Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda cancels plans for 300-horsepower AWD Mazdaspeed3

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 02:11 PM
LexFather

Post Mazda cancels plans for 300-horsepower AWD Mazdaspeed3

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...wd-mazdaspeed3

Mazda learned its lesson about building truly high-performance vehicles with the third-generation RX-7, according to a new report, and won't be outfitting a special 'Evolution' version of its Mazdaspeed3 with all-wheel drive and 300 horsepower as a result.

The plans for the car were never solid, but with all of the necessary ingredients already within the corporate portfolio - some borrowed from the now-defunct Mazdaspeed6 - it had been a possibility. But once the tally on price and market position was made, Mazda realized it already has the right balance of performance and value, reports Motor Trend.

The twin-turbo rotary RX-7 that hit the U.S. market in 1993 was a true performance vehicle, but its pricing put it out of reach of the typical Mazda buyer, and the brand apparently isn't confident in its ability to swipe buyers from brands like Mitsubishi and Subaru, which already have dedicated and highly loyal fan bases built around high-performance, AWD turbo cars.

The updated 2010 Mazdaspeed3 will instead soldier on as the highest-performance vehicle in the current Mazda fleet, and as our partner site TheCarConnection found out during their recent time with the car, it manages to keep what made the original Speed3 such a great car while refining most of its rough spots.

Old 08-22-09, 03:02 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess the Mazda Familia GTX/GTR won't be back huh?
Old 08-22-09, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mazda learned its lesson about building truly high-performance vehicles with the third-generation RX-7, according to a new report, and won't be outfitting a special 'Evolution' version of its Mazdaspeed3 with all-wheel drive and 300 horsepower as a result.
There's nothing wrong with a 300 HP version if they want to use AWD, but not with the current layout. On the present version, the computer already cuts back the torque in first and second gears because of torque steer, so a 300 HP FWD version, IMO, would make little sense. AWD, however, would probably take care of that problem, like it does on the Evo and STi.

The twin-turbo rotary RX-7 that hit the U.S. market in 1993 was a true performance vehicle, but its pricing put it out of reach of the typical Mazda buyer
That's because Mazda made the same mistake, in the early-mid 90's, with their RX-7, that was made with the Turbo Toyota Supra, Mitsubuishi 3000 GT VR-4, Dodge Stealth Turbo, and Nissan Turbo 300ZX. The prices on ALL of these vehicles (and their insurance rates) were too high, because the companies simply refused to decontent them, preferring to try and sell them, fully loaded, at prices higher than most people could afford at the time. They had several years to recognize that mistake and correct it, but chose, instead, to simply pull those cars from the American market. It was one of the dumbest rounds of auto marketing I ever saw......and I've seen a lot of dumb ones.

That grille, Mike, is just as outlandish as anything I've seen on new Acuras or Audis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 05:05 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's nothing wrong with a 300 HP version if they want to use AWD, but not with the current layout. On the present version, the computer already cuts back the torque in first and second gears because of torque steer, so a 300 HP FWD version, IMO, would make little sense. AWD, however, would probably take care of that problem, like it does on the Evo and STi.

That's because Mazda made the same mistake, in the early-mid 90's, with their RX-7, that was made with the Turbo Toyota Supra, Mitsubuishi 3000 GT VR-4, Dodge Stealth Turbo, and Nissan Turbo 300ZX. The prices on ALL of these vehicles (and their insurance rates) were too high, because the companies simply refused to decontent them, preferring to try and sell them, fully loaded, at prices higher than most people could afford at the time. They had several years to recognize that mistake and correct it, but chose, instead, to simply pull those cars from the American market. It was one of the dumbest rounds of auto marketing I ever saw......and I've seen a lot of dumb ones.

That grille, Mike, is just as outlandish as anything I've seen on new Acuras or Audis.
It is.... smiling at me.....
Old 08-22-09, 09:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

damn
woulda put the heat on the genesis owners for sure, there would be a mini version of the evo/g35/supra battle
Old 08-22-09, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

That would have been cool to have a new kid in the evo/sti battle. They really shouldnt push to develop a 300 hp fwd layout. The car will either be a torque steer monster or will have the elcetronics slowing the car and decreasing off the line accelertiion or corner exit acceleration
Old 08-23-09, 10:50 AM
LexFather

The Ford Focus RS is FWD has 300hp and it has dominated reviews, comparos and in Europe they consider it maybe the greatest hot hatch ever. They actually had mules with AWD but preferred FWD and they amazingly figured out how to apply it to the ground effectively.

That said I would prefer an AWD setup

Old 08-23-09, 10:54 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I would have liked to see them make it - it would def be my choice over a Mitsu, mainly due to interior quality.

So does this mean no new Mazdaspeed 6 either?
Old 08-23-09, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Ford Focus RS is FWD has 300hp and it has dominated reviews, comparos and in Europe they consider it maybe the greatest hot hatch ever. They actually had mules with AWD but preferred FWD and they amazingly figured out how to apply it to the ground effectively.

We almost got the Focus RS here. Ford had plans to bring it Stateside, then pulled the plug on it.

(That's a nice paint color in that shot, BTW. Too many cars today, IMO, are painted funeral shades).

I agree with you on the AWD layout. Ford said that they considered AWD but went with FWD because of costs. But I have some doubts that they did a FWD 300 HP version without at least some torque steer. GM has been working on the torque steer problems in their transverse-mounted V8 FWD cars for several years now (Northstar, Impala SS, Pontiac GXP, etc...), with only limited success.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-09 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-23-09, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
That would have been cool to have a new kid in the evo/sti battle.

The VW R32 played that role for a while, but it didn't have quite the power that the STi and Evo did.

In the meantime, the Chevy Cobalt SS is an inexpensive pocket-rocket that goes like stink, if you can put up with its awkward, sensitive clutch, some torque steer, and less-than-first-rate interior fittings. I've reviewed both the Cobalt SS and MazdaSpeed3, and, to me, the Cobalt SS felt stronger inthe power department. The Mazda, though, not surprisingly, had a better chassis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-09 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-23-09, 03:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the focus ST (which iirc later became the RS) suffered from a front diff that was just too aggressive for the street, and made simple turns rather twitchy...

but they definitely sorted it out for the RS.
Old 08-23-09, 03:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i had no idea Mazda had plans for an AWD MS3.
Old 08-23-09, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
i had no idea Mazda had plans for an AWD MS3.
It probably wouldn't have been too difficult. They did an AWD MazdaSpeed6 a few years back, though the 3, of course, is a smaller package, with less space to fit the extra AWD hardware in.
Old 08-23-09, 10:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

does the grille bother anyone other than me . I dont want my performance car looking like its smiling at everyone. I hate the front of this car now. They jacked it up.