Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Poor Economy Takes its Toll on Acura's Product Plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 09:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura can't keep looking back and guessing what economy cars (RSX, etc.) it should have retained, that will just drag them down. Especially if they are talking a game or hoping to become a tier 1 premium car maker. At best their latest moves just solidify their successful mid-level position as a car maker. Let's hope they can show a few improved products that might entice premium car buyers. The RL isn't close to having an impact, if the sales get any lower they might go negative.
Old 09-01-09, 10:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

Acura's memo sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher talking (first 40 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUyLwXhqlWU
Old 09-01-09, 10:21 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
From a Accord chassis to a Civic?

What a downgrade...
I'm pretty sure the RSX has always been Civic-based.
Old 09-01-09, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike there is no hope, let it go . It will just be Honda plus and nothing really wrong with that, expect maybe they should quit and just call them all Hondas.

Let what go? I'm not sure I follow you.

Of course, to be honest, I'm not really that much of an Acura fan with their newest products, except, of course, the RL.....and that, mostly because of its tank-like build quality more than performance. The last-generation TSX and TL were nice cars, but, IMO, have been cheapened (and uglified) in their newest versions, except for the AWD option.
Old 09-01-09, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Acura can't keep looking back and guessing what economy cars (RSX, etc.) it should have retained, that will just drag them down.
Agreed, but that isn't quite the point I was making. Acura really had a superb small car, quality-wise, in the third-generation Integra, and its styling wasn't bad either.

I agree you can't keep the same car and styling forever, but Acura, when replacing it with the RSX, should have, on the RSX, at least kept the third-generation Integra's materials and build quality. Too bad it didn't. One of my friends has an Integra from back in that generation, and still runs and operates like a brand-new car. I get to drive it sometimes, as a designated driver, when he drinks on Friday nights (I'm a non-drinker).

Now, that's not to say that the RSX was a bad car.....it wasn't, and did retain the Integra's same smooth engines and super-slick manual transmissions. But the interior, sheet metal, and general build quality were a noticeable step down, especially on the dash.

The RL isn't close to having an impact, if the sales get any lower they might go negative.
The RL does sell significantly here in the D.C. area, but I agree it is doing poorly nationwide.
Old 09-01-09, 03:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The RL does sell significantly here in the D.C. area, but I agree it is doing poorly nationwide.
All 100 units probably sold in DC last month, unfortunate for Acura. If the sales get any lower, they won't be measurable. Around here I see more Bentley coupes and AM Vantages than RL's.
Old 09-01-09, 03:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, but that isn't quite the point I was making. Acura really had a superb small car, quality-wise, in the third-generation Integra, and its styling wasn't bad either.

I agree you can't keep the same car and styling forever, but Acura, when replacing it with the RSX, should have, on the RSX, at least kept the third-generation Integra's materials and build quality. Too bad it didn't. One of my friends has an Integra from back in that generation, and still runs and operates like a brand-new car. I get to drive it sometimes, as a designated driver, when he drinks on Friday nights (I'm a non-drinker).

Now, that's not to say that the RSX was a bad car.....it wasn't, and did retain the Integra's same smooth engines and super-slick manual transmissions. But the interior, sheet metal, and general build quality were a noticeable step down, especially on the dash.
Yes, back in the good old days I had an Integra, a very good car with excellent reliability. But that kind of car (Integra/RSX, ignoring the dated styling because that can always be updated) isn't part of the premium car business model that Acura is trying (with limited success) to execute on.

And let's be realistic, these cars were junk from a safety standpoint by today's safety standards.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-01-09 at 03:54 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-01-09, 03:52 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

my 14yr old integra still runs great i'm never going to sell this car!
Old 09-01-09, 03:54 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Yes, Yes, Yes the RSX is coming back wahoo. Now hopefully they make it a mix of the last RSX with a little bit of benz CLC thrown in to make it appeal to young car shoppers who want a luxury car.
Old 09-01-09, 07:14 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Do the brilliant geniuses at Acura still think that grill was a good idea?
Old 09-01-09, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, back in the good old days I had an Integra, a very good car with excellent reliability. But that kind of car (Integra/RSX, ignoring the dated styling because that can always be updated) isn't part of the premium car business model that Acura is trying (with limited success) to execute on.

And let's be realistic, these cars were junk from a safety standpoint by today's safety standards.
Not really. Much of the newer safety stuff that matters (ABS, dual front air bags, VSC) had been developed in the mid-late 1980's, and were pretty well-phased-in by the mid 1990's or so. Today's cars may have a few more air bags in the side doors/curtain-level, and some more electronic stuff like Brake Assist, Electronic Brake Distributuion, Lane-Change Departure Warning, Distance-Following Cruise Control, etc.... but most of the really important safety features had been developed by the 1990's.
Old 09-01-09, 10:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not really. Much of the newer safety stuff that matters (ABS, dual front air bags, VSC) had been developed in the mid-late 1980's, and were pretty well-phased-in by the mid 1990's or so. Today's cars may have a few more air bags in the side doors/curtain-level, and some more electronic stuff like Brake Assist, Electronic Brake Distributuion, Lane-Change Departure Warning, Distance-Following Cruise Control, etc.... but most of the really important safety features had been developed by the 1990's.
Yes really, the RSX and especially the Integra had very little of this equipment mentioned and more importantly lacked the structural integrety to get the high crash test ratings from either the NHTSA or Insurance Institute of Highway safety. In short not nearly as safe as the cars in 2009.

Development is one thing, including it as safety equipment in affordable cars is another and good strides have been made since early 2000's in that regard.
Old 09-02-09, 12:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Getting rid of the Integra was FAR worse. The RSX couldn't measure up to the Integra in several ways.

If you want a luxury car with the build quality of both a Swiss Watch and a tank, it's hard to beat an RL.
Agreed, living up to the Integra standard was a tough act to follow. And I think half of what was lost with the RSX was in the name. When Acura changed over to initials, they lost several years of brand equity and indentity that they could never recover. Taking great selling cars that are widely sought after and killing their names is very risky business.

As far as the swiss knife and tank thought. I can think of several, but the A6 comes to mind. It's built like a tank and uses very high quality materials. I haven't driven a new RL, so I can't really comment on it's dynamic.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 09-02-09 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

For me personally, I think the turning point for the worst as far as Acura is concerned is when they introduce the Acura SLX. I am not sure how many of you guys remember that SUV, but it was basically a rebadged Isuzu Trooper. I test drove that SUV and lost a lot of confidence in Acura after that. The MDX which was introduce later was much better, but lacks in quality. With the exception of the RL, the whole Acura lineup have been lower and lower in quality year after year.
Old 09-02-09, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes really, the RSX and especially the Integra had very little of this equipment mentioned and more importantly lacked the structural integrety to get the high crash test ratings from either the NHTSA or Insurance Institute of Highway safety. In short not nearly as safe as the cars in 2009.

Development is one thing, including it as safety equipment in affordable cars is another and good strides have been made since early 2000's in that regard.
You may have a point about crash test ratings, but the later (3rd-gen)Integra models, considering they were entry-level vehicles (by Acura standards) were pretty well-equpped, safety-wise. I agree with you that the earlier 1st and 2nd-gen models were not. The 3rd-gen Integra also impressed me quite a bit with the quality/durability of its interior materials and hardware. As I mentioned above, a friend of mine has has one that still drives, operates, and feels like a new car.....better than a number of today's brand-new ones.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-09 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Poor Economy Takes its Toll on Acura's Product Plans