Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is more advantage to an AWD sedan than just driving in the snow. Isn't there a lot of ice and sleet storm in VA?
Yep, sure is, though some winters are worse than others in that respect. AWD also helps on rain-slick roads, and, in my experience, seems to help equalize tire wear by spreading the engine's torque....and vehicle weight..... out more evenly among the four wheels. My Outback, with its higher-than-sedan, SUV-like ground clearance, also got me through some pretty good floods in heavy rainstorms a couple of years ago, but you have to be very careful going through deep water, for a number of reasons....you not only don't want to get swept away or stranded, but cold water, all of a sudden, in contact with hot exhaust, brake, or engine parts sure won't do them any good.

AWD, to be honest, has some downsides as well. It adds initial expense, weight, drag, cuts into both power and gas mileage, can require more maintenance, and, in some cases, complicates flat-tire change procedure and the use of unevenly-worn tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 08:12 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I definitely agree with the merits of AWD, although personally on more sporty luxury sedans I don't really like it since I use dedicated winter and summer tires anyway. I wonder if even half the buyers of Chrysler 300s and Dodge Chargers realize it's RWD. I see them everywhere around here and wonder how they cope since most drivers around here use all seasons.
Old 08-25-09, 09:07 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
though I don't have specific sales numbers, the Lexus IS and GS AWD models, locally, seem to be outselling their RWD brothers.
thats b/c rwd GS is impossible to find in the DMV area.. I don't know about IS, but thats definitely the case for the GS in the DMV area.
Old 08-25-09, 10:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, Hyundai is getting very very aggressive. I think what they're doing can be considered as some of the fastest rises in the Automotive industry. Straight up success, it must've taken a long time and effort to draw up and execute their master plan but they did it, all of the new cars are straight up competitors in terms of design, quality and value.
Old 08-25-09, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw an old guy getting out of one and I asked hi m and his wife what they thought of the car and they both loved the car. The driver went on and on about how he has owned Mercedes, BMWs, Cadillacs, and had an LS ( older) and said he thought that this car was the best he ahas had yet.
Old 08-25-09, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am impressed. I spoke to a guy who had one and he loved it. He said he had a car from all of the luxury brands including Lexus and thought that the Genesis was equal and was far under priced in his opinion.
Old 08-26-09, 02:31 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If I bought a Genesis in the 1st model year, I'd be upset that they already have a refresh that makes my new car look a little dated already.
the refresh is for 2012 Model... so the refresh will be due...

"Our spy photographers have managed to catch Hyundai's facelifted 2011 (or 2012) Genesis sedan undergoing testing in the Mojave desert.

While the Genesis is only a year old, Hyundai apparently wanted to bring the car's styling more in line with the company's new Equus flagship. Upfront, the changes appear to be limited to a new bumper and modified fog lights. Out back, there are new LED design taillights, integrated exhaust tips similar to the Equus, and a slightly altered rear bumper.

Engine options will likely carry over, meaning we can expect a 290 hp 3.8-liter V6 and a 368 hp 4.6-liter V8. Eventually the Genesis may be offered with a new 5.0-liter V8 with over 400 hp, but nothing is official as of yet."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10908262...-spied-already
Old 08-26-09, 04:19 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, in my part of the country (even though we generally don't get really severe winters here, compared to places farther north and west), AWD luxury cars, even non-Audi ones, sell pretty well. You see a lot of Mercedes 4-Matics, BMW AWD xi 3 and 5-series models, and, though I don't have specific sales numbers, the Lexus IS and GS AWD models, locally, seem to be outselling their RWD brothers. The IS250AWD, in particular, seems to be a strong seller. I have no doubt that an AWD Genesis would sell if it were offered (Heck, I'd consider one myself if I could get it under 40K.....my personal $$$$ limit for a new car).
I agree with you here in pursuing AWD.

Personally yeah, I'd like to see more AWD passenger cars as well hehe
Old 08-26-09, 05:32 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai will have a 400+Hp Supercharged V8

Is Acura awake???

With the soon to be released Sonata, current and refreshed Genesis, along with the Equus, I see them running just below Lexus and neck and neck with Infiniti..

IMO BMW and Mercedes product lines are too robust and industry leaders in their class. Regardless of the products, Hyundai will be unable to overturn this image for the majority of buyers.

How odd would that be to outrun in an ISF by a Hyundai...LMBO
Old 08-26-09, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Until Hyundai invest some serious money into a new luxury division and dealerships, they will never to teir one.
Old 08-26-09, 08:46 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I agree with you here in pursuing AWD.

Personally yeah, I'd like to see more AWD passenger cars as well hehe
I don't really care for front or rear wheel drive. AWD is my preference, something that Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda do not offer in their sedans.
Old 08-26-09, 12:12 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Until Hyundai invest some serious money into a new luxury division and dealerships, they will never to teir one.
do they need to tho? i mean hyundai may be perfectly happy with what they are doing now.
Old 08-26-09, 01:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What they are doing now will only get them so far. At some point, to make it to the next teir, they need to stop copying other people's design and invest some money into dealer infrastructure.
Old 08-26-09, 01:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hyundai is the #5 biggest carmaker in the world.

i don't think they give a crap about what tier they are right now
Old 08-26-09, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't really care for front or rear wheel drive. AWD is my preference, something that Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda do not offer in their sedans.
I'm with you on AWD. Honda and Toyota do offer sedan AWD in some non-American-spec cars; they just havent marketed it much over here in the last 15 years or so. But, with new products like the Toyota Venza and the upcoming Honda Accord Crossover, that may finally be changing. And, yes, Hyundai needs to catch up.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Refresh