Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: The RX 450h and 30MPG, unappreciated and what ever vehicle should offer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 12:45 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Wow, this post is just so wrong.

First of all, I'd like to inform you that diesel fuel is made out of the same foreign oil as petrol.
Yes it is.. You are late for the party. Click a few pages back & you will see where I mentioned biodiesel . Do you know what biodiesel is ?

As far as torque, diesels dont have it. If you learn how engines work, you'd realize that the impressive "maximum torque" figure that diesels have is meaningless. If you look at their dreadful HP numbers its clear that the torque curve is short and pathetic, which means that torque comes in short bursts and these diesel cars are geared like trucks.
You clearly have not driven the latest diesels.

Do yourself a favor, if you like driving, go drive the RX-h and GS-h. I havent drive the RX-h yet, but the GS-h goes like a jet.
What?? You are talking to a guy who attends many driving events.. Hell, I invited you to quite a few over the years. Uhhhh... I drove both the GS450H (driving event, dealer) & the new RX (@ Lexus of Rockville Centre thanks Sheila Rossi).. Didn't you spot me some where in Westchester County test driving BMW & Lexus hybrids just this year? I drive vehicles & do not stay glued to a computer chair or magazine to find out about cars. As I've always said... Drive them...
Old 08-24-09, 12:47 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And here we are, this latest Lexus is faster, smoother and more economical than any comparable petrol, its even more economical than dreadful econoboxes such as Fit and Yaris, and where are these long promised clean diesels?
They are there right in front of you. You need to open your eyes.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
2. Cost. Existing diesels don't cut it in the States. They can't simply be sold here without measures made to meet emissions standards. This translates to R & D costs. Furthermore, the ML and X5 require urea injections to meet emissions. I believe that BMW has it covered in their 4 year maint. program. After that the consumer pays to have the tank refilled. If the tank runs dry, you have a certain of starts before the engine locks you out.
This claim that the tank will suddenly run dry has been beaten to death already. It won't. The urea tank volume is designed to last for at least 10,000 miles if I recall correctly which corresponds with the normal service interval times of your normal BMW or Mercedes. The tank is refilled there. Big deal.

3. Price. The prices speak for themselves. Base prices for luxury alt. fuel SUVs:
RXh: $41,660 (32/28 MPG)
ML 320 CDI: $48,600 (18/24 MPG)
X5d: $51,200 (18/25)
Most ML diesel owners seem to be getting 21/28 mpg, the X5 comes in at 22/28 mpg as well. These are the real world numbers from consumer feedback - not EPA tests.
Old 08-24-09, 12:50 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
and on a side note, the RX450h can tow up to 3,500 lbs.
Say bye bye to the good fuel economy if that's the case.

For towing heavy weights in an SUV or a pickup a diesel is clearly at an advantage than current gasoline hybrids.
Old 08-24-09, 12:54 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You may want to read this http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/o...ookieSupport=1

Do you have a link regarding your statement above?

Diesel vehicles such as the VW, BMW, Merc are designed to run on regular diesel or biodiesel. There are eco friendly folks around the country filling their cars at biodiesel filling stations.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingBioDi...lfuelingsites/

Here in Stuttgart some of the local diesel owners of classic Mercedes are running their cars on biodiesel. It's cleaner in terms of emissions.

Classic cars in Germany (anything older than 25 years) apparently are exempt from emission controls.
Old 08-24-09, 12:56 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet...

This thread has turned into another hybrid vs. diesel discussion.

The usual suspects are all here...
Old 08-24-09, 01:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Sweet...

This thread has turned into another hybrid vs. diesel discussion.

The usual suspects are all here...
Yes, but reruns have merit.
Old 08-24-09, 01:06 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Thank you for writing this! I am going to copy and paste it for your post that I am quoting right now.

Originally Posted by Och
As far as torque, diesels dont have it. If you learn how engines work, you'd realize that the impressive "maximum torque" figure that diesels have is meaningless. If you look at their dreadful HP numbers its clear that the torque curve is short and pathetic, which means that torque comes in short bursts and these diesel cars are geared like trucks.

So diesels don't have torque? How about comparing a diesel to a fuel-burning engine like another diesel or a gasoline motor instead of an electric engine. Those are two completely different things to begin with. Diesels have a lot torque relative to their engine capacity and horsepower output.

Dreadful horsepower output? You're pathetic. How much horsepower does one need? The X5 diesel and ML diesel are not underpowered by any means and their performance is helped by massive torque. The narrow torque band you describe can be overcome through proper gearing and both the X5 and ML diesels have what, a 6- and 7-speed automatic respectively? And who cares, really? The performance of a model diesel engine is amazing. If someone had told me twenty years ago that diesels would one day perform like they do today I would have thought the guy was crazy.

I'm shaking my head at your "dreadful" posts. Wow, this post is just so wrong.

Originally Posted by Och
Do yourself a favor, if you like driving, go drive the RX-h and GS-h. I havent drive the RX-h yet, but the GS-h goes like a jet.
People who "like driving" generally don't go to an RX or GS because by most accounts these cars are as distant from the word "fun" as possible. Of course "fun" is subjective but from a "I like driving" perspective, the RX and GS seem to be at the bottom when it comes to enthusiast choices for "driving". Arguably they weren't made for enthusiastic driving.

Originally Posted by Och
On a side note, I think we should make a spin off thread of how pathetic and useless these new "clean diesels" are. The Geormans have been hyping them for years and promising them to be the best thing since sliced bread, and when it came the time to deliver, look what happened. Lets take the ML-d for instance. It is more expensive than hybrid RX, it is WAY less efficient than hybrid RX, in fact it is no more efficient than petrol RX, it is way slower than hybrid RX, and with turbocharges and all the crap that makes diesel clean it is guaranteed to be less reliable and more expensive to repair. Fail!

Your anti-German stance is well known, Och, no need to drag this argument down that route again. By the way, the French have excellent diesels too. Peugeot, Citroen and Renault have some of the cleanest diesels in the mainstream segment in Europe. It's sad that you don't hear about these developments in America, mostly because Toyota has done such an excellent job of hyping up their hybrids.

I guess you're just a little annoyed since Toyota is lagging so far behind in the diesel game. They've practically abandoned diesels in favor of hybrids, it seems.
Old 08-24-09, 01:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes it is.. You are late for the party. Click a few pages back & you will see where I mentioned biodiesel . Do you know what biodiesel is ?
I know what a biodiesel is, and at this time and age, its even less relevant than hydrogen. How many biodiesel fueling stations are there in your neighborhood?

You clearly have not driven the latest diesels.

What?? You are talking to a guy who attends many driving events.. Hell, I invited you to quite a few over the years. Uhhhh... I drove both the GS450H (driving event, dealer) & the new RX (@ Lexus of Rockville Centre thanks Sheila Rossi).. Didn't you spot me some where in Westchester County test driving BMW & Lexus hybrids just this year? I drive vehicles & do not stay glued to a computer chair or magazine to find out about cars. As I've always said... Drive them...
And if you didnt enjoy driving the GS450h, then all I can say is that you're blinded by your hate toward Lexus. I've attended many events myself (and not because you invited me) and GS450h is simply the most fun car Ive driven at all of them.

That being said, it is still not a car for me.
Old 08-24-09, 01:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
They are there right in front of you. You need to open your eyes.

Right, so these new diesels are here. So like I said before, since were discussing the RX-h, lets take one of these new diesels, for instance the ML-D which competes directly with the RX-h and compare them.

Is it more fuel efficient than RX-h? No. In fact it is no more efficient than a regular RX. How the hell did MB manage to fail like that, considering that dieself fuel has 20% more energy than petrol to begin with?

Does it offer better performance than RX-h? Another no. Its performance is comparable to regular RX performance, and thats with a turbo. Another fail.

Is it cost efficient? HELL NO. It is more expensive than RX-h, while not offering any advantage over a regular RX. Thats an epic fail.

No wonder I havent seen a single ML blutek on the road, and I live in NYC. I've only seen one E class blutek. Clearly people are not buying them.
Old 08-24-09, 01:20 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. What are you reffering to here? I'm not sure I understand what you are asking me? If diesel SUVs weigh more than 3000 lbs? I can post the weights of the SUVs in question. The unladen weight of an X5d is 5,225 lbs. For the RX450h it is 4,520 lbs.

2. How do you figure? Hybrids are a logical choice for highway driving. The RX has a 4 MPG advantage over its non hybrid counterpart. Compare that to the X5d which also has a 4 MPG advantage over its gasoline counterpart. People often forget that highways also have accidents and construction. Thus if you have to slow down or are in stop and go traffic, a hybrid is a considerably better choice than a diesel.

Furthermore you said, "The urea trap is a PITA but I would still take a diesel over a hybrid for the same money." The fact is that hybrid SUVs aren't for the same money. As I posted, they are drastically less in price, not to mention the price of gasoline is less expensive than diesel, further increasing the savings margin of a hybrid.

The U.S. has a higher standard for diesels, hence the urea systems and the fact that foreign diesel automakers cannot simply bring over a diesel and expect it to meet U.S. emissions standards. Even with low sulfur fuels.

3. I'm not sure you understand what a base price is. The prices are listed are the starting price, so before any options or fees are added, of the 450h, X5d, and ML 320 currently on sale today. Generations have nothing to do with it. It's what it on the market right now.

Don't get me wrong, diesels have their place. But the models available right now are very expensive in comparisson to other alternative fuel vehicles. Not to mention the price of diesel is back on the rise.
1) My point - a heavier engine (diesel vs gas) is what a couple 100lbs? On a vehicle type (SUV) where weights start at 4000lbs, a couple 100lbs is not that material (your comment about suspension)
2) My point - the electrical part of the hybrid system is generally not in use on a highway (especially longer highway drives) so the savings is generally gotten in the city not the freeway
3) My point - I know what a base price is. The demographic that buys an x5, rx, a ML started with vehicles (about 10 yrs ago) that were base priced at 40K (+/-) before options. That same class of car today is now 10k more (base to base, loaded to loaded). What's different? recession, higher gas costs, SUV not as trendy, loss of asset value (home / stocks), no increases in income, job loss, higher lease costs.

The buyer base you refer to bought / leased these vehicles during a boom time in the economy with cheap money. The 2nd generation of these vehicles (what is new now) cost more (high base prices) and sell less easily.

What is drastically less in price? BMW and MB have always costed more than Lexus counterparts (less true in 3rd generation Lexus vehicles). Just b/c a diesel MB costs more than a hybrid Lexus doesn't mean a diesel is more expensive than a hybrid.

I do think the urea trap goes away eventually. Just not for the next 5 years of the product cycle
Old 08-24-09, 01:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Say bye bye to the good fuel economy if that's the case.

For towing heavy weights in an SUV or a pickup a diesel is clearly at an advantage than current gasoline hybrids.
i was pointing out the fact that hybrids CAN tow (some people here refuse to accept that as a possibility). no where in my comment did i mention anything about fuel economy AND towing!

and correct me if i'm wrong, but diesel vehicles that tow also suffer from declining fuel economy. a diesel that tows 3,000+ lbs is NOT going to have the same fuel efficiency as compared to a non-towing diesel.
Old 08-24-09, 01:28 PM
LexFather

Your anti-German stance is well known, Och, no need to drag this argument down that route again. By the way, the French have excellent diesels too. Peugeot, Citroen and Renault have some of the cleanest diesels in the mainstream segment in Europe. It's sad that you don't hear about these developments in America, mostly because Toyota has done such an excellent job of hyping up their hybrids.

I guess you're just a little annoyed since Toyota is lagging so far behind in the diesel game. They've practically abandoned diesels in favor of hybrids, it seems.
DustinV, you cannot accuse Och of being Anti-german if you yourself are very well known to be pro-German. It cancels out. Please stay on topic.

Toyota has diesels, they just made the CHOICE to invest in hybrids and LEAD with hybrids. As for the Germans, you may need to read this article...

Oh and Porsche is going with hybrids as well along with diesels...

From 2007
Germany Automakers' Hybrid Efforts Plagued by Technical Problems

COMING LATE TO THE GAME
Germany Automakers' Hybrid Efforts Plagued by Technical Problems

German automakers will introduce hybrid cars into the market later than planned. Carmakers underestimated the difficulty of developing the sophisticated, environmentally friendly technology.

The first defeat was bad enough. It amounted to a collective recognition by executives at German car companies that they had misjudged the situation. More than two years ago they made a decision, a first in the history of the German automotive industry, to emulate the Japanese and build hybrid automobiles.

The issue could no longer be ignored. The savings that can be achieved with the hybrid gasoline and electric engine are simply too substantial. Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking experienced the second setback more directly. Wiedeking wanted the best hybrid engine for his company's gas-guzzling Cayenne SUV, and he wanted it as quickly as possible. His first move was to contact Toyota, the pioneer in hybrid technology.

The Japanese told Wiedeking that they could help him, but only by providing the full package -- in other words, the platform for the entire vehicle. The Japanese insisted that merely buying the individual components, as Wiedeking had envisioned, made no sense. The Asians politely advised the Porsche boss not to underestimate the complexity of hybrid engines. Wiedeking's talks with Toyota quickly came to an end.

Today Porsche's engineers know that the Toyota executives were by no means trying to make fools of them two years ago. The engineers discovered first hand just how sincere the Japanese had actually been when they set out to develop, in a joint effort with Volkswagen, a hybrid engine at Volkswagen's research center in the town of Isenbüttel near VW's Wolfsburg headquarters. But the project failed to progress as smoothly as the Germans had expected.

German hybrids by "end of decade"

The original plan was to introduce hybrid versions of three SUVs: the VW Touareg, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. But that deadline has now proved to be unrealistic. VW will unveil its first hybrids next year, but they will not be available for sale by then. Wolfgang Dürheimer, who heads the research and development division at Porsche, has revised the predicted rollout to a vague-sounding "end of the decade."

The company has barely managed to come up with prototypes of the first construction stage, which suggests that actual production would not begin for at least another two years. System supplier Bosch has developed a power supply unit that can handle high-voltage current of up to 300 ampere, but it takes up most of the trunk. "Of course, it still leaves much to be desired," says Dürheimer, promising that the size of the wiring system will soon be reduced.

The biggest problem lies in the relatively crude drive train the German engineers have chosen. While Toyota uses a complicated engine-gearbox combination with two electric power units, the VW/Porsche system features only one electric motor between the internal combustion engine and the gearbox. This motor has to serve multiple purposes: acting as a generator and supplying the braking energy to the battery, powering the vehicle on its own when only the electric motor is operating and serving as a starter for the combustion engine. These processes are controlled by two automatic clutches.

Unappealing hiccups

The most difficult part of the system is achieving a smooth transition from pure electric mode to combined combustion engine and electric mode. The prototypes are still plagued by unappealing hiccups.

Eliminating this weakness could become a matter of destiny for this type of hybrid, to which the Volkswagen Group has fully committed itself. The system will also be offered for the Golf class, but a little farther down the road, because hybrid development at VW was put on ice until Martin Winterkorn took the helm as the company's new CEO.

DaimlerChrysler and BMW are leery of the more economical solution and, in a joint effort with General Motors in the United States, are developing a more complex full hybrid system. Though based on the Toyota model, the system's more ambitious mechanics will allow it achieve even lower fuel consumption.

But the gear train is extremely costly and will initially be used only in heavy SUVs.

The two competing German companies have also joined forces to create hybrid engines for their flagship 7 series (BMW) and S class (Mercedes). At first only a "mild" hybrid drive will be used in which the electric motor merely supports the combustion engine and never propels the vehicle on its own.

This less costly system produces almost the same reduction in consumption as a full hybrid, in which a lack of battery capacity prevents the more powerful electric motor from ever operating at its full potential. The only argument against the "hybrid-lite" solution stems from marketing experience. Honda has been selling cars based on this system for years, and yet the company is not perceived as a true hybrid manufacturer. The important factor missing in cars that are incapable of running purely on electric power? The wow effect.

But Mercedes does plan to attract attention in the industry with a breakthrough in battery technology. In early 2009, the mild hybrid S class will be one of the world's first mass-production automobiles equipped with lithium ion batteries.

This extremely efficient type of battery is already being used successfully to power mobile phones, but it is difficult to control at sizes required for cars. Even the Japanese are nervous about using lithium ion batteries. The supplier of the batteries for the S class will be French battery maker Saft, a company with experience mainly in the aerospace and defense industries.

Meanwhile Varta, a Hanover-based institution in the battery-making business, is trying desperately to keep up. Even German carmakers are buying nickel metal hydride batteries, currently the standard in hybrid automobiles, elsewhere. VW buys its batteries in Japan, from Honda supplier Sanyo.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...472189,00.html

Old 08-24-09, 01:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

So diesels don't have torque? How about comparing a diesel to a fuel-burning engine like another diesel or a gasoline motor instead of an electric engine. Those are two completely different things to begin with. Diesels have a lot torque relative to their engine capacity and horsepower output.

Dreadful horsepower output? You're pathetic. How much horsepower does one need? The X5 diesel and ML diesel are not underpowered by any means and their performance is helped by massive torque. The narrow torque band you describe can be overcome through proper gearing and both the X5 and ML diesels have what, a 6- and 7-speed automatic respectively? And who cares, really? The performance of a model diesel engine is amazing. If someone had told me twenty years ago that diesels would one day perform like they do today I would have thought the guy was crazy.
I'm going to ignore your personal attacks towards me, and try to communicate a couple things to you as politely as I possibly can.

First of all, if you want to compare torque numbers of a diesel motor to a petrol motor, how about comparing naturally aspirated versions of the two.

Second of all, like I said before, maximum torque number does not mean jack. Even the new diesels have very short torque curves, which is obvious from their HP rating, which is 2-3 times lower than their maximum torque number. Which in real life means that you get a nice boost of torque for about 500rpms, then it starts to drop, which means your car/suv has to be geared like a truck.

People who "like driving" generally don't go to an RX or GS because by most accounts these cars are as distant from the word "fun" as possible. Of course "fun" is subjective but from a "I like driving" perspective, the RX and GS seem to be at the bottom when it comes to enthusiast choices for "driving". Arguably they weren't made for enthusiastic driving.
Well, no the RX is not fun to drive at all. Neither is any other SUV - they arent suposed to be.

But I suggest you do drive the GS, the 450h, 460 and even the 350 will put a smile on your face.

My anti-diesel stance has nothing to do with me being anti-German. Or anti-French for that matter. I'd welcome clean diesels if they lived up to their hype.

If I was shopping for a truck, I'd get a diesel. And preferably a honest, reliable, simple, good old diesel, none of this useless clean diesel crap.

Your anti-Lexus and anti-Hybrid stances are a lot more obvious IMO. I've seen you crap on hybrids and lexus in general since the first post you've made on this site. But I'm yet to see a single negative comment from you in the numerous threads we had on this forum regarding upcoming hybrid cars from Germany.

Toyota obviously lives up to their hype, their hybrids are simply amazing, otherwise they wouldnt sell in droves like they do. Look at Hondas constipated excuse for a hybrid, the insite, or whatever its called. Its a POS that didnt live up to its hype, and it doesnt sell. Much like the clean diesels.

Last edited by Och; 08-24-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 01:31 PM
LexFather

As for the now diesel vs Hybrid argument, well this thread was about MPG, so what diesel SUV gets better MPG than the RXh? I like both options but its CLEAR the X5 and ML diesel fall short on MPG in comparison.

Are there diesel cars that get better MPG? Yup, A VW and other 4 cylinder diesels that are much slower.

Old 08-24-09, 01:32 PM
LexFather

Everyone, if you have not, please read this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-car-chat.html

We can have a heated discussion without attacks. State your position and if you have links for evidence that would be great.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: The RX 450h and 30MPG, unappreciated and what ever vehicle should offer