Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ACURA Rethinks Flagship Moniker with ZDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 05:24 PM
akhi2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACURA Rethinks Flagship Moniker with ZDX

Acura Rethinks Flagship Moniker With ZDX; RL Still Has Place
By Christie Schweinsberg
WardsAuto.com, Aug 21, 2009 8:00 AM

ROCHESTER, MI – American Honda Motor Co. Inc.’s premium Acura brand says the RL sedan still has a place in its lineup, though monthly sales have fallen to a mere 100 units or so.
However, executives now view the upcoming ZDX cross/utility vehicle as Acura’s ultimate luxury model, a top official tells Ward’s.
“Having a vehicle above (the) TL is a good position for us,” Gary Robinson, assistant manager-Acura product planning, says on the sidelines of a recent media event here.
“Obviously, we wish it was more than 135 people that bought (RL) every month, but it’s a great car and we’re happy enough with (it) selling at a very small volume.”
RL sales through July tumbled 62.6% to 1,192 from 3,191 year-ago, Ward’s data shows.
The car steadily has been losing volume since its sales launch in 2004 as an ’05 model, when Acura targeted 20,000 annual deliveries. An extensive refresh last year was designed to lift sales but had little effect.
Still, the RL retains its buyer loyalty, Robinson says. With tooling costs mostly paid, keeping the car in the Acura lineup is financially sustainable. However, he does not say when a new RL is expected to arrive.

New ZDX has standard leather seating, power tailgate.
Recent comments by new Honda Motor Co. Ltd. CEO Takanobu Ito suggest Acura customers hoping for a competitor to BMW AG’s fullsize 7-Series sedan will have to keep waiting, as a rear-wheel-drive platform and V-8 engine no longer are part of the auto maker’s plans.
While most car buyers and industry watchers consider large sedans as a brand’s superlative model, Acura is trying to change that perception with the upcoming ZDX.
The new 5-passenger CUV, which the auto maker is calling a “sport coupe,” is being billed as the brand’s most-luxurious, technology-laden model ever.
The all-new vehicle, which hits the U.S. market this winter, will get hand-stitched detailing on its leather-covered dashboard, door panels and center console. Light-emitting diodes will be used extensively in the cabin, and the “longest glass roof in the industry” will have dual automatic sunshades.
A 10-way power driver’s seat and 8-way power passenger seat are standard, as is a power tailgate and dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control.
Powering the ZDX will be Acura’s 3.7L V-6, already in the MDX CUV, making 300 hp and 270 lb.-ft. (366 Nm) of torque and mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission.
The ZDX also gets standard Acura’s Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive. A new technology dubbed IDS, for Integrated Dynamics System, will be optional. IDS combines an active damper system, similar to that seen in the MDX, with speed-sensitive steering, allowing the driver to dial in preferred levels of sport or comfort, Acura says.
Despite the company’s assertion the ZDX will attract “an entirely new luxury customer to the Acura brand,” Robinson says the CUV likely will cull some customers who tire of the larger 7-seat MDX.
Related Stories
Acura Says Can Achieve Tier-1 Status Without RWD

The ZDX presents them with the opportunity to have “something different in their garage,” he says. “There’s also going to be other people for whom it’s just a different type of vehicle…and they’re looking for something like that.”
Despite some negative online chatter about the unorthodox coupe/wagon/SUV appearance of the ZDX, Robinson says Acura is confident it captured the right design and is proud of the vehicle’s provocative nature.
“We tried to do something that was different and stylish and would be an exercise in design and styling and something new for us,” he says. “(The ZDX) is not meant to be a high-volume vehicle, so it’s fine if not everybody likes it.”
Robinson says, so far, he hasn’t received any negative feedback. “I might be fooling myself,” he admits. “I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how positive (the feedback) is.”
Acura says the ZDX, which is the first model to come out of the brand’s Torrance, CA, design studio from start to finish, will be priced between the MDX and RL. For ’10, the MDX begins at $40,990, while the RL starts at $46,830.
cschweinsberg@wardsauto.com
Old 08-24-09, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's some prototype shots from the auto show circut:

I'll let Mike go first on this one, because I suspect he will definitely have some comments.

But, I'll just say, for the moment, I'd like to see some wood-tone inside, especially for a flagship. All that light-colored trim doesn't impress me much. Also, the rear roofline is too low and cuts out too much cargo space.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-24-09 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-24-09, 07:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by akhi2003
Acura Rethinks Flagship Moniker With ZDX; RL Still Has Place
By Christie Schweinsberg
WardsAuto.com, Aug 21, 2009 8:00 AM

ROCHESTER, MI – American Honda Motor Co. Inc.’s premium Acura brand says the RL sedan still has a place in its lineup, though monthly sales have fallen to a mere 100 units or so. (lol)
However, executives now view the upcoming ZDX cross/utility vehicle as Acura’s ultimate luxury model, a top official tells Ward’s.
“Having a vehicle above (the) TL is a good position for us,” Gary Robinson, assistant manager-Acura product planning, says on the sidelines of a recent media event here. (captain obvious Mr. Robinson is)
“Obviously, we wish it was more than 135 people that bought (RL) every month, but it’s a great car and we’re happy enough with (it) selling at a very small volume.” (wait till dealers read this, they are not happy they can't sell it)
RL sales through July tumbled 62.6% to 1,192 from 3,191 year-ago, Ward’s data shows.
The car steadily has been losing volume since its sales launch in 2004 as an ’05 model (like 1sick said it would), when Acura targeted 20,000 annual deliveries. An extensive refresh last year was designed to lift sales but had little effect. (no kidding have you seen it)
Still, the RL retains its buyer loyalty, Robinson says. With tooling costs mostly paid (it is another Accord based vehicle), keeping the car in the Acura lineup is financially sustainable. However, he does not say when a new RL is expected to arrive. (dear Mr. Robinson no one cares, no one is holding their breath)

New ZDX has standard leather seating, power tailgate. (whooty doo)
Recent comments by new Honda Motor Co. Ltd. CEO Takanobu Ito suggest Acura customers hoping for a competitor to BMW AG’s fullsize 7-Series sedan will have to keep waiting, as a rear-wheel-drive platform and V-8 engine no longer are part of the auto maker’s plans. (all Acura fanbois can do is hope)
While most car buyers and industry watchers consider large sedans as a brand’s superlative model, Acura is trying to change that perception with the upcoming ZDX. (that is so stupid its not even funny)
The new 5-passenger CUV, which the auto maker is calling a “sport coupe,” (thats stupid as well) is being billed as the brand’s most-luxurious, technology-laden model ever. (that ain't saying much)
The all-new vehicle, which hits the U.S. market this winter, will get hand-stitched detailing on its leather-covered dashboard, door panels and center console. Light-emitting diodes (sounds fancy but that means LEDs and Lexus has had them since 2005)will be used extensively in the cabin, and the “longest glass roof in the industry” will have dual automatic sunshades. (wow, the longest glass roof)
A 10-way power driver’s seat and 8-way power passenger seat are standard (welcome to 1992), as is a power tailgate and dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control.
Powering the ZDX will be Acura’s 3.7L V-6, already in the MDX CUV, making 300 hp and 270 lb.-ft. (366 Nm) of torque and mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. (welcome to 2004)
The ZDX also gets standard Acura’s Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive. A new technology dubbed IDS, for Integrated Dynamics System, will be optional. IDS combines an active damper system, similar to that seen in the MDX, with speed-sensitive steering, allowing the driver to dial in preferred levels of sport or comfort, Acura says. (yes b/c this will be at the track)
Despite the company’s assertion the ZDX will attract “an entirely new luxury customer to the Acura brand,” (yes blind gnomes will love this thing) Robinson says the CUV likely will cull some customers who tire of the larger 7-seat MDX.
Related Stories

The ZDX presents them with the opportunity to have “something different in their garage,” (you mean something ugly) he says. “There’s also going to be other people for whom it’s just a different type of vehicle…and they’re looking for something like that.”
Despite some negative online chatter about the unorthodox coupe/wagon/SUV appearance of the ZDX, Robinson says Acura is confident it captured the right design and is proud of the vehicle’s provocative nature. (some, how about 95% is negative you imbecile)
“We tried to do something that was different and stylish and would be an exercise in design and styling and something new for us,” he says. “(The ZDX) is not meant to be a high-volume vehicle, so it’s fine if not everybody likes it.” (well your sales goal is 15k and you won't sell 8k, 1sick says so)
Robinson says, so far, he hasn’t received any negative feedback. “I might be fooling myself,” he admits. “I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how positive (the feedback) is.” (Yes you are fooling yourself, or you are just a fool)
Acura says the ZDX, which is the first model to come out of the brand’s Torrance, CA, design studio from start to finish (thats freaking SCARY), will be priced between the MDX and RL. For ’10, the MDX begins at $40,990, while the RL starts at $46,830. (HOW THE HELL is a FLAGSHIP MODEL priced UNDER the RL???? Are they that stupid?)
Geezus does any other company talk out their *** as much as they do? Does any other company have so much to say and have nothing to back it up? Fanbois say "yall always talk about Acura" but damn, they give us something to talk about EVERY WEEK!!!

DEAR ACURA SHUT THE HELL UP

My goodness for years now we keep getting these funny, useless press releases! STOP IT ITS NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!!

Old 08-24-09, 07:20 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this article saying the ZDX will eventually become the flagship, or that it's pointing Acura in the right direction to move towards a flagship-like, better, RL? I really don't see this vehicle being a "flagship" for anything except maybe at Star Trek convention. Oh, Acura... make something that I can replace my Integra with !!!!
Old 08-24-09, 08:43 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG this crap is just too funny...
Old 08-24-09, 08:49 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akhi2003
ONLY IF MB, BMW and LEXUS FILES CHAPTER 13,11, or 7 which ever it is, all at one time...
Old 08-24-09, 08:56 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
ONLY IF MB, BMW and LEXUS FILES CHAPTER 13,11, or 7 which ever it is, all at one time...
Nope, Hyundai will be tier-1 before Acura does.

Genesis vs. TL?

Equus vs. RL?

'Nuff said...
Old 08-24-09, 09:14 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Nope, Hyundai will be tier-1 before Acura does.

Genesis vs. TL?

Equus vs. RL?

'Nuff said...
i have to say i might have to agree with this.
Old 08-24-09, 09:30 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Accord Crosstour!

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spi...rosstour-spied
Old 08-24-09, 09:53 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's some prototype shots from the auto show circut:

I'll let Mike go first on this one, because I suspect he will definitely have some comments.

But, I'll just say, for the moment, I'd like to see some wood-tone inside, especially for a flagship. All that light-colored trim doesn't impress me much. Also, the rear roofline is too low and cuts out too much cargo space.

I think rear visibility is more of a problem than cargo space here
Old 08-24-09, 09:54 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Geezus does any other company talk out their *** as much as they do? Does any other company have so much to say and have nothing to back it up? Fanbois say "yall always talk about Acura" but damn, they give us something to talk about EVERY WEEK!!!

DEAR ACURA SHUT THE HELL UP

My goodness for years now we keep getting these funny, useless press releases! STOP IT ITS NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!!
LOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

i don't know what they're doing anymore...

and to think they committed suicide in these past 5 years.
Old 08-24-09, 09:58 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never been more irritated by an entire company before.

Whatever Mike put in blue pretty much is what I'm thinking right now. Is it really possible to be as dense, stupid, and blind as Acura is?
Old 08-24-09, 10:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The all-new vehicle, which hits the U.S. market this winter, will get hand-stitched detailing on its leather-covered dashboard, door panels and center console. Light-emitting diodes will be used extensively in the cabin, and the “longest glass roof in the industry” will have dual automatic sunshades.
A 10-way power driver’s seat and 8-way power passenger seat are standard, as is a power tailgate and dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control."
The hand-stitched leather dashboard will definitely be a nice touch, so will the use of LEDs throughout the cabin (just like Lexus). However, "longest glass roof in the industry"?? Are they sure? The R-Class has a pretty damn big (long and wide) glass roof and it's only split into two !!! I've never seen a glass roof that large that is actually capable of tilting and sliding so I'd like to see how large Acura's "longest glass roof in the industry" really is. Also, a Camry has 8-way power front seats with driver's power lumbar (so 10-way). A GS has 12-way driver's and 8-way passenger. They might wanna up their power count. Just because the TL has 6-way power passenger seat, doesn't mean 8-way is that much better (just better than other Acuras)
Old 08-24-09, 10:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Some flagship, certainly not a premium car makers flagship.

Congrats on the 6 speed tranny, better late than never.
Old 08-24-09, 10:53 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

wow, am I sensing desperation here???
what a slap in the face for the RL. what a joke acura

Quick Reply: ACURA Rethinks Flagship Moniker with ZDX