Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi A1 enters production in Oct.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 11:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

cool. Looks like a very euro car. Nice styling and build quality with no power, small size, and solid handling
Old 08-26-09, 11:54 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the A3 and think this is as far downmarket Audi needs to go. Any more, they'll be bumping elbows with VW.

Audi needs a A4 coupe to compete with the 3 series. Now that is a gunfight I would like to witness.
Old 08-27-09, 04:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Audi says it can't sell the A1 here. Yet, rival BMW successfully sells the 1-series and Mini-Cooper (though the American-market 1-series price, admittedly, is too close to that of the 3-series). Mercedes, through Penske-sponsored dealerships, sells the Smart-for-Two, which is a LOT smaller than an A1 (though, admittedly, Mercedes will not yet bring the A and B-classes here). Volvo sells the small C30 here. Saab sold the 9-2X, a redone Subaru Impreza, and would probably still have it except for the Impreza's redesign last year, which was not shared with Saab. Infiniti, for years, sold the compact G20, a redone Nissan Sentra. Acura sold the hugely successful Integra for years, and, later, the TSX/RSX. And Lexus is about to introduce a compact hybrid HS250.......there is already a long list of HS250 customer orders, before the car even goes into production.

We heard this same line from Audi's marketers, some years ago, about the A3........"Oh, no, it just won't sell in America......Americans just don't want small hatchbacks". Yet, when they DID bring it over here, it turned out to be one of Audi's more successful vehicles.

Didn't I read about some pullback Mike on BMW 1-series losing sales % vs 3-series, because, in typical American fashion, we crave larger cars...
Old 08-27-09, 06:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
A lot of speculation here, but he did quote facts/sales stats and those are horrible sale numbers. In the Silicon Valley the A3 is fairly popular. I like the A3 personally.
The A3 is on pace to sell about 3,100 cars in N.A. this year (250/mo.). It makes sense for them to not risk brining the A1 here right now. Keeping it for other markets does make sense. I like it personally and crossed shopped it, but it was too small for my needs at the time.
Old 08-27-09, 06:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

In the land of the super sized, the A1 just wouldnt do good here. Well maybe if Audi put a 300 HP engine in there
Old 08-27-09, 06:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Audi's answer to the Mini. This beautiful car has been a concept for to long. Audi has taken the conservative cloak off years ago and is letting loose with the product
Old 08-27-09, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Didn't I read about some pullback Mike on BMW 1-series losing sales % vs 3-series, because, in typical American fashion, we crave larger cars...

It's not the 1-Series' size that it is holding it back as much as the fact that BMW put the same engines in it as the 3-series and priced it too closely. Yet the 1-series does continue to sell....but it would probably sell even better if it had a lower-priced, 4-cylinder option. That would open up the possibility of BMW ownership up to those who now cannot afford even a 6-cylinder 1-series....or 3-series.
Old 08-27-09, 06:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, why buy a 1 series when you can get a 3 for a few thousand dollars more.
Old 08-27-09, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, why buy a 1 series when you can get a 3 for a few thousand dollars more.
Well, people are buying the 1-series, although a lot MORE would probably be buying them if the price were lower. Audi, if it changes its mind and DOES introduce the A1 to the American market, has a fresh chance, now, not to make the marketing mistakes BMW did with the 1-series.
Old 08-27-09, 09:43 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

they just need to make a hybrid version and it would sell like hotcakes.
Old 08-27-09, 09:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, people are buying the 1-series
Not here in the Northeast they are not, I think I have seen one 1 series so far. For a entry level sedan, the 1 series should out sell all BMW models. or at least come close to it. The last time I check, the 3 series out sell the 1 series 6 to 1 and even going up two steps in the model lineup, the 5 series sell 4.5 times as much as the 1 series in the US. I could not call those sales numbers for the 1 series a success.
Old 08-27-09, 10:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Not here in the Northeast they are not, I think I have seen one 1 series so far. For a entry level sedan, the 1 series should out sell all BMW models. or at least come close to it. The last time I check, the 3 series out sell the 1 series 6 to 1 and even going up two steps in the model lineup, the 5 series sell 4.5 times as much as the 1 series in the US. I could not call those sales numbers for the 1 series a success.
Another model better suited for markets other than the U.S. and Canada.
Old 08-27-09, 10:42 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I could see the A1 doing well, but only in certain areas it seems. In Vancouver there are A3s and 1-series everywhere.
Old 08-27-09, 10:45 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by GFerg
No. The name A1 probably wont work in the U.S. because it is already taken. It is the name of a popular steak sauce.
I highly doubt that people will be confusing steak sauce with a German automobile.
Old 08-27-09, 10:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I highly doubt that people will be confusing steak sauce with a German automobile.
Yes, but in the US we've seen lawyers go after even lamer things than that.

Quick Reply: Audi A1 enters production in Oct.