Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Debunking the Lexus age myth

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 12:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Repost: This article was out a while ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-age-myth.html

Rebecca Lindland, IHS Global Insight: "Lexuses are dolled-up Toyota appliances." Methinks someone should turn in their analyst credentials!
Old 10-05-09, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Lexus needs to put a 6spd trans in the IS350 and IS-F.
The paddle shifters in the IS-F can shift quicker than any straight manual transmission I've ever seen.
Old 10-05-09, 12:12 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The paddle shifters in the IS-F can shift quicker than any straight manual transmission I've ever seen.
That's true but there are enthusiasts like myself that want to press clutch and shift through the gears .
Old 10-05-09, 12:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

And what is wrong with Lexus dominating the senior citizen market and let everyone else fight over that under 55 market. Lexus is smart, they concentrate on their bread and butter, which is older buyers. Then they start to try to tap into the younger buyer's market with the introducing of some models that are sportier. Although they have not been terribly successful with their sport sedans, they still have a cash cow in there soft riding comfortable sedans.
Old 10-05-09, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man

And what is wrong with Lexus dominating the senior citizen market and let everyone else fight over that under 55 market.

Although they have not been terribly successful with their sport sedans, they still have a cash cow in there soft riding comfortable sedans.
The problem, G man, is that Lexus has made most of their sedans distinctly less-comfortable-riding in the last several years. That....and the increasingly plastic interiors.....is where they are screwing up. It is OK to have a couple of sport sedans like the IS-F and IS350, but when you start to take ride comfort of of the ES, something is wrong. Even the LS460, though still tomb-quiet, is noticeably firmer, with lower-profile tires, than its 430 and 400 predecessors.

The new RX350/460, though, has kept its superb interior, and does not seem to have been with cost-cutting.
Old 10-05-09, 12:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is "electronic" in its execution & feels very artificial. Yes, Ive driven the IS-F..

On to the article, Lexus needs to dispel the perceptions by introducing more product across the board.. What are they doing with the Billions of dollars earned & saved??
Old 10-05-09, 12:23 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

No doubt, start with the product and marketing. Their product aim for the younger buyers should have a different design studio than their other products. It should be run by different managment and given more design freedom. They also need a different advertising frim for models aim at younger buyer.
Old 10-05-09, 12:26 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The problem, G man, is that Lexus has made most of their sedans distinctly less-comfortable-riding in the last several years. That....and the increasingly plastic interiors.....is where they are screwing up. It is OK to have a couple of sport sedans like the IS-F and IS350, but when you start to take ride comfort of of the ES, something is wrong. Even the LS460, though still tomb-quiet, is noticeably firmer, with lower-profile tires, than its 430 and 400 predecessors.

The new RX350/460, though, has kept its superb interior, and does not seem to have been with cost-cutting.
Even with the stiffer ride, the new RX, LS and the ES are still pretty soft compare to the competition. I guess Lexus is as guilty as that other post about VW building softer cars for the US market. Lexus is trying to make sportier car, somehwere in the middle is the perfect ride
Old 10-05-09, 12:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No doubt, start with the product and marketing. Their product aim for the younger buyers should have a different design studio than their other products. It should be run by different managment and given more design freedom. They also need a different advertising frim for models aim at younger buyer.
Why not start with Lotus Lexus? They thank you for the engines.. Why not borrow some of the untapped talent in their design & engineering dept.?
Old 10-05-09, 12:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main "problem" that Lexus has with younger buyers IMO is the RX... and in some ways that is a really nice "problem" to have. It's a double edged sword- a run away success that in itself sells almost as much as the entire class, but it also has a relatively narrow appeal: Middle aged women with a kid or two, and empty nesters.

The GLK, X3, and Q5 all sell to a relatively young demographic...they are essentially the SUV versions of their entry level sedan siblings- C, 3, A4. When looking at those models there is a much larger disparity between the IS and the RX in terms of size, demeanor, character, and philosophy. While the RX resonates loudly with the target groups I mentioned above, it is not even remotely on the radar for anyone younger. None of those vehicles are as successful in terms of sales as the RX, but the RX is also not doing anything to help the Lexus demographic.

For a long time I fought off the idea of a sub-RX SUV but if Lexus could base it off the IS platform, make it a tad smaller than RX, and essentially market and sell it as the anti-RX I think they could possibly be onto something. I have brought up the idea before of Venza-ifying the IS and creating something like an IS Tourer but that wasn't too well received on this forum.

Additionally, I have no problem criticizing Lexus but I think the 2IS has been spot on. Two power options (granted one is weak), two transmission options, plenty of accessories available, decent price, right sized for most younger people, good looking inside and out, and enough of a personality to keep it on the radar. When the next generation arrives I am thinking we will get a coupe which should further the appeal with younger buyers.

Also, don't forget the likelihood/chance of the CT coming stateside.
Old 10-05-09, 12:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
For a long time I fought off the idea of a sub-RX SUV but if Lexus could base it off the IS platform, make it a tad smaller than RX, and essentially market and sell it as the anti-RX I think they could possibly be onto something. I have brought up the idea before of Venza-ifying the IS and creating something like an IS Tourer but that wasn't too well received on this forum.
There have been a rumor of a RAV4 based or similar sized Lexus SUV for a while now. I think its a smart move, make it small and make it sporty.
Old 10-05-09, 12:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

There have been a rumor of a RAV4 based or similar sized Lexus SUV for a while now. I think its a smart move, make it small and make it sporty.
If they do it it needs to be RWD/AWD and relatively sporty, in an effort to differentiate it from the RX. The Rav4 is FWD/AWD, though it is relatively sporty and enjoyable to drive in Sport trim.
Old 10-05-09, 12:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Lexus needs to put a 6spd trans in the IS350 and IS-F.
Maybe so, but that's going to have minimal, if any, impact on attracting younger buyers.
Old 10-05-09, 12:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Maybe so, but that's going to have minimal, if any, impact on attracting younger buyers.
Exactly. From a business standpoint, cannot be justified.
Old 10-05-09, 12:57 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

There's a concept.... LF-X
http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_x.html

Quick Reply: Debunking the Lexus age myth