Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura says it's putting fuel economy ahead of performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-09, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ah, but think of the time. It was the most powerful Accord then. Which, the market did not need. However, this powertrain would clearly be ideal for a TL or TSX that averages 30 MPG instead of the 24ish of the current ones.
Not really. I test-drove an Accord Hybrid (though I did not write up a formal review) and, despite its power ratings on paper, its throttle response was not much different than a regular Accord V6. Neither was its fuel economy, by EPA standards. Yet its price (and dealer markups) was substantially higher than regular Accords. The public saw that it was basically a waste of money (Accords, as you know, usually sell like hotcakes), and, in this case, I agree that it was not worth what it cost. I also don't think it would have been a good TL or TSX powerplant. The SH-AWD, IMO, is a far better option for those two cars.....and, fortunately, Acura saw that, as they are now offering it.

But yes, I'm all for a TL and TSX hybrid, if they can get a better and more efficient one than the Accord got.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-09 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-23-09, 07:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are only somewhat off topic, that's a plus.
Old 08-23-09, 09:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. I test-drove an Accord Hybrid (though I did not write up a formal review) and, despite its power ratings on paper, its throttle response was not much different than a regular Accord V6. Neither was its fuel economy, by EPA standards. Yet its price (and dealer markups) was substantially higher than regular Accords. The public saw that it was basically a waste of money (Accords, as you know, usually sell like hotcakes), and, in this case, I agree that it was not worth what it cost. I also don't think it would have been a good TL or TSX powerplant. The SH-AWD, IMO, is a far better option for those two cars.....and, fortunately, Acura saw that, as they are now offering it.

But yes, I'm all for a TL and TSX hybrid, if they can get a better and more efficient one than the Accord got.
I don't disagree that the Accord hybrid was a waste of money. Nevertheless, in Acura form people will spend the money on the green image. Also keep in mind that the Accord hybrid was paired to the 3.0L V6. Honda's new 3.5L in the Accord features cylinder activation and 270 HP vs. the 244 HP 3.0L.

For comparisons sake, the 3.0L Accord is rated for 18/26 (AT). The current 3.5L Accord is rated for 19/29. Therefore, if Honda took the time to pair the 3.5L with their hybrid drive, it would certainly be a more powerful and efficient setup than the 3.0L Accord hybrid.
Old 08-23-09, 09:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think if Acura simply created a RWD TL, rather than the FWD or the heavier AWD, it would be a contender with Infiniti. To be a contender with Lexus it would need to increase it interior quality slightly ( the leather would be a great start), and add a bit of cream to the suspension. Acuras dont float like Lexus cars

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-24-09 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-23-09, 11:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honda has the most of the ideas down for Acura, but they are doing a awful job executing them. Hell, Honda's sinking faster than the Titanic these days. The Civic Hybrid and Insights are flops compared to the Prius, Honda has the arrogance to say they're the "greenest" car company in America, but a LS/GS/SC/IS gets equal or better MPG and/or emissions ratings than a Fit or their SUV lineups. Heck, the Pilot and RidgeLine are marginally better, if not equal to a F150 with the Triton 5.4L 3V V8 or the Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 MPG wise. and their interior quality has taken a dive - their product lineup post-2008 is full of hard, cheap plastic. They're the Abercrombie of the car world.

Last edited by nthach; 08-23-09 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 12:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would give them more credit than that, but I do think they need to chase the passion of the drivers not just the mind
Old 08-24-09, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think if Acura simply created a RWD TL, rather than the FWD or the heavier AWD, it would be a contender with Infiniti.
The TL has an AWD option now (so will the TSX, soon), like the Infiniti G and M seroes. In that sense, it DOES compete.....though Acura's SH-AWD, of course comes off a FWD platform rather than a RWD one like Infiniti.

To be a contender with Lexus it would need to increase it interior quality slightly ( the leather would be a great start),
Don't just single out Acura for this. Cheaply-done leather (or synthetic leather) is a growing problem is a number of upmarket brands, unless you get the absolute top-line models. I have commented on this extensively during reviews. Even Jaguar leather, once the cream of the crop, has shown some cheapening. In fact, the Japanese, on the whole (including Acura) now do a better job in the leather department than the Germans.

and add a bit of cream to the suspension. Acuras dont float like Lexus cars
Even LEXUS models, for that matter, aren't as soft-riding as they used to be. I have also commented on this a lot lately. Most of the auto industry has become obsessed with handling over ride comfort.
Old 08-24-09, 03:25 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

so which one their cars have impressive mpgs??? (no need to answer)

they should just stick to their other praise regarding meeting the 5-star test crash rating