Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 02:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
What they are doing now will only get them so far. At some point, to make it to the next teir, they need to stop copying other people's design and invest some money into dealer infrastructure.
Maybe Hyundai is happy with results. I can imagine it now;

press
-Hyundai debuts luxury brand called Genesis to battle Lexus/BMW/Benz

internet-"who cares what they call it, its still Hyundai"
"I'm not buying a car from Korea"
"Its just a badge for badge *****s, I don't want it"
"hahahah at Hyundai luxury brand"
"this is the same stunt Lexus, Infiniti, Acura pulled, this will suck"
"who cares about fancy dealerships and service"
" I will never buy a Hyundai over my car"
"They are just rebadged Sonatas and Kias"

Again, it would take BILLIONS of dollars to roll out a luxury marque now and to do it like LEXUS did, not how the other two did. Chances are, it will be tough sell as BMW/Benz/Audi/Jag/Caddy are getting better all the time

Old 08-26-09, 04:33 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
hyundai is the #5 biggest carmaker in the world.

i don't think they give a crap about what tier they are right now
correction, 4th biggest car maker in the world.

anyway, hyundai bashing in the states will die within the next 3-4 years. i've visited 4 countries in last 4 months(carribean islands, europe, asia), and hyundais were everywhere. I mean everywhere! and seriously i bet 80% of people don't even know hyundai is from korea. it's reliable and it looks decent(i10, and i30 are very popular).

i'll bet my house that hyundai will catch nissan in sales within 5 years.

Last edited by joe80; 08-26-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-27-09, 12:24 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

they can talk all of the crap they want. They used to say the same **** about Lexus and Lexus beat all of their asses in a matter of 10-15 years. You may end up putting your foot in your mouth like many did in the 90's with Lexus
Old 08-27-09, 02:58 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

No one updates their cars faster or more often than Hyundai. While that's a good idea to stay abreast of the latest styling and dodads, it deminishes resale value. Brand new car and it's already changed and out-dated. They did this with the last Sonata too.
Old 08-27-09, 03:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It's no secret Hyundai's formula has been copying successful cars. It works decently for them, but will not take them to the top.
Old 08-27-09, 06:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If Hyundai is happy where they are now, then they have already succeeded, but if they are serious about being a major player in the luxury car market, they need to do more, a lot more.
There is no question Hyundai will pass Nissan very soon, in fact, they may be the #1 Global seller within 10 years. If we look at the history of the auto industry, with the exception of the US, most of leaders are countries that does not have a full military due to war agreement with the US. These countries use that money to fund their industries. As that country become more insdutrialized, the standard of living and cost of labor goes up, then the next country with cheaper labor cost will take over. Right now, Korea is that country.
Old 08-27-09, 06:10 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
they can talk all of the crap they want. They used to say the same **** about Lexus and Lexus beat all of their asses in a matter of 10-15 years. You may end up putting your foot in your mouth like many did in the 90's with Lexus
Indeed! Hyundai is succeeding at being taken seriously as a major player in the market. They are blowing past Acura and have firmly begun to put the flag down as a Luxury automaker. Just the mere fact of people spelling their name correctly underscores that point, lol.
Old 08-27-09, 07:05 PM
hughh
Pole Position

The G Man: "If we look at the history of the auto industry, with the exception of the US, most of leaders are countries that does not have a full military due to war agreement with the US. These countries use that money to fund their industries."

Have you ever been to Korea? One of the MOST militarized counties in the world, by necessity I might add! I remember the first time I ever visited a car factory there. In the middle of winter they had those poor bastards working in parkas, no heat. Working conditions were horrible. But that was around 1994. Korean economy has really picked-up and so has their way of doing things.

I have had two stints in the military in Korea. Retired Air Force!
Old 08-28-09, 06:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I guess I was wrong about the military part, but I was right about the chesp labor in S Korea.
Old 08-28-09, 07:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
No one updates their cars faster or more often than Hyundai. While that's a good idea to stay abreast of the latest styling and dodads, it deminishes resale value. Brand new car and it's already changed and out-dated. They did this with the last Sonata too.

i don't think hyundai buyers care about resale value.

they are the type of people who drive the car into the ground..... not trade it in after 3 years.
Old 08-28-09, 10:49 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the poor economy is also helping Hyundai right now, people are more $$$ conscious right now... I don't see Hyundai passing Acura or Infiniti until they can produce an entire Luxury Line... not w/ few decent/nice copy cat cars...

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 08-29-09 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-28-09, 11:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Indeed! Hyundai is succeeding at being taken seriously as a major player in the market. They are blowing past Acura and have firmly begun to put the flag down as a Luxury automaker. Just the mere fact of people spelling their name correctly underscores that point, lol.
Funny that you said that. since the release of the Genesis I have learned to spell their name correctly ( Most of the time)
Old 08-29-09, 04:04 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe Hyundai is happy with results. I can imagine it now;

press
-Hyundai debuts luxury brand called Genesis to battle Lexus/BMW/Benz

internet-"who cares what they call it, its still Hyundai"
"I'm not buying a car from Korea"
"Its just a badge for badge *****s, I don't want it"
"hahahah at Hyundai luxury brand"
"this is the same stunt Lexus, Infiniti, Acura pulled, this will suck"
"who cares about fancy dealerships and service"
" I will never buy a Hyundai over my car"
"They are just rebadged Sonatas and Kias"

Again, it would take BILLIONS of dollars to roll out a luxury marque now and to do it like LEXUS did, not how the other two did. Chances are, it will be tough sell as BMW/Benz/Audi/Jag/Caddy are getting better all the time
Think of it as a way of cheap advertisment. lol But seriously I can see Hyundai being the next luxury car that many will choose. People seem to get more than what they pay for. They already establish their name in the industrie even though they are copycat but consumer seem to like it and will contuine

BMW/Benz pluse a twist of reliability = our beloved Lexus. Hyundai is only doing it for less
Old 08-29-09, 05:07 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A supercharged V8 in a Hyundai?? It seems that they're targeting more than just Lexus, MB, etc. It looks like they're taking aim at the likes of AMG, M's and Audi's S's.
Old 08-29-09, 05:42 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Although my Sonata has plummeted in value (what car hasn't???), I have yet to have an issue with it.

That being said, there is a WORLD of difference slamming the door once inside a Genesis vs a Lexus GS... or Audi A6... or MB E-class... the Genesis is NICE (and for the $ value vs luxury unmatched) but it is NOT on par with premium luxury vehicles.

Now the Equus.............

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Refresh