Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Audi A8 To Get 8-Speed Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 09:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2011 Audi A8 To Get 8-Speed Automatic

2011 Audi A8 To Get 8-Speed Automatic

Not too long ago we told you that the upcoming 2011 Audi A8 would make its world debut at the 2010 Detroit Auto Show. We're sticking to that story and now sources at Audi are telling us that the new flagship sedan will feature an eight-speed automatic transmission hooked to its 4.2-liter V8. We were told to expect about 375-horsepower out of the standard engine and the usual quattro all-wheel drive setup.

The new drivetrain isn't exactly groundbreaking for the class, but it does open up an interesting new possibility for the 2011 Audi S5 coupe. Although the original plan called for the S5 to switch to the S4 sedan's supercharged V6 after the 2010 model year, overwhelming enthusiasm inside and outside the company for the S5's current V8 setup has convinced the company to reconsider. Given the coupe's surprising speed with the current 354-horsepower powerplant, an extra 20 horses and some extra torque certainly couldn't hurt. And as much as we like the six-speed manual in our long-term S5, the eight-speed auto might be even faster. We'll see.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...automatic.html
Old 08-27-09, 09:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

As expected, they make fun of the Lexus 8-speed when they dont offer it, now BMW and Audi will have a version of their own.
Old 08-28-09, 02:46 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

dont forget hyundai who has decided that 8 speeds is needed. when is lexus coming out with 9?
Old 08-28-09, 03:09 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
dont forget hyundai who has decided that 8 speeds is needed. when is lexus coming out with 9?
make it 10
Old 08-28-09, 05:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex
make it 10
Lmao. I guess I can't wait till Shimano releases a 30-speed transmission for their bicycles

Or CVT (which has infinite speeds......) :lol:

P.S.
Apparently, VAG uses four types of automatic gearboxes:
-Tiptronic automatic
-Multitronic CVT
-R-tronic single clutch gearbox
-S-tronic dual clutch gearbox

My question is: Would it still be feasible for VAG to keep tiptronic? What implications would it be if they still kept it as an option in their transmission lineup?

I mean, all they need to do is to:
-Make their Multitronic CVT be compatible with quattro and increase torque limit
-Spread the usage of the R-tronic outside the R8
-Continuing making the S-tronic Dual Clutch as the flagship and increase its torque limit. Once this thing can handle the massive torque levels of their highest output engines (5.0-5.2 liter V10 TFSI, W12 engine, V12 Diesel, etc.), then there would be no need for Tiptronic anymore.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-28-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its like my new bike, 21 speed and I use only maybe 6 of them. 8 speed is not needed.
Old 08-28-09, 06:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
As expected, they make fun of the Lexus 8-speed when they dont offer it, now BMW and Audi will have a version of their own.
I don't play favorites. I think that both the Mercedes 7-speeds and Lexus 8-speeds are overkill, and I'll probably feel the same about Audi's new 8-speed. In most cases, you usually don't need more than 5 or 6....especially for most daily driving. If you're going to have more than that, you might as well use a CVT, with a infinite number of ratios.

I also agree with blackraven......adapt the superb S-Tronic/DSG to higher-torque engines. This is a excellent transmission...one of the best I've seen. Unfortunately, Audi seems to be phasing it out of more and more of their American-spec cars, restricting it to European use. VW, fortunately, still has it on a couple of models.

And last, too bad. With an all-new A8, Audi had a chance, this time, to get rid of that silly oversized grille, and failed to do so.
Old 08-28-09, 06:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
My thoughts exactly. Lexus offers an 8 speed auto and all of the German fanbois go on about how its foolish, overkill, not necessary, etc.

Fast forward two years and...voila! BMW and Audi have 8 speeds. Anyone want to eat their words?

Old 08-28-09, 06:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't play favorites. I think that both the Mercedes 7-speeds and Lexus 8-speeds are overkill, and I'll probably feel the same about Audi's new 8-speed. In most cases, you usually don't need more than 5 or 6....especially for most daily driving. If you're going to have more than that, you might as well use a CVT, with a infinite number of ratios.
Disagree. The reason the LS 460 can cross 30MPG on the highway is because the car cruises at less than 2000rpms...thanks to that "overkill" transmission. Same for IS Fs pulling 27-28MPG on extended range driving.

You could make the case gearing a 6 speed transmission with taller ratios would have a similar effect, but it's really hard to argue with the 8AT in the LS after driving and living with one. It shifts effortlessly and quickly (can drop several gears at once if under hard acceleration) and deilvers outstanding fuel economy for a 380HP full size car. The direct shift unit in the IS F is quite honestly flawless as well.
Old 08-28-09, 06:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My thoughts exactly. Lexus offers an 8 speed auto and all of the German fanbois go on about how its foolish, overkill, not necessary, etc.

Fast forward two years and...voila! BMW and Audi have 8 speeds. Anyone want to eat their words?

Well, is that any different from Lexus copying the BMW Bangle-Butt trunk lid on the LS460? Again, I think it looks goofy on both cars. Same principle, IMO, as the 8-speed comparison between Lexus and Audi.
Old 08-28-09, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Disagree. The reason the LS 460 can cross 30MPG on the highway is because the car cruises at less than 2000rpms...thanks to that "overkill" transmission. Same for IS Fs pulling 27-28MPG on extended range driving.

You could make the case that you could gear a 6 speed transmission with taller ratios, but it's really hard to argue with the 8AT in the LS after driving and living with one. It shifts effortlessly and quickly (can drop several gears at once if under hard acceleration) and deilvers outstanding fuel economy for a 380HP full size car.
Of course the 8-speed is more flexible, but quite complex and difficult to produce. If you're going to have that kind of flexibility, why not just use a simple CVT...or develop a CVT that will take V8 torque?
Old 08-28-09, 06:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course the 8-speed is more flexible, but quite complex and difficult to produce. If you're going to have that kind of flexibility, why not just use a simple CVT...or develop a CVT that will take V8 torque?
If I recall, the 8AT actually uses less parts than the older 6AT and weighs less.

As for CVTs, personally I do not like them. I know it is probably fine for some people but hearing a constant groan under moderate or heavy acceleration gets old IMO. I like the feeling and hearing the revs build, upshift, revs build, upshift, etc.

I wouldn't mind one if I owned a Prius or something, but not in any car that I would put my foot into every now and then.
Old 08-28-09, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If I recall, the 8AT actually uses less parts than the older 6AT and weighs less.

As for CVTs, personally I do not like them. I know it is probably fine for some people but hearing a constant groan under moderate or heavy acceleration gets old IMO. I like the feeling and hearing the revs build, upshift, revs build, upshift, etc.

I wouldn't mind one if I owned a Prius or something, but not in any car that I would put my foot into every now and then.
CVTs, if done correctly, can actually increase both acceleration AND gas mileage.....their efficiency is outstanding. Check out the new Subaru 2.5 Legacy/Outback or Nissan V6 CVTs and you will see what I mean. Older CVTs sometimes had weird sensations, but most of those have been engineered out of the new Subaru/Nissan units....and they have 6 programmable gear "ranges"
Old 08-28-09, 06:36 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yes i remember lexus saying that the 8 speeder was lighter than the 6 it replaced. plus many people hate driving CVTs. in all fairness, the merc 7 speed is the best auto gearbox I have ever driven. it is much faster at reacting that lexus autos.

plus cvts dont scream luxury car, which is why that are widely used in nissans etc etc, and just hybrids because of their fuel efficiency
Old 08-28-09, 07:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

6 or 7 gears I can see rationalility, but when you start getting into 8 or or more gears, it starts to get silly.

Quick Reply: 2011 Audi A8 To Get 8-Speed Automatic