Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AUGUST 2009 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 10:40 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sigh.....we know you are here to argue and support Nissan so I'll be nice since you can't read... It was already in italics, now its in bold and in large font so you can't miss it. Please see my disclaimer which you conveniently CUT out of my post, then you posted the results I compiled.
Yea, that's exactly why I'm here. To support Nissan, because clearly I mention them in every single one of my posts, right? That comment is not really a good way to establish a "sense of community" around here, now is it?

And thanks for the insult about not being able to read. Not exactly true, but if it makes you happy to insult me (someone who rarely posts anymore for many reasons *cough cough*) then go right ahead

Next time just say "hey thanks for the data that everyone copies and uses all over the internet, here is a suggestion"..... . While I am a few others might consider Buick a luxury brand, MOST PEOPLE DO NOT. My list is informational only, its not concrete, it is changed and amended monthly.
Really? MOST people do not consider Buick a luxury brand? I find that extremely hard to believe. Do you have any links with facts and concrete data to support your theory?

If you add Buick to Caddy, should I add the Maxima to Infiniti and the Avalon to Lexus and the Accord V-6 to Acura sales?
Umm, no those are flagship sedans for mainstream brands. Why would anyone want to add car sales from a mainstream brand to other luxury brands? Certainly you're not suggesting Buick to be a mainstream brand, are you? ... are you?
Old 09-24-09, 01:26 PM
LexFather

Thanks for proving my point, you are here to argue only. Your posts have been reviewed, you come here to ARGUE and below is another example of such. Don't try to be cute using our "sense of community". If you had any SENSE you would have READ my disclaimer where I say my list is INFORMATIONAL only and things may not be where you like them.

How about next month you compile the sales list and compile the way you see fit?

My ES+IS+HS seems to have caused you heart burn. Are you mad your favorite brand can't be given away with 0%? IT IS INFORMATIONAL. Add anything you want. You could add yugo sales, that is fine.

Again you CONVENIENTLY OMITTED my "Disclaimer" that this is how I compile the list.

July
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...uto-sales.html
June
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...les-sales.html

If you are going to take the work compiled here and use it on your/other forum, at least give credit to here/us for the source of the info. Don't just steal the info compiled. Thank you.

Disclaimer- Some cars blend categories. You might not agree 100% where some are placed. This is informational only, you can decipher it as you please.Thanks

Also before making assumptions, be aware different vehicles have different sales goals and many times its not apples to apples. For instance its easy to say A car is outselling B car but B car might have much lower targets. Be aware of the sales goals.
So far.....

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Yea, that's exactly why I'm here. To support Nissan, because clearly I mention them in every single one of my posts, right? That comment is not really a good way to establish a "sense of community" around here, now is it?

And thanks for the insult about not being able to read. Not exactly true, but if it makes you happy to insult me (someone who rarely posts anymore for many reasons *cough cough*) then go right ahead

Really? MOST people do not consider Buick a luxury brand? I find that extremely hard to believe. Do you have any links with facts and concrete data to support your theory?

Please show me ONE COMPARISON where a BUICK is included against luxury brands. Does Buick have any vehicle to battle any car higher than a TL or ES? Buick is basically an American Acura. The funny thing is I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES I THINK BUICK IS A LUXURY BRAND the say way Acura is. You are ARGUING about something I agree with!

GM THEMSELVES is saying they want to push Buick upward. Did you miss the memo? They are acknowledging they are not there yet.

I really like what Buick has done and I applaud their effort. They are "near luxury" at best. Which is fine.

Again its informational, so add what you want!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/213373

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/09/...cts---yet.html

Umm, no those are flagship sedans for mainstream brands. Why would anyone want to add car sales from a mainstream brand to other luxury brands? Certainly you're not suggesting Buick to be a mainstream brand, are you? ... are you?

Again you miss the point. Its informational, why not add avalon sales. THE AVALON AND BUICKS ARE DIRECT COMPETITORS. The Maxima is an indirect competitor.

Why don't you contribute and find us Jag sales? You are here to just get upset Lexus has the IS/ES/HS added together in a list??. We aren't even here jumping up and down about it.

Its INFORMATIONAL

Funny another guy on another forum gets heartburn every month when I compile the list and "OMG 1SICK ADDED IS/ES SALES, WHAT A SPIN, THE LIST SUCKS THE WORLD IS ENDING ITS THERE TO PUT LEXUS FIRST" Is it that serious? I mean really getting upset b/c I added ES and IS sales? LMFAO

Hell if the I35 wasn't discontinued, I would have added I35 and G35 together.

WHY ARE YOU NOT BISHING ABOUT A4 + A5 sales?

Bottom line, add Nissan, Acura, Buick, Yugo, SEAT, Peaugot, Fiat together, I don't care. We are here to share and decipher the sales and try to form conclusions.

You can add Buick and Caddy.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-24-09 at 01:29 PM.

Old 09-24-09, 01:35 PM
LexFather

" Yo SICK I know you compiled that list and all and Ima let you finish but my new list is one of the greatests lists of all time"

Old 09-24-09, 02:09 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Thanks for proving my point, you are here to argue only. Your posts have been reviewed, you come here to ARGUE and below is another example of such.
Actually I used to come here and post thread after countless thread related to new information on various different car brands. And you have the nerve to try to manipulate reality and try to make me look like some kind of troll that only came here to argue? nice try. One only has to look through all of my posts/threads on here to know the truth.

Don't try to be cute using our "sense of community". If you had any SENSE you would have READ my disclaimer where I say my list is INFORMATIONAL only and things may not be where you like them.
Ohhhh, "your list". I didn't realize you owned the rights to it. I thought it was simply a list of information based upon fact. Excuse me, I didn't know you owned it, my bad.

How about next month you compile the sales list and compile the way you see fit?

My ES+IS+HS seems to have caused you heart burn.
Not really. I was simply suggesting that if that philosophy is to be applied to the entry level market, then that same philosophy should be applied to GM and the fact that BOTH of their luxury brands combined are currently #3 in luxury sales YTD and are nipping at the heals of both Lexus & BMW. Sorry you don't like facts. I do.

Are you mad your favorite brand can't be given away with 0%? IT IS INFORMATIONAL. Add anything you want. You could add yugo sales, that is fine.

Again you CONVENIENTLY OMITTED my "Disclaimer" that this is how I compile the list.
I really could care less about "your disclaimer". It really means nothing to me. I only care about facts, not your opinion about sales goals and whatever other nonsense you threw in there. I was simply responding to the list that was posted regarding the YTD luxury sales for 2009. My response was based upon fact, not disclaimers, opinions, or anything else. The fact is, Cadillac & Buick combined place GM at #3 in YTD luxury sales for 2009. Care to dispute that fact? go right ahead. But please, come up with a better argument than "most people do not consider Buick a luxury brand".
Old 09-24-09, 02:15 PM
LexFather

In regards to Buick, you are asking me to prove it isn't luxury, when YOU have to prove it is. Are are going to tell us when people think luxury, they think Buick?

My reasoning for it being luxury (not sure why we are arguing as I was one of the few here saying its luxury) is it has the same features Acura does and Acura is a luxury brand. So why not Buick? Outside of a few, buick is NOT seen as a luxury brand. They are not even INCLUDED on polls and surveys with luxury brands, not on JP Power of the Luxury institute.

So YOU prove YOUR point.

" Yo SICK I know you compiled that list and all and Ima let you finish but my new list is one of the greatests lists of all time"

Thanks for arguing here again....

Last edited by LexFather; 09-24-09 at 02:23 PM.

Old 09-24-09, 02:47 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

In regards to Buick, you are asking me to prove it isn't luxury, when YOU have to prove it is. Are are going to tell us when people think luxury, they think Buick?
I agree with you Mike. Buick is an in-betweener just like Mercury (GM still doesn't get it, let's have Buick compete with Cadillac). Chevy is the mainstream brand/division, Cadillac is the luxury division and Buick is an in-betweener and not full on luxury. Buick would be like tier 4 or 5 near luxury but not full on luxury. With Ford, Mercury never really took off. Now it's Ford as the mainstream brand/division and Lincoln as the luxury division...
Old 09-24-09, 03:31 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

My reasoning for it being luxury (not sure why we are arguing as I was one of the few here saying its luxury) is it has the same features Acura does and Acura is a luxury brand. So why not Buick? Outside of a few, buick is NOT seen as a luxury brand. They are not even INCLUDED on polls and surveys with luxury brands, not on JP Power of the Luxury institute.

So YOU prove YOUR point.
It's interesting how you now consider it to be luxury, when you just said earlier in the thread that most people do not consider it to be luxury. I guess you're in the minority, eh? The fact that you even included it on "your list" (and do so every single month without objection from anyone) shows that at least you and everyone else on this board considers it to be a luxury brand, right? Again, I'd like to see the facts that show that most people do not consider Buick to be a luxury brand. Have any?

Buick is entry level luxury, like it or not. It's not BMW, but it's still a luxury brand. Like I pointed out, Cadillac & Buick combined place GM in the #3 spot on the list of top selling luxury brands for 2009 (fact). After the new Lacrosse takes off, GM may very well be able to ****** up the top spot for 2009.. should be an interesting finish to the year for sure.
Old 09-24-09, 04:09 PM
LexFather

It's interesting how you now consider it to be luxury, when you just said earlier in the thread that most people do not consider it to be luxury. I guess you're in the minority, eh? The fact that you even included it on "your list" (and do so every single month without objection from anyone) shows that at least you and everyone else on this board considers it to be a luxury brand, right? Again, I'd like to see the facts that show that most people do not consider Buick to be a luxury brand. Have any?

don't have to show ANYTHING when YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO PROVE YOUR POINT. Again, you conveniently dismiss the LINKS I PROVIDED where GM is ATTEMPTING to position Buick upward. YOU HAVEN'T BACKED ANY CLAIMS UP. Instead you provide jibber jabber and try to dismiss my points. You again conviently do not admit that JD POWER and THE LUXURY INSTITUTE do NOT include BUICK in luxury polls. Here is another link you won't bother to read.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-3-lexus.html

-- Luxury Automobiles

-- Porsche-7.70

-- Mercedes-7.53

-- Lexus-7.39

-- Ultra-Luxury Automobiles

-- Maybach-7.93

-- Rolls-Royce-7.86

-- Bentley-7.73

I've made my points, I've provided facts and proof. If THEY (the paid experts) don't think so fine, I DO. So YES I am in the minority here.

Buick is entry level luxury, like it or not. It's not BMW, but it's still a luxury brand. Like I pointed out, Cadillac & Buick combined place GM in the #3 spot on the list of top selling luxury brands for 2009 (fact). After the new Lacrosse takes off, GM may very well be able to ****** up the top spot for 2009.. should be an interesting finish to the year for sure.

Seriously, are you drunk? I am one of the few that will call Buick luxury, entry level luxury. Why are you disagreeing with me? If we are going to call FWD Acuras and no V-8s luxury or entry level luxury and thats all they offer mainly well then Buick should be one too. That is my reasoning. You also may want to read in the big buick attacks Lexus ad thread, the Lacrosse is doing "okay" and so far ES buyers have ignored it according to Edmunds.

Your problem is with me. Period.

You are really good at arguing. You have no proof or facts to back up your claims and then ask the opposing side to present theirs. lol

When the opposing side provides links facts and proof, you ignore it and continue your rubbish claims.

Again, you came here to argue.

Old 09-24-09, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Buick is entry level luxury, like it or not.
like acura.
Old 09-30-09, 11:15 PM
LexFather

BMW poised to top Lexus in luxury car sales
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

Detroit -- BMW AG wants a new American title: top-selling luxury brand.

The German automaker is just a couple thousand unit sales behind perennial leader Lexus, and BMW executives think they can overtake the brand by the end of the year.

"We're really breathing down Lexus' neck," said Jim O'Donnell, CEO of BMW Group's North American sales operation, during an Automotive Press Association luncheon Tuesday.

Advertisement

"We were slightly ahead of Lexus (in sales) until July," he said. "But we expect business to pick up and have a strong fourth quarter. We could catch them."

Through August, BMW has sold 129,176 vehicles; Lexus has sold 131,469, according to Autodata Corp.

Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus has been the top selling luxury carmaker in the U.S. for the past nine years.

George Augustaitis, a market analyst with CSM Worldwide in Northville, said BMW has been working to expand its brand and has a lot of product offerings. "That's really helped them close the gap with Lexus," he said.

The economic upheaval could help BMW outsell Lexus by the end of the year, he said.

"I think it would be a big deal for the luxury segment," he said.

Augustaitis said he expects luxury vehicle sales to climb next year, as long as the economy improves, much the same way pickup sales can be predicted by housing construction.

"The luxury segment should see a little bit of a rebound," he said. "This is a segment that is very much in line with how the overall economy is doing."
Pent-up demand fuels sales

BMW has weathered the automotive sales catastrophe of 2009 better than many automakers, and O'Donnell said there are signs sales will increase through the rest of the year.

He estimated luxury segment sales should jump by about 15 percent next year.

"There is a huge pent-up demand," O'Donnell said. "(Customers) have held onto cars a lot longer then they're used to."

BMW's dealers are reporting an increase in traffic, in part because of the popular federal "cash for clunkers" program. Although the program was not intended to sell luxury vehicles, it brought customers into showrooms. BMW sold 1,400 vehicles through the program.

To qualify for the Car Allowance Rebate System, vehicles had to meet certain gas mileage requirements and could not cost more than $45,000. Most luxury vehicles and many BMWs have price tags far north of that.

The automaker and its Japanese rival both took hits in August sales. BMW brand sales were down 24.5 percent, compared to the same month in 2008. Lexus sales fell 22 percent.

While many auto factories in America have closed for extended periods or had limited-production runs, BMW has managed to keep its Spartanburg, S.C., plant running at full capacity, building the X5 SUV and Z4 roadster.

BMW exports 70 percent of the vehicles produced at the Spartanburg plant.

"We're the largest vehicle exporter in the U.S. to non-NAFTA countries," said Robert Hitt, a BMW spokesman.

http://detnews.com/article/20090902/...xury+car+sales

Old 09-30-09, 11:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read that piece a while back...we'll see, are the numbers being released tomorrow?
Old 09-30-09, 11:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I read that piece a while back...we'll see, are the numbers being released tomorrow?
The Cash-For-Clunkers effect will surely be a big issue.