Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Can't Be Alone Here: Do you get road rage and how do I stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 02:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've definitely had a few moments. Basically if somebody does something ignorant, dumb, or selfish, I'll honk or flash my lights just briefly to get their attention so maybe they'll consider what they just did and maybe in the future not keep doing it. At that point I drop it. However some people react badly when you do that... like they get mad that you chastised them even though what they did was obviously wrong.

The worst altercation I've ever had by far was when a guy pulled right out in front of me in a Suburban. I was in my Audi A4. I had to hit my brakes and still was right on his ***, but I only hit my brakes enough to keep from rear ending him, cautiously kept my foot near the brake pedal and tapped on the horn. I'll also add at no point did I continue tailgating him after that... only as long as it took for him to accelerate up to the speed limit and I was back at a reasonable distance. Well he ends up getting pissed, swerving, getting behind me and following me and at the next red light he puts down his window yelling about how he has a pregnant wife in the back and I was following dangerously close (lots of cursing and threatening gestures included of course). I told him if he didn't pull right out in front of me then I wouldn't have been on his ***. He said if I wasn't speeding like a maniac I he wouldn't have pulled out in front of me. I told him I was doing at the most 45 in a 40 (honest truth, not a hair over) and even if I was doing 35 I still would have had to hit my brakes to keep from rear ending him and that his pregnant wife would have been at risk because of HIS driving, not mine. Well I guess this guy really didn't like to be told he was wrong and a bad driver because he actually got out of his Suburban and started walking toward my car. I have a concealed hand gun permit and was carrying my .40S&W Sig P229. Of course you never want to brandish a weapon ever... bad idea all around and illegal, too, unless the situation warrants USE of the weapon. But I did at that point tell him he needed to get back in his SUV or he'd be in serious pain and it would not be due a fist fight. I think he got the message and got back in his SUV... light turned green, and I pulled away without him following me. Still amazes me to this day looking back at it.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sadly my experience is most Acura/Honda drivers are jerks so I'm not surprised of the car cited in this example...
You know how when a person already believes something they tend to notice things that support their belief and ignore most things that don't? I think that's your problem here. You already have your mind made up so that's primarily what you notice. I've never noticed Honda/Acura drivers being jerks more than any other driver. Although I think the highest frequency of jerk drivers seem to be people in riced out cars, which admittedly are often times Hondas, but the difference in the typical driver of a stock vehicle and a riced vehicle is huge by default no matter what brand the car is. Seems to usually be because the driver is usually young and feels like they have something to prove.

In fact if I had to name a brand where the drivers of stock vehicles are generally the biggest jerks, it'd probably be BMW!
Old 08-22-09, 02:37 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

a lot of scary ***** happens on the road.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...edicament.html

that was not my best moment
Old 08-22-09, 03:03 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

My list!

Mazda 6 Drivers....Douche Overlords. These clowns finally get a job that will support car payments, so they trade in their Ford Tempo on a 6. The 6 is the first car with power these retards have owned...and they need to show that to everyone. Don't forget your loud intake and fetus shooter exhaust, cause that gives you an extra 15hp in your head. You will either hear Kid Rock, Nickleback, or Creed blaring through the windows of this speed machine.

Any minivan or SUV with a Soccer Ball or Stick Figure family member sticker on it. These space program entries will not only drive 35 kids to Playland. They will do it in the left lane while talking on the phone going 5 under. When the moment of clarity that they need to make a right, RIGHT EFFIN NOW! hits this unique Gucci wearing stepford wife. Cindy Lou looks in her rear view (not the side mirrors) to check for cars. Cindy verifies that she doesn't see any cars through the thirty something head bouncing around back there...and whips the land tank right. The eighteen wheeler next to her slams on his brakes, nails the air horn while all his cargo is heading forwards at 70mph. Cindy Lou while holding the still connected phone 6in from her head, now gives the "how could you, what did I do" look.

Other Lexus Drivers....Cause they need to let me know that their stock GS300 is faster than my stock GS300. You have a GS...I have a newer GS and I'm going to cut three people off to show you that. IS guys...The only reason I don't drag you out of your car and throat you in front of your Lady Gaga acid trip looking skank woman. Your probably a member here.

Dodge SRT4 Ftards...These are former Z28, Mustang GT, Formula350/GTA owners. I shouldn't have to say more than that...but I will.
These cars are most commonly found parked near. 1. Mom's minivan. 2. Mom's double-wide trailer. 3. Four non working F-bodys and a dukes of hazard painted station wagon. Everyone that owns these cars are either named Cody, Austin, or Nick. and oh do these guys want to race...race a bike, race a truck, race each other. And don't forget to crack that rev limiter at grandma in the town car. That biotch better recognize who she's driving next to.

C-Class Benz guys...Just because your car says Mercedes doesn't mean you have to make sure your in front of my Lexus at all times. Ride my ***, punch it around me...then slow down so your not speeding and your trunk is parallel to my door. 4motion to me, means slow motion when you leave the line and I'm in front of you again. Don't forget to 1000yard stare me down as you pass me again. You divorced 45 y.o. impotent winner accountant, you!

There is more...I'm just hungry now.

Last edited by neurocity; 08-22-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 03:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

An easy thing to remember to keep your temper in check w/ road rage, at least in check to the point where you don't go walking up to stranger's cars, is that some of them are legally carrying fire arms, and will shoot you if they're left with no other means of escape of potential serious bodily injury. They'd also be legally justified.
Old 08-22-09, 03:40 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was younger I had alot of road rage. Now that I've "grown up" a little I've learn to just chill and let idiot drivers do what they do. I still get upset at drivers but I just pass them or let them be as long as they don't endanger me.

I have heard over and over again to just let it go, but when it happens, something just takes over and you cant control it.
It's easier to say let it go when your on the computer and not mad. Your situation would've made me mad also but if he was following you home I think I would've called the cops and stop at a gas station or something.

Originally Posted by RXSF
a lot of scary ***** happens on the road.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...edicament.html

that was not my best moment
I'm suprised so many were saying you were in the wrong for not letting that guy in. People do that all the time and it really ticks me off. Especially if they could've gotten in 1 or 2 cars behind you but decide they needed to get that extra 2 cars closer.

With people crazier than ever now, I try to avoid any type of confrontation.
Old 08-22-09, 03:45 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
An easy thing to remember to keep your temper in check w/ road rage, at least in check to the point where you don't go walking up to stranger's cars, is that some of them are legally carrying fire arms, and will shoot you if they're left with no other means of escape of potential serious bodily injury. They'd also be legally justified.
Yes, many drivers to carry a legal weapon. The problem, though, is if you did in fact shoot a road rager, you would have a lot of explaining to do. First and foremost, you would need to convince a jury that your life was in imminent danger. That means, unless the other driver had a gun also, or, walked up to you with a baseball bat or tire iron, you're out of luck. And, if you live in California, Sorry.
You can't shoot someone because you're afraid of being beaten up or your car being destroyed.
Old 08-22-09, 03:47 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
i just can't people who cant drive and talk (cell) at the same time.... straddle lanes, and making wide turns (coming into my lane)... honk at them and they get pissed at you... mostly women... damn them (people who drive this way)..
Thats one thing I don't understand. People cut you off, get in your lane or whatever and get mad when you honk at them.
Old 08-22-09, 07:59 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yes, many drivers to carry a legal weapon. The problem, though, is if you did in fact shoot a road rager, you would have a lot of explaining to do. First and foremost, you would need to convince a jury that your life was in imminent danger. That means, unless the other driver had a gun also, or, walked up to you with a baseball bat or tire iron, you're out of luck. And, if you live in California, Sorry.
You can't shoot someone because you're afraid of being beaten up or your car being destroyed.
You can shoot someone if you are afraid of serious injury which can definitely occur from being beaten up. If the guy is significantly larger than you (thinking back to the guy earlier in this thread saying he's 6'4" and pulling a guy out by his hair), he'd be legally shot in an instant if the guy had no way to escape (I'm assuming he didn't since he didn't try before getting yanked out of the car).

Yes there'd be a ton of explaining to do. That's always a serious deterrent to using a defense weapon. It better be worth potentially losing your life savings in criminal and civil court. On the flip side for the road rager approaching the car, they better be ready to lose their life to prove a point.
Each person has something to consider but the better move is to just not walk up to strangers in cars like you're going to beat them up.
Old 08-22-09, 08:35 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Use of horn. Not agressive use, just use when called for.

That is all.
Old 08-22-09, 08:47 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still dont agree that people who drive Hondas are more aggressive drivers . You can make that statement about any make or model. come on mike be reasonable
I agree these people drive a big range of cars... so long as they are young to middle age males who think they are tough *****.
Old 08-23-09, 12:00 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
Do what Kevin does...with an iPhone of course.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...ols-kevin.html
After seeing this and getting the application.. I'm gunna do this for fun.

and when people see me holding my iphone in the air pointing it at them, they wont know i'm trying to kill them. LOL.
Old 08-23-09, 12:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sorry are you me? Do you ride with me everyday? Are you hiding in my trunk? Its not honda hate and stop trying to label everything. Thats my experience and clearly many others share it. Would you rather me say "Hyundai drivers" are the worst? Well they are not.

I could write a 50 volume book on how they drive and park like complete asshats. You don't like it, sue me.

If you said "BMW drivers are the worst" I am not going to call it "hate". Thats your experience and opinion.
not trying to label, but you do have this thing against Honda and Honda drivers. Your experience shapes your opinion , but dont deny that you dislike them. I could not care less . My opinion is to each his own.

I hate American cars but will own up to it.
Old 08-23-09, 12:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I've definitely had a few moments. Basically if somebody does something ignorant, dumb, or selfish, I'll honk or flash my lights just briefly to get their attention so maybe they'll consider what they just did and maybe in the future not keep doing it. At that point I drop it. However some people react badly when you do that... like they get mad that you chastised them even though what they did was obviously wrong.

The worst altercation I've ever had by far was when a guy pulled right out in front of me in a Suburban. I was in my Audi A4. I had to hit my brakes and still was right on his ***, but I only hit my brakes enough to keep from rear ending him, cautiously kept my foot near the brake pedal and tapped on the horn. I'll also add at no point did I continue tailgating him after that... only as long as it took for him to accelerate up to the speed limit and I was back at a reasonable distance. Well he ends up getting pissed, swerving, getting behind me and following me and at the next red light he puts down his window yelling about how he has a pregnant wife in the back and I was following dangerously close (lots of cursing and threatening gestures included of course). I told him if he didn't pull right out in front of me then I wouldn't have been on his ***. He said if I wasn't speeding like a maniac I he wouldn't have pulled out in front of me. I told him I was doing at the most 45 in a 40 (honest truth, not a hair over) and even if I was doing 35 I still would have had to hit my brakes to keep from rear ending him and that his pregnant wife would have been at risk because of HIS driving, not mine. Well I guess this guy really didn't like to be told he was wrong and a bad driver because he actually got out of his Suburban and started walking toward my car. I have a concealed hand gun permit and was carrying my .40S&W Sig P229. Of course you never want to brandish a weapon ever... bad idea all around and illegal, too, unless the situation warrants USE of the weapon. But I did at that point tell him he needed to get back in his SUV or he'd be in serious pain and it would not be due a fist fight. I think he got the message and got back in his SUV... light turned green, and I pulled away without him following me. Still amazes me to this day looking back at it.

You know how when a person already believes something they tend to notice things that support their belief and ignore most things that don't? I think that's your problem here. You already have your mind made up so that's primarily what you notice. I've never noticed Honda/Acura drivers being jerks more than any other driver. Although I think the highest frequency of jerk drivers seem to be people in riced out cars, which admittedly are often times Hondas, but the difference in the typical driver of a stock vehicle and a riced vehicle is huge by default no matter what brand the car is. Seems to usually be because the driver is usually young and feels like they have something to prove.

In fact if I had to name a brand where the drivers of stock vehicles are generally the biggest jerks, it'd probably be BMW!
I agree. We all have our likes and dislikes and it does taint our sensitivity and outlook. Example I cant stand American cars as many know and I will point out any issue, defect, or known problem.
Old 08-23-09, 04:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can shoot someone if you are afraid of serious injury which can definitely occur from being beaten up. If the guy is significantly larger than you (thinking back to the guy earlier in this thread saying he's 6'4" and pulling a guy out by his hair), he'd be legally shot in an instant if the guy had no way to escape (I'm assuming he didn't since he didn't try before getting yanked out of the car).

Yes there'd be a ton of explaining to do. That's always a serious deterrent to using a defense weapon. It better be worth potentially losing your life savings in criminal and civil court. On the flip side for the road rager approaching the car, they better be ready to lose their life to prove a point.
Each person has something to consider but the better move is to just not walk up to strangers in cars like you're going to beat them up.
Many good points, here. There are just too many variables, and making a life changing decision in a split second gets a lot of people in trouble. The real question here is, what constitutes the threat of death or great bodily harm in the eyes of a jury. IMO, a guy shouting at you as he walks up to your car does not constitute that threat and you would not be legally justified in shooting him. If he comes at your car with a baseball bat and begins to destroy your car, you still would not be justified. If he takes that bat and shatters the drivers window and begins to grab you and pull you out of the car, then it could be justified and you would have a fighting chance in court.
You're right, though, every incident is different. Every single person feels fear in different ways. there are even some people that couldn't pull the trigger even if death was imminent.
Each state treats these kinds of cases (self defense) differently. Unfortunately, if you live in California and shoot and kill someone in self defense, with rare exception, your done.
Old 08-23-09, 06:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I carry my conceal pistol always, if some jerk decides to follow me home, I have that option. In order to use it you have to be in a situation where the aggressor is going to inflict serious bodily harm on you for lethal force to be authorized. Texas allows you to carry in the vehicle without a CHL as long as its out of sight and you're not a convicted felon.

There was a story here once where some guy got mad at another guy for something during driving. When they stopped at a traffic light, the raged guy got out of his vehicle went over to the other guy's vehicle, punched through the window with his bare hands. Other driver drew his pistol, shot and killed him. Ruled self defense.

Quick Reply: I Can't Be Alone Here: Do you get road rage and how do I stop