Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Politician who cracked down on speeding arrested for killing biker in road rage incid

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 06:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.
Old 09-03-09, 07:11 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
a good lawyer will egt this case reduced or thrown out all together. The driver ( killer) can just claim that the bike rider was going to hurt hi, him and claim anything happened that will help his case. This will probably be one of those unfortunate events where the driver will get a light sentence or massively reduced sentence because he was claiming self defense.
You solved the case so fast...way to go!
Old 09-03-09, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
a good lawyer will egt this case reduced or thrown out all together. The driver ( killer) can just claim that the bike rider was going to hurt hi, him and claim anything happened that will help his case. This will probably be one of those unfortunate events where the driver will get a light sentence or massively reduced sentence because he was claiming self defense.
You're basing this assumption, though, on the limited amount of what we know from the posted article, which, as I pointed out before, is deficient in several areas. The full investigation will probably produce a clearer picture (with more witnesses) of what actually happened than a simple aticle with a couple of paragraphs. And, as far as "good lawyers" go, don't forget that the defendent, in this case, was a State Attorney General......the highest-ranking lawyer in the state.
Old 09-03-09, 07:39 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The article is really one sided. The biker was arrested for causing a disturbance at his girlfriends place after drinking (he was known to have alcohol problems) shortly beforehand.
Once they collided (probably due to the bike drivers fault), the biker started to attack the guy driving the car.
Here is what people witnessed:
Police have seized a number of video surveillance tapes from the stretch of Bloor Street where the confrontation occurred and are examining them frame-by-frame to confirm the accuracy of witness accounts that have suggested the cyclist may have been trying to get Bryant into a headlock and that the two may have been wrestling for control of the wheel.
The driver of the car was at a dinner with his wife beforehand, and he had not been drinking.

Not saying it was justified, but I can totally understand the reaction considering what the biker did. I would have feared for my safety and tried to disable him/get away if he had me in a headlock!

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...eppard523.html
Old 09-03-09, 09:15 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're basing this assumption, though, on the limited amount of what we know from the posted article, which, as I pointed out before, is deficient in several areas. The full investigation will probably produce a clearer picture (with more witnesses) of what actually happened than a simple aticle with a couple of paragraphs. And, as far as "good lawyers" go, don't forget that the defendent, in this case, was a State Attorney General......the highest-ranking lawyer in the state.
Sorry, Mike but they're Provinces up here not states.

But for all of you that are making self-defense assumptions based on US law....it doesn't apply the same way up here. This crime, yes crime, happened in Canada and will be prosecuted under our laws. I still think the eventual outcome will be a joke anyways, but he won't get off on a straight self-defense argument.