Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Debunking the Lexus age myth

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09 | 08:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I also would like to add the vehicles available in the USED market. That teen at 18 can buy a new Civic Si or a used E46 M3 The Used market gives automakers a chance to show their stuff to even more people.

M and AMG cars have huge depreciation and with more and more of them being sold, more and more people get to experience the brands. It allows "youth" to buy one.
I see it all the time, teens buying a old BMW and then realize how much it cost to maintain one of those. Then they try to buy parts and maintain it themself to save money. In the end, they end up with a car that has lots of problems. Their next car, usually a cheap Japanese car like the Civics.
Old 10-07-09 | 08:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I could have afforded an M/AMG product when I bought my (used) car but the thought of maintenance quickly shunned that idea
Old 10-07-09 | 10:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I see it all the time, teens buying a old BMW and then realize how much it cost to maintain one of those. Then they try to buy parts and maintain it themself to save money. In the end, they end up with a car that has lots of problems. Their next car, usually a cheap Japanese car like the Civics.
Quite true.. Young people will find out quickly that they are in way over their head with the vehicle when it comes to maintainence. The young will gasp & scurry once they discover dealership labor rates & prices for parts on the must have luxury car. One will be hard pressed to find used AMG & M cars for under $20k at their respective dealerships but can easily find them for under $20k at used car dealerships..

Used car dealerships are very shady & tend to lie to loan companies about the incomes of said young people just to get them into these high end cars.

Roll in a Rolla if you have to before getting into something way over your head.