Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ACURA Rethinks Flagship Moniker with ZDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 11:31 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
So Acura uses older technology than Honda. I thought Acura is suppose to be the premium brand. Honda has its priority all screwed up.
There isn't a Acura in the ROW either. Maybe in Canada, China or Taiwan but not in Europe or most of Asia.

Honda used to have a Mercedes or BMW like mentality, engineers first and accountants second. Now, the accountants control the company. Soichiro Honda is rolling in his grave right now.
Old 08-25-09, 11:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Honda used to have a Mercedes or BMW like mentality, engineers first and accountants second. Now, the accountants control the company. Soichiro Honda is rolling in his grave right now.
Unfortunately, all car companies are following that path. Take the 09 BMW 335 for example, the hood liner are now a $65 accessory.
Old 08-25-09, 11:50 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately, all car companies are following that path. Take the 09 BMW 335 for example, the hood liner are now a $65 accessory.
The Fit and Insight doesn't have floor mats, those are a $90 option. Funny, our 09 Prius came with a cargo net, first aid kit and rear bumper applique - included in the price.
Old 08-25-09, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Like I said, Honda has the blindfold of VTEC over their eyes - which prevents them from REAL innovation.
Well, they are going to be the first company on the market with a working hydrogen fuel-cell car. The FCX is already leasing to West-Coast customers....and should go nationwide, for sale, next year. The only problem is that the compressed-hydrogen-refilling infrastructure may not (yet) be ready for it.
Old 08-25-09, 11:58 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The only problem is that the compressed-hydrogen-refilling infrastructure may not (yet) be ready for it.
In California, those are few and far in between - only PG&E, SoCal Edison, the California Fuel Cell Partnership in Sacramento, transit agencies in SoCal and NorCal and Chevron at their Richmond and El Segundo refineries have hydrogen fueling setups in place.
Old 08-25-09, 12:54 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Hydrogen is still a long ways away before it can be affortable. I think it is nice that Honda is investing money in the future. Like some one have already said, Honda use to make high performance car that is fuel efficient, it seems like now a days, they ahve forgetten the performance part that made Honda what it is today.
Old 08-25-09, 12:56 PM
LexFather

And Honda refusing to seperate the two gives it an Acura name...
The FCX...That should be an ACURA name

Pretty amazing vehicle though.

Old 08-25-09, 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I would be a little nervious sitting in a car with a tank full of flammable gas pressureized to 5000 PSI. I suppose would be better if the government require all Hydrogen car owners to inspect their hydrogen tank every year and replace it every so often, but that another added cost to add to the already very very high price of a Hydrogen car.
Old 08-25-09, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Personally, I would be a little nervious sitting in a car with a tank full of flammable gas pressureized to 5000 PSI.
Well, you sit on top of a fuel tank, every day, with enough gasoline in it to incinerate or blow up (with gasoline vapors) an average-sized office building. And today's Bluetec, TDI, and Common-Rail diesels have fuel-injectors that work at 20,000 PSI or more. Hydrogen is just one of a number of flammable/explosive fuels, both petroleum and non-petroleum-based, that can operate vehicles, including propane, ethanol and natural gas.....though ethanol is somewhat less-volatile than the others, which is why it is used extensively in racing.
Old 08-25-09, 02:26 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Personally, I would be a little nervious sitting in a car with a tank full of flammable gas pressureized to 5000 PSI. I suppose would be better if the government require all Hydrogen car owners to inspect their hydrogen tank every year and replace it every so often, but that another added cost to add to the already very very high price of a Hydrogen car.
Honda has experience with gaseous fuels - the Civic GX has its fuel tank in the trunk, and it's made like a scuba tank but wrapped in a carbon fiber/Kevlar composite to provide protection and insulation for the tank itself. DOT has dropped a full-size Chevy with a CNG tank from a 5 story drop and the tank itself was intact. There are countless transit buses in LA and DC running on CNG or LNG with roof-mounted tanks as well. Also, cars that run on gaseous fuels must also have a gas detection system and vent the relief valve outside of the vehicle.

Heck, scuba divers are underwater with 3000psi of compressed air strapped to their backs and I know all scuba tanks MUST be hydrostatically tested every 5 years. Unlike a compressor tank that is made from welded steel sheet, compressed gas and scuba tanks are made by extruding a billet of aluminum or steel.