Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson speaks out against female hosts for Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 10:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Jeremy Clarkson speaks out against female hosts for Top Gear

Top Gear chief Jeremy Clarkson is no stranger to controversy when he speaks. In fact, he rather seems to thrive on it, which undoubtedly is a big part of the appeal of the show. Earlier this week, he spouted off again apparently in an attempt to irritate (or bemuse) women everywhere while at the same time alienating his core audience.

While discussing Top Gear at a television conference in Scotland, Clarkson apparently indicated that he didn't think a female presenter would be able to hold her own in the testosterone-infused environment that is the Top Gear studio. According to Clarkson: "I think a girl would be a disaster, seeing the chemistry we have now...you bring a girl in and you start taking the **** out of her, that would look like bullying."

What do you think – is Clarkson right or wrong? Could Top Gear benefit from a female voice, or is it better off as a boys' club?

I say don't mess with the greatest automotive TV show ever. Its perfect just the way it is. The idea of throwing a lady into the mix seems weird and will ruin the dynamic of the three other hosts IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Jeremy Clarkson speaks out against female hosts for Top Gear-jeremy-clarkson-gesture-suit-getty-630.jpg  
Old 08-30-09, 10:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it aint broke, dont $&*# with it!!!

Unless they bring a half naked Angelina Jolie there, but thats another story.
Old 08-30-09, 10:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it would be so lame to toss some random tarted up chick into the mix. They have done stupid **** like this on the speed channel in the states and it always seems so lame and contrived
Old 08-30-09, 10:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A woman in a male-oriented enthusiasts' show will be complicated.

If she's dominant and defensive, she'll be labeled a b;tch.
If she's passive and compliant, she'll be a ditz.

If it was a man in her place, he'd be one of the boys who can say whatever he wants to say, all the while being humorous, amiable, stupid, and understood the whole time. For a woman, humorous means she's unsexy, amiable means she's weak, stupid is stupid, and being understood is impossible...
Old 08-31-09, 01:58 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Top Gear has had a female presenter. From 1997 - 2001 Vikki Butler-Henderson was a regular on the show. She more than held her own and then moved to Channel 5 with her fellow presenters to start Fifth Gear, which she still appears in.

I do agree that putting a female presenter in with the current line up might be difficult but I'm sure that Sabine Schmitz, who drove Clarkson around the Nurburgring in her M5, and who presents the German version of Top Gear could do a decent job.
Old 08-31-09, 03:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
[I]
I do agree that putting a female presenter in with the current line up might be difficult but I'm sure that Sabine Schmitz, who drove Clarkson around the Nurburgring in her M5, and who presents the German version of Top Gear could do a decent job.
Yeah but I wouldnt exactly call Sabine a woman :X
Old 08-31-09, 09:18 AM
LexFather

She would have to have very very very thick skin......

Old 08-31-09, 10:03 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
A woman in a male-oriented enthusiasts' show will be complicated.

If she's dominant and defensive, she'll be labeled a b;tch.
If she's passive and compliant, she'll be a ditz.

If it was a man in her place, he'd be one of the boys who can say whatever he wants to say, all the while being humorous, amiable, stupid, and understood the whole time. For a woman, humorous means she's unsexy, amiable means she's weak, stupid is stupid, and being understood is impossible...

WOW!!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
She would have to have very very very thick skin......
Beyond true....

I will try to add more inside info to this "story" from trip I took last spring. Let me check and see if its "cool" to do so.

BRB
Old 08-31-09, 10:05 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Top Gear has had a female presenter. From 1997 - 2001 Vikki Butler-Henderson was a regular on the show. She more than held her own and then moved to Channel 5 with her fellow presenters to start Fifth Gear, which she still appears in.

for some reason, she just annoys me so much when i watch her on episodes of fifth gear.

Or it could just be Fifth gear entirely.
Old 08-31-09, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
for some reason, she just annoys me so much when i watch her on episodes of fifth gear.

Or it could just be Fifth gear entirely.
i actually think she's better than the guys, although overall, the scripting is HORRENDOUS. they actually do good DRIVING and reviews, but the on screen personalities come across as sickly and over the top with lame humor.
Old 08-31-09, 12:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i once saw a broadway play called "defending the caveman", a one man show about how in a modern world of feminists, and guys having to show their 'softer side', that guys are often abandoning their true male nature and that no matter what anyone says, there are fundamental differences in behavior between men and women. overall, i think that's true (not saying one is better than the other!).

anyway, in this funny play he talks about how men and women greet one another. a man will greet a male friend with a smile saying "hey a$$hole how are ya!" a woman will greet a female friend with a smile saying "ooh i love that outfit and your hair!" INSULTS vs. COMPLIMENTS. lol sure we all know exceptions to this, and Emerald, don't flame me, it's just an observation by someone that is sometimes but not always true.

anyway, i mention this because on top gear, they flame each other constantly, with jeremy commenting on hammond's height, james may being captain slow, etc.

as has been said you'd have to have a very thick-skinned female host who, to quote what someone said about margaret thatcher, has (metaphorically!) ***** of steel.
Old 08-31-09, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What do you think – is Clarkson right or wrong? Could Top Gear benefit from a female voice, or is it better off as a boys' club?

I don't watch tv auto shows (or read auto mags) to concern myself with gender or age. If they get people who know how to review a car objectively (and don't talk a lot of bull******), I personally don't care if they are young, old, black, white, male, female, or transvestite.

I can't help but think of Lisa Kelly, a young (28 year old), blonde (and good-looking) woman who drives big diesel rigs up and down the slippery ice roads in Northern Alaska delivering loads to oil companies on the North Slope. THAT is a dangerous driving job, if there ever was one......and she holds her own with the male truckers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-09 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-31-09, 02:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

dave barry comments on why men have trouble with shopping lists written by their wives...

http://jewishworldreview.com/dave/barry.php3
Old 08-31-09, 03:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't watch tv auto shows (or read auto mags) to concern myself with gender or age. If they get people who know how to review a car objectively (and don't talk a lot of bull******), I personally don't care if they are young, old, black, white, male, female, or transvestite.
I think you're missing the point of current format Top Gear. It is not a car review show, its an entertainment car show.
Old 08-31-09, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think you're missing the point of current format Top Gear. It is not a car review show, its an entertainment car show.
OK.....maybe you have a point. I don't watch the show much, but I do read Clarkson's Top Gear reviews.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson speaks out against female hosts for Top Gear