will get around and make more money on it. I remember when Mercedes said that no one but the dealer will be able to get ahold of theyre star program, now instead of paying 15k for it you can get one for 3k, then again a new star came out and with out the update you are no longer in the network and no more updates for the new models.
Old 08-21-09, 12:05 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Here's a piece of news - it's a Federal requirement for the ECM to be able to be reflashed. However, nothing says the entire engine code needs to be reflashed, only the tuning parameters. Add to this PERMANENT OBDII DTC recording (also on Lexus for 2010) and you've got reflashable with full recording of what you've done.

Also, Toyota is building its own operating system and hardware architecture, due for production in 2015. If you don't think that will keep Scion/Toyota/Lexus from being cracked, you're really confused.

Why have all the Euro cars been hacked? Because European programmers can be bought, and the aftermarket will pay to get the crypto keys. Why has Toyota never been cracked? Because the Japanese programmers can't be bought. How do I know? Friends in the industry.
Old 08-21-09, 12:15 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If BMW and Audi(as well as Bosch and Continental Automotive) does this, they are violating a a trade rule that allows aftermarket flashing of ECUs with OEM firmware.
Old 08-21-09, 12:19 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Also, Toyota is building its own operating system and hardware architecture, due for production in 2015. If you don't think that will keep Scion/Toyota/Lexus from being cracked, you're really confused.

Why have all the Euro cars been hacked? Because European programmers can be bought, and the aftermarket will pay to get the crypto keys. Why has Toyota never been cracked? Because the Japanese programmers can't be bought. How do I know? Friends in the industry.
Actually, Honda's been cracked - it's called Hondata and they've busted the newer Civic Si/TSX/RSX/RDX PCMs, and some hardware mods needed on CR-V and Element PCMs.

Also, the new Toyota ECU solution is also being adopted by Keihin as well, which is of course Honda. I also read Nissan/Hitachi maybe on board as well.
Old 08-21-09, 05:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Not surprised at all...

BMW ain't dumb.

By the way, can you provide a link for that? Thanks.
Someone read it here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293673
Old 08-21-09, 07:07 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
Welcome to the world of 2nd Gen IS lol
No, welcome to the world of Toyota/Lexus Circa 1989.

***EDIT****

I would bring up a point I made in a thread from some time ago, but I'm sure i'll touch a few soft spots, so better I not bother.
Old 08-21-09, 07:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the world that doesn't surprise me or concern me, plenty of performance is available for street use.
Old 08-21-09, 07:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Welcome to the world that doesn't surprise me or concern me, plenty of performance is available for street use.
I agree - Not a surprise really.

As mfgrs try to contain/control costs, warranty costs will be high on their radar.
Old 08-21-09, 08:46 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Checkmate BMW.
Old 08-21-09, 09:55 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
..........until chip and re-flash detectors become available for them, too.
With older cars they are out of warranty so I don't see the point in dealers doing that.
Old 08-21-09, 03:32 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Honestly I don't blame car companies. If you're a consumer and want to mess with the stock performance of the car and expect warranty work to be done you're gambling. It's not exactly fair for someone to pay for your own misfortunes/mistakes. You take the risk when you change something that the car makers aren't intending to warranty.
i agree, if you want to mod the car, it's on you if it breaks. when i was a tech, i hated it when people tried to get the warranty to cover things that to me were obviously abused or neglected, etc.
i dont' understand why bmw has to go to that step however. why not just tel lthe customer, "if you want to reflash it, fine, but you don't get any engine or trans issues covered under warranty". that leaves it open to people who accept the responsibility and want to play with their toys.
Old 08-21-09, 07:18 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I think the real reason BMW is doing this is because they do not want their cheaper cars like the 135i and 335i to outpeform the M3, with just a thousand dollars of mods and ECU tweaks. The potential for the N54 six cylinder twin turbo could be endless, but BMW because of money wants the more expensive car i.e. M3 to be the fastest. It's a shame BMW used to care only about peformance on the track and did tuning to what will be best in that enviorment , now it is only about selling the highest priced car they can to you.
Old 08-21-09, 07:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I think the real reason BMW is doing this is because they do not want their cheaper cars like the 135i and 335i to outpeform the M3, with just a thousand dollars of mods and ECU tweaks. The potential for the N54 six cylinder twin turbo could be endless, but BMW because of money wants the more expensive car i.e. M3 to be the fastest. It's a shame BMW used to care only about peformance on the track and did tuning to what will be best in that enviorment , now it is only about selling the highest priced car they can to you.
Thats just nonsense. As similar as the 335 and M3 are, they are completely different, and warranty repairs is the only reason BMW doesn't want people try and "overclock" their already complex engines.
Old 08-22-09, 04:54 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

BMW doesnt seem to realize that the increase in sales these days are due to the modability of these cars and a lot of yound buyers are putting up the cash.... if they limit them from modding the cars ... could have a adverse effect on the tuner market.. ultimately a decrease in sales... may be they will have few warranty claims.. but as a manufacturer who is all about performance should not be a hypocrite ... any which way thier cars fail in stock/brand new form... maybe they ought to pay more attention to making reliable cars first before they go knocking the wall down on the tuners!!

Quick Reply: Sad day for car tuners :(