Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: The RX 450h and 30MPG, unappreciated and what ever vehicle should offer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 11:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is a HUGE difference!
E85 simply stores less energy than petrol, so it is to be expected that you get lesser mpg. It would be OK if it was 3 times cheaper than petrol and available in abundance. But its not so like you said it yourself, its a waste of time. The only reason manufacturers even make their cars "E85" compatible is probably to get some tax credits from the govt.
Old 08-26-09, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
E85 simply stores less energy than petrol, so it is to be expected that you get lesser mpg. It would be OK if it was 3 times cheaper than petrol and available in abundance. But its not so like you said it yourself, its a waste of time. The only reason manufacturers even make their cars "E85" compatible is probably to get some tax credits from the govt.
I'm just pissed b/c I like corn and popcorn and I don't want to see it in my car.

So if a hybrid used E85, it would be a total waste as a hybrid is already SULEV compliant and no other cars are.

Old 08-26-09, 11:23 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The hybrid wouldn't be so effecient if you add in the price difference to the comparison as well.
Let's do it. We'll use the RX FWD. I used Lexus.com to determine the base prices of the vehicles when equipped with the same features. Note that the base price of the RX450h didn't change.

450: $41,660 (32/28/30 MPG)
350: $38,125 (18/25/21 MPG)
a difference of $3535.

15,000 miles a year
450: 500 gallons of gas consumed each year
350: 714 gallons of gas consumed each year
a difference of 214 gallons

So, I guess we shall do this with premium fuel, though if anyone's interested I haven't found a difference in fuel grades and performance with the 400h, anyway
if 93 octane is $2.89 a gallon
450: $1445 spent each year
350: $2064 spent each year
a difference of $619

Thus it would take roughly 5 years to recoup the cost difference of the hybrid, assuming your state offers no tax rebates, which mine does so it would be 4 years in Pennsylvania just FYI. So if you were purley buying the vehicle for fuel savings and not for say power, then you would need to keep the vehicle about 5 years to break even. Not too shabby.

But lets do it again just to see what these numbers would look like if gas got back up to $4.00 a gallon

So, $4.00 for 93 octane, driving 15,000 miles a year
450: $2000 for the year
350: $2856
a difference of $856.

Divide $856 into $3535 and your payback period is reduced to just a hair over 4 years.

In conclusion, it makes more sense from a fuel savings standpoint to purchase the RX450h over the 350 than it did to purchase the 400h over the 350 (sec. gen.).
Old 08-26-09, 11:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Brazil seems to making their system work well.
Old 08-26-09, 11:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I do not believe you, unless they are some underground "filling statios" operated out of some restaurants basement. Until there are filling stations on every corner much like petrol stations, where you can swiple your card and fill your tank, all alternative fuels are irrelevant, be it biodiesel, hydrogen, e85, whatever.
There are a number of things "not to believe" on the internet. That is why pics & links add validity to an arguement... I will let you do the honors Och.. I live in Cambria Heights, NY zip 11411 type it in this link & see what you get. No, the filling stations are not in the Brooklyn basement..

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...s/biomaps.shtm

Right now petrol is simply the most common and the most "convenient" fuel. It is readily available, there are no maintenance issues that it causes, and the RX is simply making the best of it.
Diesel can be had at almost every Mobil in NYC. Hell, the same can be said of BP, Shell, etc around the country. Pay close attention the next time you fill up.

Once again, biodiesel & E85 are alternative fuels. Owners of diesels and E85 compliant hybrids are not limited to standard diesel & standard gasoline. The choice is there for those who seek it. Add any scenerio you wish from oil fields in the Middle East burning down, gas prices shooting to $6.00 a gallon because Obama does not like gun owners. At least folks with compatible vehicles will have no worries pumping alternative fuels into their eco ride.
Old 08-26-09, 01:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
There are a number of things "not to believe" on the internet. That is why pics & links add validity to an arguement... I will let you do the honors Och.. I live in Cambria Heights, NY zip 11411 type it in this link & see what you get. No, the filling stations are not in the Brooklyn basement..

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...s/biomaps.shtm
So I followed your link and there are one station in Brooklyn, one in West Babylon (LI), one in the Bronx, one in New Rochelle (NYS), and one in New Hyde Park (LI). The one in New Hyde Park is listed three time under three different names, but they are all at the same address.

So basically the whole NYC has two stations - one in Bronx and one in Brooklyn. Where do you get four in your immediate area?

And I highly doubt that these are your familiar, convenient stations. They are fuel oil places, probably just a warehouse where you can buy a jug of biodiesel.

Until theres a convenient readily available infrastructure of biodiesel fuel stations, it is irrelevant.

Diesel can be had at almost every Mobil in NYC. Hell, the same can be said of BP, Shell, etc around the country. Pay close attention the next time you fill up.
Well petrol is still more available than diesel. There are five gas stations in my neighborhood, and only one carries diesel (Lukoil)

Once again, biodiesel & E85 are alternative fuels. Owners of diesels and E85 compliant hybrids are not limited to standard diesel & standard gasoline. The choice is there for those who seek it. Add any scenerio you wish from oil fields in the Middle East burning down, gas prices shooting to $6.00 a gallon because Obama does not like gun owners. At least folks with compatible vehicles will have no worries pumping alternative fuels into their eco ride.
By no means am I saying advocating foreign oil dependency, but alternative fuels are not a solution at all until the infrastrure is in place. Out of all available alternative fuel, E85 and biodiesel will never become relevant. Hydrogen has a chance if they ever find an energy efficient way to extract it.
Old 08-26-09, 01:48 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Hydrogen has a chance if they ever find an energy efficient way to extract it.
speaking of hydrogen, i recall seeing a documentary that stated there are pros and cons of hydrogen power. yes it's clean, but it is inefficient source of energy, in that you need to use energy to convert the raw energy source into hydrogen. so from a "green" perspective, you are still contributing to greenhouse gases (correct me if i'm wrong here).

ideally, sources of "clean" energy should rely on natural sources - like solar, wind, and wave energy. we shouldn't use energy (like gasoline or coal) to create energy, it's a waste of time, money, and resources.
Old 08-26-09, 04:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
speaking of hydrogen, i recall seeing a documentary that stated there are pros and cons of hydrogen power. yes it's clean, but it is inefficient source of energy, in that you need to use energy to convert the raw energy source into hydrogen. so from a "green" perspective, you are still contributing to greenhouse gases (correct me if i'm wrong here).

ideally, sources of "clean" energy should rely on natural sources - like solar, wind, and wave energy. we shouldn't use energy (like gasoline or coal) to create energy, it's a waste of time, money, and resources.
Well, hydrogen is only used to generate electricity in hydrogen car such as Honda FCX. The car itself is powered by an electric motor. And with the current technology there is no efficient way to extract hydrogen - it take more electricity to extract it from water than the electricity it generates.

A simple battery pack is more efficient than hydrogen, but hydrogen has an advantage over battery pack is that a tank of hydrogen will provide a longer driving range than a battery pack, and that it could be refueled fast, if the infrastructure is there, whereas it takes hours to recharge batteries.

But the battery technology is advancing fast, and soon enough we might see batteries that can provide longer driving range than hydrogen. And there can also be battery exchage/recharge stations that will make recharging a non issue. Therefore I dont think hydrogen will ever become a viable alternative fuel unless someone comes up with a way of extracting it that uses much less energy than it can generate.

But the biggest issue, is that neither an electric car or a hydrogen car is clean. The electricity that is used to recharge batteries or extract hydrogen is generated at power plants by burning fossil fuels, mostly oil and coal. So boys and girls, petrol isnt going anywhere any time soon.
Old 08-26-09, 06:22 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pagemaster
That would be correct.

The hybrid wouldn't be so effecient if you add in the price difference to the comparison as well.
i guess you and i are the only ones in this thread that haven't drank the koolaid.

you just cannot ignore the fact that the RXh is a hybrid and compare it to a gas powered smart or fit and say it even beats economy cars!!!111!!1
kudos!

anyway, still waiting for a response on the escape hybrid.
Old 08-26-09, 06:24 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The Ford Escape hybrid is a very different bird from the RX.

Escape: 177 HP
FWD: 34/31/32.5
AWD: 29/27/28

RX450h: 295 HP
FWD: 32/28/30
AWD:30/28/29
and the soul/fit/yaris/3 are similar to the RX right?
yet mike still compare them.
Old 08-26-09, 07:21 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well its always like that in your post. You'll find the most irrelevant excuse to defend the most rubbish effort by MB and yet you will never give Lexus credit where its due, even for the most astonishing achievements.

Originally Posted by Och
The ML bluetec however is just pathetic. Its fuel economy is barely better than petrol ML, I just looked it up, and were talking 16 vs 18mpg in the city and 21 vs 24 mpg highway. That is pathetic!!! They could probably get the same mpg from the petrol if they added direct injection. And in turn you pay premium, sacrifice performance and smoothness, most likely sacrifice reliability as the turbocharged engine with all kinds of exaust cleaning systems wont be as reliable as regular petrol, will have to deal with higher service costs. I understand that its peformance is acceptable, but why sacrifice if you dont gain anything in return?
Clearly you have no idea what you're talking. If you're quoting EPA figures then stop, because ML Bluetec owners have reported up to 28 mpg or higher with these cars. If you don't think that is impressive for an almost 3-ton SUV that doesn't have the benefit of an electric motor to reduce fuel consumption in stop-and-go conditions then you really are beyond help.

What are you going to say if Mercedes brings out an ML Bluetec Hybrid, theoretically speaking. With an electric motor that handles the initial acceleration fuel economy should rise dramatically. I wouldn't be surprised if this ML Bluetec Hybrid would surpass the RX450h in gas mileage.

What are you going to say? Bluetec = FAILURE?

Originally Posted by Och
I'm sorry but this goes beyond the ML. The whole bluetec technology is a complete and utter failure. The 2-3 mpg improvement just isnt worth it.
Let's turn this statement around in reference to the GS450h and LS600h. The mere what? 2 mpg the LS600h gets over the LS460 is worth it?

Originally Posted by Och
While of course my observation can not be considered official statistics, I'm willing to bet that sales of bluetec models in US are dismal.
Don't bet. Show me proof.

Originally Posted by Och
Explain this to me however. I'm gonna make some statements about diesels that I believe are true, and you can correct me if I am wrong. I'm talking about regular good old simple diesels, not the complicated bluetecs and the such.

1) Regular diesels are allowed on sale in most of Europe (they are not allowed on sale in several US states).
All diesels sold in Europe must pass the EU emission controls. Diesel cars that don't pass have to be retrofitted or their owners are taxed higher.

Classic diesel cars are exempt from this rule.

Originally Posted by Och
2) Regular diesel passenger cars in Europe are often cheaper than their petrol siblings.
False. Diesel cars are generally more expensive than their gasoline counterparts. Owning a diesel is also more expensive because of tax and emission charges.

Originally Posted by Och
3) In many European countries diesel fuel is significantly cheaper than petrol because of government subsidies.
Diesel fuel is either cheaper or close to the price of gasoline. Government subsidies have nothing to do with it. A common misconception.

Originally Posted by Och
4) Regular diesel cars get significantly better fuel mileage than their petrol powered siblings.
Generally, yes.

Originally Posted by Och
5) Regular diesel cars are often cheaper to maintan and are more reliable than their petrol siblings.
Yes.

Originally Posted by Och
Despite all these advantages rougly 50% of cars sold in Europe are petrol powered. That means half the people are willing to pay more for the car, more to maintain the car, more to fill it up, and get lesser fuel economy, just so they dont have to drive a diesel.
False. Last time I checked the sales of diesel cars in Europe have overtaken those of gasoline vehicles. The diesel market share is now roughly at 56% if I recall correctly.

Your last statement about people willing to pay more just so they don't have to drive a diesel is complete and utter BS. Owning a diesel in Europe is actually more expensive because of the diesel tax and emission taxation. Put it pays out if you drive long distances (say over 9,000 miles per year). In that case the mileage of a diesel can't be beaten.

When I had my C200 CDI diesel and was touring Europe, it wasn't uncommon for my car to return 5.3 liters per 100 km (44 mpg) at a cruising speed of 120-130 kph.

Originally Posted by Och
Well the bluetec diesel isnt warranted in any car, because its a failure. A classic diesel isnt warranted in luxury cars no matter how you look at it, unless your only objective is fuel economy. But then you said it yourself, MB isnt a value oriented purchase, so economy should be the least of the concern, right?
It's funny. You accuse me of trying to downplay the achievements of the RX450h, yet here you are calling Bluetec a failure and your arguments are nonsensical and weak.

A Mercedes isn't a value purchase. Right. But that doesn't mean somebody buying one doesn't want good fuel economy. People are willing to pay for expensive cars but they also want fuel economy, especially nowadays.

It is really narrow minded if you claim that nobody buying an expensive car will care about fuel economy just because they can afford it. It doesn't work that way. There are people who enjoy expensive cars but want good gas mileage.

Originally Posted by Och
A classic diesel IMO belong in uber econoboxes and real purpose built and purpose used trucks.

Originally Posted by Och
As far as the handling part is concerned, the GS handles better than E class, at least the non AMG model. The E class is a real pig in corners, although its steering is a bit more direct compared to the GS' sloppy steering. In any case, nobody drives these cars at the limit on streets, and quite frankly this whole "driving dynamics" that the entire internet is arguing about is pretty irrelevant. The truth is, the difference in handling between a stock GS, E and 5 series is marginal, and for an average driver its completely irrelevant. And if you plan taking any of these cars to the track, you know you will modify the suspension anyway.
Oh please. The E class handles better than the GS. This has been proven and stated often enough. The last generation E class handled worlds better than the GS and was also more comfortable according to many reviews. The same is true for the current E class.

Maybe Lexus can catch up or exceed the E class when they release the new model.

Originally Posted by Och
No, the Insight is a POS because of how its built and how it drives. It still drives and feels like an experimental concept car from early 90ies. It much worse than a comparable non hybrid car (ie Fit). In comparison, the Prius and RX are much better than comparable non hybrid cars (ie Yaris and non hybrid RX).
So let's assume that this is Honda's second attempt at a hybrid. Obviously they have ways to go to match or exceed Toyota.

That's no reason to call the Insight a POS. How about a "good effort"?
Old 08-26-09, 08:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
Oh please. The E class handles better than the GS. This has been proven and stated often enough. The last generation E class handled worlds better than the GS and was also more comfortable according to many reviews. The same is true for the current E class.

Maybe Lexus can catch up or exceed the E class when they release the new model.

So let's assume that this is Honda's second attempt at a hybrid. Obviously they have ways to go to match or exceed Toyota.

That's no reason to call the Insight a POS. How about a "good effort"?
1. A stock GS handles better than a stock E-class. The E-class handles better with the AMG sport kit and clearly a AMG 63 will destroy any GS. Though not sure why there is some German rainbow that "sport" automatically means better. The E-class is used as a TAXI, trust me, most are not sporty. Both are stellar cars and the E-class with the 5 series is bread and butter and do exceptionally well for their brands.

2. The Insight has been panned in most reviews for being a pretty lethargic attempt. Its not like Honda rushed it they had YEARS to make a Prius killer. Instead we get a knock-off looking Prius that gets worse MPG than the old Prius with less room and less performance.

Clarkson said it best.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle6294116.ece

Old 08-26-09, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
i guess you and i are the only ones in this thread that haven't drank the koolaid.

you just cannot ignore the fact that the RXh is a hybrid and compare it to a gas powered smart or fit and say it even beats economy cars!!!111!!1
kudos!

anyway, still waiting for a response on the escape hybrid.
I've noticed when someone has no facts to support their posts, they accuse the other side of drinking "kool-aid". Its okay to disagree with the original post but you continue to ask for a RX competitor WHEN I COMPARED IT TO ITS DIESEL COMPETITION. You continue to conveniently OMIT this.

So since you are so much the debate champ, tell me, name a direct competitior to the RX 450h. I mean you want me to compare it to one right.

So find it and post it and we can talk about it.

Find and post a 295hp or somewhere in that area a luxury SUV that gets 30 MPG and is a hybrid that is not the RX but its competitior.

When you post that, then you can say your previous post(s) have some merit. Otherwise you simply want to disagree with what I presented.

Which again, is fine.

We are waiting...

Old 08-26-09, 09:34 PM
LexFather

Well I checked the 09 Highlander Hybrid, 26 MPG avg.

Old 08-26-09, 09:54 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I checked the 09 Highlander Hybrid, 26 MPG avg.
The 09 Highlander Hybrid is an older gen system. The Rx400h and Highlander compare. The 450h is a newer system.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: The RX 450h and 30MPG, unappreciated and what ever vehicle should offer