Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Look: Hyundai Equus Walkaround and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 07:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
What???? I did not take a jab at Lexus & Lexus owners with my comment. What a ridiculous accusation & poor attempt to set me up.. I've been a Lexus owner twice over ( 97 ES300 & 98 GS400) before you even got your drivers license.
Right, so if my wife is Jewish, does that give me an excuse to make anti-semitic comments? See the analogy?

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Another attempt to set me up. I've been a member here since 2004, & contributed more to this community local & otherwise than you! How many meets have you attended or hosted Och?? Zero! I really do not need to explain myself to you anyways so I will not waste my time with the back and forth internet banter with you. This is about the Hyundai Equus. If you have an issue with me use the pm.
I never claimed to have contributed anything, but like I said, all I see you do on this forum is take constant jabs at Lexus.
Old 09-03-09, 08:36 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus was a value luxury brand 20 years ago, but not anymore. it just lacks prestige when comparing against MB and BMW, but it doesn't mean it's a value brand.
Old 09-03-09, 08:52 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shyguy16
guess he didn't watch the commercials.

it's hyun-day, like sunday.
There are many different pronunciations of it. Though officially, the correct pronunciation though (based on what I found on the internet is):

Hyeondae (현대)

P.S.
Though for most of us in the Philippines, we were already accustomed to pronouncing it as "Hyun Die".

Hehe :P
Old 09-03-09, 09:15 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
P.S.
Though for most of us in the Philippines, we were already accustomed to pronouncing it as "Hyun Die".

Hehe :P
So are many of us here in the states who've had the 'pleasure' of owning one.
Old 09-03-09, 09:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
So are many of us here in the states who've had the 'pleasure' of owning one.
Hehe

Actually, I'm guessing that we got the "Hyun Dai" from the way we pronounce DAI (like how the Japanese say "Dai Ichi" - Die Itchy :P)

So yeah, that's how we got it.

As for hun day, I'm guessing it's how they pronounce it over there in Australia.

Though in reality, the Koreans would really say "Hyeondae" hehe
Old 09-03-09, 03:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hyundai the company will compete against the likes of Honda/Toyota/Nissan very very well in next decade, possibly even overtaking them. "Hyundai" the nameplate will NEVER compete with Lexus/BMW/MB no matter what happens. Hyundai can dump all the Equus and Genesis' it wants on the US shores all to raise the bar for and perception for the lower models (Sonata, Elantra, etc.), but it will never compete name to name with Lexus.

Come up with a different nameplate, a different dealership network of service levels, and true market segregation, then we'll talk about passing Lexus.
Old 09-03-09, 03:54 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
what was with that "other car makers better watch out... ESPECIALLY Lexus" comment at the end? Why only lexus and not BMW/etc?
i was thinking the same s!@#, when the genesis first came out, guess who they target first and its in writing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N14X...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNmbf...eature=related
right now, anything that have an comparo to Hun-Day, is always vs Lexus but nobody else...ok btw i wonder was that an ES in the background before the drove off
Old 09-03-09, 04:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Och and Dashocker, please exit this thread.

I advise you both to read the sense of community sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 09-03-09, 04:54 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Diemellz
i was thinking the same s!@#, when the genesis first came out, guess who they target first and its in writing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N14X...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNmbf...eature=related
right now, anything that have an comparo to Hun-Day, is always vs Lexus but nobody else...ok btw i wonder was that an ES in the background before the drove off
that was an ES. i wonder whose it is?...

even though it has made huge strides in the last several years, hyundai still has a bit ways more to go before it can compete w/ lexus. they might have well-engineered and well-built cars, but no one is going to forget that "hyundai" is synonymous with "cheap" in the near future.

it took the japanese brands a while for them to become accepted in the US as legitimate car makers - japanese cars were considered a joke in the very early days (when the american brands were still king).

also, it took lexus and (to a lesser extent) acura roughly a decade before they became competitive in the luxury segment, and that was after their parent corporations established them as "independent" luxury brands.
Old 09-03-09, 06:08 PM
L&E
Driver

Here's another look at the Equus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFqBdgKi2UQ

I think it looks incredible, inside anyway
Old 09-03-09, 08:25 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uh, does that mean you hate it?
Basically, in a word , yes. Who ever designed it needs a slap. Other than that, I would consider it if I was in the market for a $40K car of that size, b/c I don't see changing my mind from buying an S class or a Lexus LS anytime soon.
Old 09-04-09, 11:21 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
Lexus was a value luxury brand 20 years ago, but not anymore.
isn't Lexus ONLY 20 years old???
Old 09-04-09, 11:22 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That Equus looks nice, good thing it doesn't have Hyndai Logo anywhere. The test driver was total loser, doesn't know crap about cars...
Old 09-05-09, 02:00 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Assuming this car is reliable and priced at least $20k less than a similarly equipped LS460, I would purchase it instead of the Lexus when buying my next vehicle. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, as we dont know how quiet and smooth the car is, but it just looks so impressive. The V8 and air suspension were clear indications who Hyundai is targeting with this new model.

Well played Hyundai...well played indeed.

My only gripe is that they could be a bit more original rather than just ripping off Lexus at every turn. I mean, come on...those tail pipes, the "VX460 model number". Even the name Equus, sounds like Lexus.

Last edited by drink300; 09-05-09 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-05-09, 06:09 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Hyundai will definitely have to do something about their dealership network to somewhat improve the experience.

As far as their competition goes, I can see Hyundai easily surpassing Acura and Honda. With some of Honda's recent controversial (aka ugly) designs, it's like they're giving their spot up to Hyundai.

Quick Reply: First Look: Hyundai Equus Walkaround and Drive