Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AUGUST 2009 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 08:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
different consumer priorities.

acura has always marketed itself as a safe car with practicality. 5 star crash tests, etc etc.

infiniti has always emphasized sportiness over anything else. just look at each company's commercials.

i think that most people don't care about sport or looks, and just want an all around practical car.

The TL has always been larger than the G35, for a similar price. That's a good reason to buy the TL.
It depends on region and dealership distribution too. I bet Infiniti has less dealers across the US especially in the midwest. In california, I actually see more G35/37s than I do TLs (probably due to less worries of having RWD in snow). When I was in the midwest, I saw Acura dealerships but no Infiniti dealerships and rarely saw a G35 on the street.
Old 09-04-09, 08:52 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It depends on region and dealership distribution too. I bet Infiniti has less dealers across the US especially in the midwest. In california, I actually see more G35/37s than I do TLs (probably due to less worries of having RWD in snow). When I was in the midwest, I saw Acura dealerships but no Infiniti dealerships and rarely saw a G35 on the street.
Don't know how it is in the rest of the Midwest but here in the STL there are 2 each of Acura and Infiniti dealerships. No problems seeing Infinitis on the roads, especially Gs.
Old 09-04-09, 08:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Also, for better or worse, Nissan has the Maxima which, especially now, has to be stealing sales from the G. It's a very attractive car and has almost the same level of premium quality and makes it very tempting for those considering a G. Unless I absolutely insisted on RWD or the upgraded customer experience of going up to Infiniti, I know I'd have a hard time choosing between the two.

Honda doesn't have that kind of overlap with Acura since the Accord is the top line sedan and has it's own following.
I agree that the Maxima is a compelling buy. I do think though the Accord does offer some of the same argument vs the TSX/TL. AIn fact the Accord is even closer to those two than the Maxima is to a G37.

Old 09-04-09, 08:56 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree that the Maxima is a compelling buy. I do think though the Accord does offer some of the same argument vs the TSX/TL. AIn fact the Accord is even closer to those two than the Maxima is to a G37.

You're right about the Accord/TSX/TL mash up. I think the big difference is starting price. One can get into a well equipped Accord for less than the starting price of the Acuras.
Old 09-04-09, 12:19 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I know, but it sounds cool.

I was just having a little fun but it's still interesting to see an aging car sell 41% more than an entire brand such as VW while being Europe's best selling brand.
Also the Camry is the number 1 mid-size sedan. It trumped the Tauras way back when and outsells the Accord. GM and Chrysler ain't got nothing on the Camry...
Old 09-04-09, 10:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

i don't see the fwd maxima with cheesy interior in any way a threat to the infiniti G. you'd need some serious beer goggles to see the maxima as similar.

about infiniti and acura comparisons... we can't have it both ways. acura most likely outsells them simply because their average price points are lower. and if infiniti plays acura's price points, we'll then be criticizing them for not being a real 'luxury' player.

i DON'T WANT infiniti to have a TSX or even TL competitor. IMO, the G37 is a MUCH nicer car than the TL.

with the dropping of the nicer legend, dropping the NSX, and the RL having a nice interior but little 'wow' factor, acura really isn't a luxury vehicle maker. are some of their products good? sure. i like the mdx quite a lot. but, and maybe it's because parent honda pulled the plug on r&d funds of never gave them much to begin with, acura has some serious problems, most recently with a huge injection of ugly into their line-up.
Old 09-05-09, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i DON'T WANT infiniti to have a TSX or even TL competitor. IMO, the G37 is a MUCH nicer car than the TL.

with the dropping of the nicer legend, dropping the NSX, and the RL having a nice interior but little 'wow' factor, acura really isn't a luxury vehicle maker. are some of their products good? sure. i like the mdx quite a lot. but, and maybe it's because parent honda pulled the plug on r&d funds of never gave them much to begin with, acura has some serious problems, most recently with a huge injection of ugly into their line-up.
That's where I see Acura and Infiniti in this competitive auto market.
Old 09-06-09, 09:12 AM
LexFather

U.K sales 2009 YTD

Originally Posted by Wimbledon
From the SMMT

Old 09-07-09, 09:24 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Mike for the U.K. YTD sales. It's very interesting. Ford and Vauxhall (GM subsidiary which is for sale) are the big dogs over there...
Old 09-07-09, 10:24 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Corvette is its own brand in the UK? Would have never thought that Ford would be so dominant as are the French cars (combined).
Old 09-07-09, 01:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder why the UK likes Ford so much.

I know Ford has made a great turnaround these past couple of years but their success in the UK has been high for a long time. Although part of it is because Ford offers better, sportier models in the UK than it's home country.

Toyota is only at 4/10th's of Ford's sales?
Honda at 2/th10's??
VW at 1/2?

Doesn't make to much sense.

Funny how each country has such different tastes and desires in cars. Doesn't make it easy for automakers.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 09-07-09 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-07-09, 01:39 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Originally Posted by YARIS!

Funny how each country has such different tastes and desires in cars. Doesn't make it easy for automakers.
Yeah, its pretty interesting to see that brands that do so well in one country, aren't very strong in another. Wish we could see more data from car sales in other countries. Would love to see how the Russian market looks like, especially because their car industry has been booming lately.

Canada sales: (link taken from vwvortex)
http://www.desrosiers.ca/Monthly%20Updates/sales.pdf

American cars still do quite well in Canada and Hyundai has shown amazing growth, they now sell as many cars as Honda! Lexus isn't the biggest in Canada as BMW, Mercedes and Acura have consistently sold more cars.
Old 09-07-09, 01:55 PM
LexFather

Ford actually does very well in Europe, not just the U.K. Their cars are usually rates among the best in class and are usually well received. Puma, Fiesta, Mondeo, Kuga, Focus all come to mind...

Old 09-07-09, 04:29 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Yeah, its pretty interesting to see that brands that do so well in one country, aren't very strong in another...
One problem about sales that isn't product based is due to country's past conflicts which is very unfortunate.

Japanese companies for example still have a hard time in China.
Many Americans had a problem buying German for many years.
and so on...
Old 09-08-09, 12:11 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i think that most people don't care about sport or looks, and just want an all around practical car.

The TL has always been larger than the G35, for a similar price. That's a good reason to buy the TL.
That may be true for the average mid-sized family sedan buyer but I doubt that is true for the luxury brands. There is no doubt that the polarizing look of the new TL has hurt its sales. Just look at the monthly stats 1SICKLEX has been posting of the TL vs ES. The TL historically was a pretty strong seller in the class but now even with a lot of incentives on the TL, Acura can't move the new TL at older ES volume levels.

Quick Reply: AUGUST 2009 Vehicles Sales