Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Audi A8 To Get 8-Speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
How about the CVT in the GS hybrid, I think that use a planetary gear CVT.
The CVT in the GS is a worlds first as it can work either with the electric motors, the gas engine and both. I love it, never thought I would like a CVT. I even don't mind it in the Altima.

As for 8 speeds, lol, BMW has it now Audi and we know Lexus was first. 8 is the new 5.

For those that don't believe, traveling 80 MPH at 2200 RPM is sensational for MPG. In contrast an INfiniti M45 with the 5 speed is over 3600 RPM so its louder, rougher and it hurts MPG.

Old 08-30-09, 10:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The CVT in the GS is a worlds first as it can work either with the electric motors, the gas engine and both. I love it, never thought I would like a CVT. I even don't mind it in the Altima.

As for 8 speeds, lol, BMW has it now Audi and we know Lexus was first. 8 is the new 5.

For those that don't believe, traveling 80 MPH at 2200 RPM is sensational for MPG. In contrast an INfiniti M45 with the 5 speed is over 3600 RPM so its louder, rougher and it hurts MPG.
Lolz

With that said, boy I can't wait for the 2020 Lexus LS with 20 speed transmission. Haha, I guess it shifts every 10 kph
Old 08-30-09, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
With that said, boy I can't wait for the 2020 Lexus LS with 20 speed transmission. Haha, I guess it shifts every 10 kph
LOL. Or hauls a 40-foot trailer with 50,000 Lbs. of freight.
Old 08-30-09, 11:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My mother's 5-speed Honda Odyssey hovers around 2200rpm at 80mph also Tall gear is awesome on the highway as long as the engine is not lugging around. If I need more power, downshifting is sufficient enough.

I still don't see a need for 8 speed. 6spd is the most I'll ever need. 7spd is pushing it. On a sports sedan like the ISF, 8spd makes sense. 1-6 gears are primarily for track use and then 7-8 is for your drive home on the highway.
Old 08-30-09, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I still don't see a need for 8 speed. 6spd is the most I'll ever need. 7spd is pushing it. On a sports sedan like the ISF, 8spd makes sense. 1-6 gears are primarily for track use and then 7-8 is for your drive home on the highway.
For legal speeds in the U.S., or anything close to them, you probably won't need 7th or 8th at all. In fact, at those speeds, in those gears, the engine may actually be lugging.
Old 08-30-09, 03:04 PM
LexFather

CArs went from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 8 speeds. The current Lexus 8 speed is lighter and uses less parts than the 6 speed. Why not?

Engineers that well, you know, engineer, figure its better to have more gears. Internetz says you only need 3 gears tops. Lets go retro

Old 08-30-09, 04:00 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I hope it looks like this...

I really like the look of it!
Old 08-30-09, 11:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For legal speeds in the U.S., or anything close to them, you probably won't need 7th or 8th at all. In fact, at those speeds, in those gears, the engine may actually be lugging.
LOL, the ratios are closer via the extra ratios, no lugging at legal speeds. You will notice this when your drive these cars and glance at tach.

btw, how do you come up with this stuff?
Old 08-30-09, 11:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CArs went from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 8 speeds. The current Lexus 8 speed is lighter and uses less parts than the 6 speed. Why not?

Engineers that well, you know, engineer, figure its better to have more gears. Internetz says you only need 3 gears tops. Lets go retro
Exactly, progress combined with improved reliability is what's happening at Lexus and Mercedes when it comes to trannys.
Old 08-31-09, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
LOL, the ratios are closer via the extra ratios, no lugging at legal speeds. You will notice this when your drive these cars and glance at tach.

btw, how do you come up with this stuff?
I'm not just coming up with "stuff". I've driven 7 and 8-speed Lexus and M-B products, although, admittedly, not in really high-speed conditions like the Autobahn. But, in general, you've really got to get rolling before the trannies go into their high fears. In most normal driving, you generally don't get out of 6th gear unless you are really pushing it....or use the shift paddles to force the gears higher. If and when you DO get in 7th or 8th gear on its own (which is not very often, unless you are on a long stretch of straight road where you toss the dice with state troopers), the tranny usually downshifts back to 6th or 5th under significant pedal pressure, or if you're going up a hill.

Even on the 8-speed IS-F I drove (a decidedly sporty transmission with, as you indicate, close-ratios), I took it up to 75-80 for a stretch of straight road, and I don't remember the tranny going out of 6th on its own. To get it into high gear without the paddles, I would have probably had to risk my license and insurance policy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-09 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-31-09, 07:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not just coming up with "stuff". I've driven 7 and 8-speed Lexus and M-B products, although, admittedly, not in really high-speed conditions like the Autobahn. But, in general, you've really got to get rolling before the trannies go into their high fears. In most normal driving, you generally don't get out of 6th gear unless you are really pushing it....or use the shift paddles to force the gears higher. If and when you DO get in 7th or 8th gear on its own (which is not very often, unless you are on a long stretch of straight road where you toss the dice with state troopers), the tranny usually downshifts back to 6th or 5th under significant pedal pressure, or if you're going up a hill.

Even on the 8-speed IS-F I drove (a decidedly sporty transmission with, as you indicate, close-ratios), I took it up to 75-80 for a stretch of straight road, and I don't remember the tranny going out of 6th on its own. To get it into high gear without the paddles, I would have probably had to risk my license and insurance policy.
I was just wondering. Couple of points below, since I've driven the cars with these trannys too.

. Try the IS-F again, it comes out of 6th gear and upshifts into top gear cruising 75-80 on flat ground, which is normal cruising speed in many parts of US. It will jog the memory.

. Good transmissions are designed to downshift based on demands, and remain in overdrive when cruising, that's how high highway mileage is achieved. And the modern engines have plenty of power and torque to prevent lugging.
Old 08-31-09, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I was just wondering. Couple of points below, since I've driven the cars with these trannys too.

. Try the IS-F again, it comes out of 6th gear and upshifts into top gear cruising 75-80 on flat ground, which is normal cruising speed in many parts of US. It will jog the memory.

. Good transmissions are designed to downshift based on demands, and remain in overdrive when cruising, that's how high highway mileage is achieved. And the modern engines have plenty of power and torque to prevent lugging.
Well......yes. The IS-F DOES have some torque, though not quite to its 414 HP raing. (you really notice it between 3600-4000 RPM, when the computer and fuel-injectors really start doing their stuff). But, don't forget, more gears, just means more shifting, and more shifting means more wear on the tranny.

I respect your opinion, and see some of your points, but I still don't see where where that many gears is really needed. I haven't driven a car yet that I thought really needed more than 5 or 6....any more than that, and you might as well use a CVT and get an infinite number.
Old 08-31-09, 07:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Well......yes. The IS-F DOES have some torque, though not quite to its 414 HP raing. (you really notice it between 3600-4000 RPM, when the computer and fuel-injectors really start doing their stuff). But, don't forget, more gears, just means more shifting, and more shifting means more wear on the tranny.

I respect your opinion, and see some of your points, but I still don't see where where that many gears is really needed. I haven't driven a car yet that I thought really needed more than 5 or 6....any more than that, and you might as well use a CVT and get an infinite number.
I see your point and respect your opinion and I disagree. The IS-F has plenty of torque, well over 300 lbs of torgue in a car that weight less than 3900 pounds.

My personal preference is the 6/7/8 speed reliable Mercedes/Lexus auto tranny. Haven't forgot that more gears means more shifting, but with the advancements and parts reduction in modern trannys the increase in complexity isn't always linear.

I think we both agree that CVT has potential for more future applications.
Old 08-31-09, 07:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the 8 speed in the LS was actually lighter and had less parts than the outgoing 6 speed I believe
Old 08-31-09, 09:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Now imagine if Lexus decided to use that engineering on a 6spd. It'll be even lighter and use less parts than the 8spd auto

Quick Reply: 2011 Audi A8 To Get 8-Speed Automatic