Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Geely bought by Volvo (EU clears deal)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 01:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good ones, I can't keep track of all those Volvo stereotypes.
If you have trouble following Volvo stereotypes, just try and follow the Saab ones. Or, even more so, the VW ones.

Recently I've only known 2 people that own Volvos, none are listed above.
Volvo, of course, DID branch out a little in the 1990's, when they started to move away from stodgy, shoe-box designs and strictly RWD. The 1997 Volvo C70 of 1997, for example, was a gorgeous coupe, especially in the amber-yellow Saffron paint job (remember that?)....IMO, it should have been Car of the Year. But the old librarian image, among potential shoppers, still remained, and even the sport/performance Volvo R lines had trouble breaking into the Euro-sport-sedan crowd, who, by that time, was pretty much addicted to the BMW 3-series. The 3-series still rules the roost, sales-wise, in that category, though it has gotten some competition from newer competitors.
Old 09-01-09, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Volvos IMO are mediocre cars (even though I've always had access to insider discounts), not to mention they don't satisfy my requirements for performance, luxury, reliability, style.
Agreed....to an extent. They do tend to drive like appliances. With the possible exception of the small C30 coupe, I have yet to enjoy driving a U.S.-market Volvo product. Their driving feel and road manners explain much of the librarian/schoolteacher image.

But the original C70 coupe, though, like I said above, was truly gorgeous in the looks department.

Old 07-07-10, 03:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default EU clears Volvo's sale to Geely

EU clears Volvo's sale to Geely

Volvo and Geely have taken another step toward holy matrimony. The European Union has officially approved the Chinese company's takeover of the Swedish manufacturer. The EU found that the move wouldn't stifle competition within its borders and gave all of the interested parties the green light. Ford originally agreed to sell Geely its former ward in March of this year, and the $1.8 billion dollar purchase is well on its way to becoming reality.

The move is a big one, not just for Volvo and Geely, but the whole of the Chinese auto market. According to Reuters, the buy is the largest overseas automotive acquisition any Chinese company has made to date. We would be surprised if it were the last, though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/07/e...sale-to-geely/
Old 07-07-10, 04:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

wow. I guess I wont be owning a Volvo any time soon. The chinese are going to scavenge the designs from volvo to add to their already cars that are already devoid of any originality.
Old 07-07-10, 04:19 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh, Volvo will still have control over their own products and production lines in Europe. Geely will get some Volvo factories in China for their market and some trickle down innovations from Volvo. I don't think this is going to have too much of an impact on the cars we see on our shores or in Europe for that matter.