Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: VW To Kill Porsche Panamera, Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 06:47 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Panamera tries too hard to "look like and drive like a Porsche" and fails at the same time.

How does it fail? Most reviews have commented on the superb handling given the high weight factor of this machine. A modern and heavy four-door sports sedan will possibly never really drive and handle the same was a modern two-door coupe does.

I'm curious. Have you drive the Panamera? How do you know it doesn't drive like a real Porsche.
Old 09-01-09, 08:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is really true, fine with me.

I don't doubt that the Panamera drives very well, considering the huge engineering costs and manufacturing costs, no surprise at all. The Cayene is just lame.

The "fake" styling of both of these vehicles makes no sense to me. I've owned several Porsches but have no interest in these 2 vehicles.
Old 09-01-09, 08:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
How does it fail? Most reviews have commented on the superb handling given the high weight factor of this machine. A modern and heavy four-door sports sedan will possibly never really drive and handle the same was a modern two-door coupe does.

I'm curious. Have you drive the Panamera? How do you know it doesn't drive like a real Porsche.
Basic physics.

A speedboat is sportier than a cruise ship...

Now, don't get me wrong. I believe Porsche can make the Panamera handle like crazy (as proven by driving reviews by many automotive sources and magazines). But does it handle as well as any of their coupes in comparison? I don't think so.
Old 09-01-09, 08:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like theres a lot of internal hostility withing VW.
Old 09-01-09, 08:20 AM
Pitman
Rookie

Smart move axing the Panamera, but foolish move killing the Cayenne. Granted when I think of Porsche, I see 911, but those SUVs seem to be selling good so why stop shop.
Old 09-01-09, 08:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

This entire thing has been like watching two eight year old girls fight on the playground.

Just when you think that the upper brass of ANY company should be mature and level headed, VW goes and pulls a stunt like this. I guess that considering the course of action over the last few months this shouldn't surprise anyone. Porsche is now being treated like the red headed step child...
Old 09-01-09, 09:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The tables really turned on Porsche, financially that is.
Old 09-01-09, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree that dumping the Cayenne is probably a mistake.

Yeah, I was one of those who thought the Cayenne, from a sports-car company, was an abomination when Porsche developed it. But, like with BMW X3 and X5, there is no denying its sales sucess, despite its high price (loaded Cayenne turbo, like the 911 turbo, can well over 100K). I can understand VW's (possible) concern at the Cayenne eating into upper-level Touraeg sales as a reason for canning it, but the Touraeg is actually more of a car-based, hard-core off-roader (one of the few car-based, unibody vehicles that are). The Cayenne, by contrast, will hold its own off-road to an extent, but is clearly more of a high-performance, Porsche-like (of course ) SUV. So, as I see it, the two don't impact on each other's sales.
Old 09-01-09, 04:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting that both Cayenne and Toureg sales are very weak. Both are grossly overweight and unattractive. What used to be a lucrative segment for both companies is now fading beyond the rate that can be blamed on the recession.
Old 09-01-09, 04:25 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The Cayenne & Toureg were jointly developed by VW & Porsche sharing the same platform. The base Cayenne comes with a VW V-6. The Cayenne is extremely capable offroad with tire selection the biggest potential weakpoint. I have driven every model of Cayenne on Autocross courses & the handling capabilites there are astonding. The Toureg drives very similar in normal street driving. The Cayenne was made because 1 out of every 5 Porsche owners also owns a SUV
Old 09-01-09, 04:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I really never considered the Cayenne a true Porsche.

The Panamera tries too hard to "look like and drive like a Porsche" and fails at the same time.

I wouldn't mourn the loss for Porsche losing their sedan and SUV...
What do you mean the Panamera fails?
What does it fail at, looking like a Porsche or driving like a Porsche?
Do you really mean it fails at being a 911?
That would be true since it's not a 911 but otherwise it looks like a Porsche family member and as for how it drives, you can't have an opinion on something you don't know about.
So how does it fail at being a Porsche when the Porsche company built it?
Old 09-01-09, 04:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That's a lot of questions, not sure what for.

Yes it looks somewhat like a Porsche, except that it's ugly. The fake Porsche styling does not work well with an oversized front-engined car or SUV, that's the short answer. The basic and classic shapes of the 911/Boxster/Caymen cars are dictated by the configurations (rear-engined, mid-engined), not to mention they are not overweight/oversized.

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-01-09 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 05:58 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Yes it looks somewhat like a Porsche, except that it's ugly. The fake Porsche styling does not work well with an oversized front-engined car or SUV, that's the short answer. The basic and classic shapes of the 911/Boxster/Caymen cars are dictated by the configurations (rear-engined, mid-engined), not to mention they are not overweight/oversized.
I refered to Porsche's as overrated VW's until I drove a 2000 model, & still don't think any Porsche is the best looking in its class. To me the beauty is way more than skin deep & form follows function
Old 09-01-09, 08:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Fake Porsche styling............from the Porsche company. Sounds so silly.
Old 09-01-09, 08:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Driving the 2011 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid, 2010 Cayenne 3.0 TDI
Green Car Advisor in Chief John O'Dell had a chance to drive the 2011 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid and a European-spec 2010 Porsche Cayenne 3.0 TDI back to back in Southern California last week.

It was a revealing experience, as the Cayenne Hybrid is actually the quicker of these two, with a claimed 0-to-60-mph time of 6.5 seconds. It's also more fuel-efficient with an estimated 27-mpg combined fuel economy rating. To review, the hybrid Cayenne uses a 333-hp 3.0-liter supercharged V6 adapted from the Audi S4, an eight-speed automatic transmission, and a 288-volt Ni-MH battery pack powering a 38-kW electric motor. John says the hybrid system feels like a more powerful, and smarter, version of Honda's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system.

The downside is that the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid will probably cost about $70K when it arrives in the U.S. next spring. A diesel Cayenne would be much cheaper, John notes, but Porsche still hasn't made a decision to import it here. Naturally, that would necessitate a whole bunch of added emissions equipment.

The Cayenne 3.0 TDI is also slower (8.5 seconds to 60) and less efficient (24 mpg), but it would be John's pick of these two, given the projected $15K savings.
Interesting.

Quick Reply: Report: VW To Kill Porsche Panamera, Cayenne