Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura says it's putting fuel economy ahead of performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 11:21 PM
LexFather

Post Acura says it's putting fuel economy ahead of performance

Seriously, its like a big joke that runs every month and every year.

Acura says it's putting fuel economy ahead of performance
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...73357440515813
Mark Rechtin
Automotive News
August 17, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES -- In the heated luxury-car wars, horsepower is king. Or is it?

In a reversal of years of performance-based product development (which cars were that exactly?), Acura sees fuel economy as a way to differentiate itself from other luxury marques.

"Hitting the 2016 CAFE requirements is going to be hard," said John Watts, senior manager of Acura product planning. "We are betting more in the fuel economy direction.

"Although we are in a horsepower war, we feel that fuel economy is the way to go ... while striking a balance to meet the needs of the market."

Granted, Acura won't walk away from high-performance vehicles ( they don't have any). But would most luxury sedan owners be offended by a powertrain tuned for a 0-to-60 run of 6.4 seconds, as opposed to 5.8 seconds, if the end result were three more miles per gallon (actually buddy, the competition offers NOW what you are proposing WITHOUT losing performance)?

It likely doesn't help Acura's performance credibility that parent Honda Motor Co. axed its V-8 and rear-wheel-drive development programs. That might force the brand to look at other ways of standing out.

"We are not following the same approach to the market, (no kidding)" Watts said. "After we come out of this economy, things are going to be significantly different in customer behavior and what customers are looking for." (yes everyone will have taken advantage of this time and continued to roll out high HP/performance products/hybrids and diesels while you TALK about it)

Watts said the luxury customer of the future won't just focus on horsepower as the key feature.

Watts sees Acura taking a lead position in other areas, such as user-friendly technology. (in other words we have nice Navigation)

Acura also is studying hybrid versions of its vehicles. (again studying while others HAVE these vehicles already)

"It's a logical direction," Watts said. (yes Lexus figured that out in 2006)

Wags may wonder about the genuineness of Acura's fuel economy mission as the brand rolls out a V-6 version of the redesigned TSX, which previously came only as a four-cylinder. (, also a ZDX that gets 16/22 and offering AWD in nearly all your products which hurts MPG)

But with the new TL sedan becoming larger and more expensive, the TSX V-6 holds a place on the Acura pricing ladder for returning TL owners who cannot afford the new model. (well thats a slap in the face, except you can get TLs for 4k off list and reports of 6/7k in some instances)

Old 08-20-09, 11:50 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura putting fuel economy ahead of performance = we don't know how to build a car with a V8.
Old 08-20-09, 11:59 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I can see the next Acura press release next:

"Acura will focus on cars with substance, rather than style"

Give me a break Honda!
Old 08-21-09, 12:11 AM
06TLDude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem with what Acura is doing. They will continue to sell cars and at the end of the day that’s all that matters, especially in this economy.

Anyway, here comes another 10 page thread with the same old comments. For an irrelevant brand, Acura sure does get a lot of attention here on CL, I mean A LOT! Prediction, this will turn into another rehash of every other Acura thread.

Admins, CL may need an Acura sticky, just a thought.
Old 08-21-09, 12:24 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Acuras aren't bad for that they are, but there isn't a much of a value proposition with them.

Honda has always been technically arrogant - they won't build a torquey motor or a V8, nor can they make a proper automatic tranny.
Old 08-21-09, 05:10 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
But with the new TL sedan becoming larger and more expensive, the TSX V-6 holds a place on the Acura pricing ladder for returning TL owners who cannot afford the new model. (well thats a slap in the face, except you can get TLs for 4k off list and reports of 6/7k in some instances)
Interesting comment because I read about the V6 TSX in this month's R&T and thought to myself finally a smart move by Acura. The V6 TSX is about the same price as the old TL and FWIW much better looking than the new TL and offers similar performance of the old TL-S. Brilliant.

But after this comment I feel somewhat tainted and used. I think most current TL and TSX owners would pick the V6 TSX over the new TL. NOT because they cannot afford it as the senior PP manager of Acura stated but because they do not like the design of the new TL and they are either going to leave the brand or buy a V6 TSX which looks to me to be a very nice car.
Old 08-21-09, 05:30 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm just glad Acura isnt making bacon.
Old 08-21-09, 05:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

New flash, Acura want people to buy their car for what it is, not how good it looks from the outside.
Old 08-21-09, 05:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
Acura putting fuel economy ahead of performance = we don't know how to build a car with a V8.
what car do they build NEEDS a V8 ????

RL?? it only weighs 4083 lbs...doesn't need a V8 (Note BMW 5 series 4542 lbs, 7 series 4700 lbs)

Last edited by bagwell; 08-21-09 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
what car do they build NEEDS a V8 ????

RL?? it only weighs 4083 lbs...doesn't need a V8 (Note BMW 5 series 4542 lbs, 7 series 4700 lbs)
Acura dont need a V8 just like Lexus dont need a V8 . I would say one of the reason why Lexus is where they are today is because they decided to built a V8 engine some odd years ago.
Old 08-21-09, 05:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would say one of the reason why Lexus is where they are today is because they decided to built a V8 engine some odd years ago.
I wouldn't...

I respect Lexus more for the GS450h powertrain than any V8 they've built.
Old 08-21-09, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
I wouldn't...

I respect Lexus more for the GS450h powertrain than any V8 they've built.
I am talking about the 1st LS V8, Lexus didnt have a Hybrid version back then.
Old 08-21-09, 06:46 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We know what comes LAST at the board meeting:

Agenda for Executive meeting- 8/12/2009
453. Blah Blah
454. Blah Blah
455. Blah Blah
456. Power
457. Blah Blah
458. Exterior appeal
Old 08-21-09, 06:46 AM
Koma

What's wrong with best of both worlds? Performance with better fuel economy?

DI is doing that quite well. Or they can make all their engines VTEC and they can advertise huge horsepower but still get decent fuel economy (because you have to wring out the engine to get those numbers but if you drive it nicely you'll get good fuel economy).

I think Acura has it's niche, I just find it pathetic that they state they can be tier 1 by continuing to do nothing different. Acura is a perfectly great car to compete with the likes of Volvo, Saab. Some of their cars compete with tier 1 but that doesn't make them tier 1 as a whole brand. At the end of the day they'll still sell tons of vehicles because of brand loyalty and brand reputation (well maybe less so with their unique designs).
Old 08-21-09, 08:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The excuses backed by dated technology is all that we've seen so far.

Quick Reply: Acura says it's putting fuel economy ahead of performance