Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: The RX 450h and 30MPG, unappreciated and what ever vehicle should offer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 11:24 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I agree with Och, you missed the point of the argument here. A fully optioned RX350 isn't far behind. Yes for a 22 MPG car.
Not at all. A RX350 options out at $48,000

$12,000 price premium is a lot to pay for 8 more mpg overall.
Old 08-24-09, 11:32 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I could argue against all 3 points.

1.Torque: Diesels have alot of it. Hybrids do to.

2. They can't simply be sold here without measures made to meet emissions standards.
Hybrids offer torque from a standstill - I know if I mash the throttle on my parent's Prius, it almost feels like my 1LS. They're just more sedate and mannered than a diesel. I know VW was advertising the "manly" qualities of the Jetta TDI, but compared to a "proper" truck diesel like a Cummins or Navistar, it's a joke.

If you don't live in a state that uses Cali emissions standards(read: any state that is heavily liberal) you can buy a diesel car. However, not every fueling station carries ultra-low sulfur diesel. There is the issue of the urea tank and also having to regenerate the DPF. Also, maintenance on a German car isn't exactly a DIY job - you can't go to your local AutoZone or Wal-Mart and expect to find VW or BMW approved oil there. With a hybrid, most maintenance can be DIY.

If I was to buy a diesel, the only choice would be a Ford F250 SD Powerstroke. Not a dinky VW.
Old 08-24-09, 11:36 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Och;4790882]And here we are, this latest Lexus is faster, smoother and more economical than any comparable petrolQUOTE]

But again...it cost $50k-$60k to get 30mpg....when I can get 22mp for $25,000

Last edited by pagemaster; 08-24-09 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-24-09, 11:38 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Research alternative fuels including biodiesels. The cost @ the pumps will be significantly less for those who think green & want to save the green.
AFAIK VW, BMW, and Mercedes will void your powertrain warranty if you use biodiesel in their newer common rail injection diesels. Cummins, Navistar, Detroit Diesel and CAT have OKed biodiesel mixtures up to 20%.
Old 08-24-09, 11:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Not at all. A RX350 options out at $48,000

$12,000 price premium is a lot to pay for 8 more mpg overall.
What part of we are talking MPG and not price do you not understand? My initial post clearly states we are talking just MPG figures here, nothing else and I even posted the link to the single site I used for the figures.

Even if you talk price, its AMAZING a luxury SUV with a higher drag with nearly twice the weight has the same MPG as a compact/sub-compact.

Old 08-24-09, 11:45 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What part of we are talking MPG and not price do you not understand? My initial post clearly states we are talking just MPG figures here, nothing else and I even posted the link to the single site I used for the figures.
And I will be clear. Your whole thread about the RX450h is useless unless you factor in price to the comparo.

Even if you talk price, its AMAZING a luxury SUV with a higher drag with nearly twice the weight has the same MPG as a compact/sub-compact
It is STUNNING.....but when the hybrid costs $60k...you better get 30mpg with that type of development cost.
Old 08-24-09, 11:49 AM
LexFather

And I will be clear. Your whole thread about the RX450h is useless unless you factor in price to the comparo.

It is STUNNING.....but when the hybrid costs $60k...you better get 30mpg with that type of development cost.
If you find it useless, get out. Your stance holds no weight. You bump the RX to a loaded figure of 60k and ignore the base price of 43k. What about all the other SUVs and cars at 60k and more that have much worse MPG? What do you have to say about their "development" costs??????

How can you say "you better" get 30 MPG when no other luxury vehicle does???? The X5 and ML diesels cost more, what do you have to say about their "development costs".

Seriously the point is lost on you, completely.

Old 08-24-09, 11:57 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

If you find it useless, get out. ..
Some people need to be here to point out the truth.

What about all the other SUVs and cars at 60k and more that have much worse MPG? What do you have to say about their "development" costs??????
Now this makes a lot more sense...but the LX570 costs $82,000 gets 15mpg combined yet the LX570 can do things the RX350 can only dream of.

How can you say "you better" get 30 MPG when no other luxury vehicle does???? The X5 and ML diesels cost more, what do you have to say about their "development costs".
Compared with a Merc/BMW in the same segment...30mpg is a stunning achievement and should be mentioned.

But bragging about the RX mpg and comparing it to vehicles that cost significantly less is silly.
Old 08-24-09, 12:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
AFAIK VW, BMW, and Mercedes will void your powertrain warranty if you use biodiesel in their newer common rail injection diesels. Cummins, Navistar, Detroit Diesel and CAT have OKed biodiesel mixtures up to 20%.
You may want to read this http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/o...ookieSupport=1

Do you have a link regarding your statement above?

Diesel vehicles such as the VW, BMW, Merc are designed to run on regular diesel or biodiesel. There are eco friendly folks around the country filling their cars at biodiesel filling stations.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingBioDi...lfuelingsites/
Old 08-24-09, 12:02 PM
LexFather

Now this makes a lot more sense...but the LX570 costs $82,000 gets 15mpg combined yet the LX570 can do things the RX350 can only dream of.

Compared with a Merc/BMW in the same segment...30mpg is a stunning achievement and should be mentioned.

But bragging about the RX mpg and comparing it to vehicles that cost significantly less is silly.
When you post a fact with some links instead of your usual hyper-bole, then you can talk about the "truth".

What "truth" do you have? lol

You may want to read this http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/o...ookieSupport=1

Do you have a link regarding your statement above?

Diesel vehicles such as the VW, BMW, Merc are designed to run on regular diesel or biodiesel. There are eco friendly folks around the country filling their cars at biodiesel filling stations.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingBioDi...lfuelingsites/

There are 17 in the entire state of GA. Which brings up another great point about the RXh, you don't have to worry about finding a gas station to fill up the vehicle.

Old 08-24-09, 12:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

When you post a fact with some links instead of your usual hyper-bole, then you can talk about the "truth".

What "truth" do you have? lol
Truth that this review is manufactured to leave certain things out...very much like progaganda literature.

I do agree that the RX450 MPG is impressive and compared to other vehicles in the segment...very impressive. However those vehicles can do things that the RX450 can't...

Anyways...two thumbs down to this review
Old 08-24-09, 12:10 PM
LexFather

Truth that this review is manufactured to leave certain things out...very much like progaganda literature.

I do agree that the RX450 MPG is impressive and compared to other vehicles in the segment...very impressive. However those vehicles can do things that the RX450 can't...

Anyways...two thumbs down to this review
If you don't agree with it thats fine!

However let me remind you this is not a review of the 450h and again my topic was about MPG only.

Old 08-24-09, 12:10 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Bad comparo to begin with only 1 diesel car and 1 hybrid versus a bunch of other cars. Why compare and RDX with an RX450h the RDX is not trying to be the super fuel efficent suv. the rav4 V6 is not the most fuel efficent either and why compare the V6?? wat happend to the 4 cylinder with better mileage. The buick enclave?? there are pretty much no similariates. the lexus is a hybrid the buick is a luxury hauler also with a v6. i dont see the bmw x5 diesel or the touraeg diesel which r the real compeititors. idk like this one bad comparo
Old 08-24-09, 12:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the truth to what? i bought a fully loaded RX450h at near msrp. i knew exactly what i wanted, and i bought it. luxury suv with great fuel efficiency.

the LX570 is the top of the line SUV in the lexus lineup, of course it has more features than the RX350!

please re-read 1sicklex's original post. he is comparing MPG only, not price, or trim level!
Old 08-24-09, 12:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I am a "choice" guy. If my name were Mr. Green (which it isn't ), I would choose a diesel over a foreign oil dependent hybrid any day.. Torque Torque Torque for those that love to drive, tow, go...
Wow, this post is just so wrong.

First of all, I'd like to inform you that diesel fuel is made out of the same foreign oil as petrol.

As far as torque, diesels dont have it. If you learn how engines work, you'd realize that the impressive "maximum torque" figure that diesels have is meaningless. If you look at their dreadful HP numbers its clear that the torque curve is short and pathetic, which means that torque comes in short bursts and these diesel cars are geared like trucks.

Do yourself a favor, if you like driving, go drive the RX-h and GS-h. I havent drive the RX-h yet, but the GS-h goes like a jet.

On a side note, I think we should make a spin off thread of how pathetic and useless these new "clean diesels" are. The Geormans have been hyping them for years and promising them to be the best thing since sliced bread, and when it came the time to deliver, look what happened. Lets take the ML-d for instance. It is more expensive than hybrid RX, it is WAY less efficient than hybrid RX, in fact it is no more efficient than petrol RX, it is way slower than hybrid RX, and with turbocharges and all the crap that makes diesel clean it is guaranteed to be less reliable and more expensive to repair. Fail!

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: The RX 450h and 30MPG, unappreciated and what ever vehicle should offer