Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Look: Hyundai Equus Walkaround and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 12:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Basically, in a word , yes. Who ever designed it needs a slap. Other than that, I would consider it if I was in the market for a $40K car of that size, b/c I don't see changing my mind from buying an S class or a Lexus LS anytime soon.
you appear to have a lot more disposable income than most (more power to ya! ), but if someone's considering say a GS, or 5 series and finds they can afford an Equus, well, that's where it gets interesting.
Old 09-05-09, 02:14 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you appear to have a lot more disposable income than most (more power to ya! ), but if someone's considering say a GS, or 5 series and finds they can afford an Equus, well, that's where it gets interesting.
And that's probably the rationale behind the car. Why should those with wealth have all the fun?
Old 09-06-09, 01:03 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I make enough to buy a new Genesis every month, but I'm still really interested in the Equus. I sat in one at a Korean auto show, so I can't wait to test drive one.
Old 10-19-10, 12:07 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Price

Hyundai Motor America today announced pricing for the all new 2011 Hyundai Equus luxury sedan, which will go on sale nationwide in December.

The 2011 Equus will hit dealerships in 2 configuration including Equus Signature and Equus Ultimate. Both will be powered by a 4.6L Tau V8 making 385-hp and a peak torque of 333 lb-ft of torque (378-hp / 324 lb-ft using regular fuel) mated to a ZF 6-speed automatic.

Prices for the 2011 Hyundai Equus Signature will start at $58,000 while the Hyundai Equus Ultimate will start at $64,500. Up to $64,500 for a Hyundai? How does the Korean automaker plan on justifying such a price tag?

“We’re confident that smart luxury buyers will discover that Equus competes well with similar flagship products from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi and Lexus,” said John Krafcik, Hyundai Motor America president and CEO. “But the traditional luxury brands simply can’t compete with the unique retail and ownership experience we’ll be providing for the Equus owner, including “Your Time, Your Place,” the industry’s first at-home vehicle demonstration program; the “At Your Service” program, which provides complimentary valet at-home pickup and no-charge maintenance for five years or 60,000 miles; and the industry’s first Apple iPad-based interactive owner’s manual.”

Hyundai plans on selling 45,000 units annually.
Old 10-19-10, 12:17 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely interesting. It does get a little annoying to go to stealerships for service/repairs. It may work or it may backfire. I like Hyundai for making such bold moves.
Old 10-19-10, 12:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

45K? Ambitious!
Old 10-19-10, 12:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
I like Hyundai for making such bold moves.
It's a great marketing tool.

Surprise everyone. Even if it doesn't break records or sales forecasts, at least everyone has taken notice.

Free advertising at its best. Magazines and forums and fanbois have a lot to say...
Old 10-19-10, 12:44 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
45K? Ambitious!
That's gotta be a misprint. I thought they were aiming for 2K a year. Even the Genesis sedan AND coupe just broke 3K per month only recently.

IMHO, they priced it too high. Not when $72K LS460s are actually selling for $59K. They're going to have some massive discounts (like Lexus) to compete (against Lexus). Even the Genesis owners don't see much value from the V8 Genesis (which shares the same engine/transmission) to the Equus.

The free maintainance is a nice surprise.
Old 10-19-10, 12:47 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
That's gotta be a misprint. I thought they were aiming for 2K a year. Even the Genesis sedan AND coupe just broke 3K per month only recently.

IMHO, they priced it too high. Not when $72K LS460s are actually selling for $59K. They're going to have some massive discounts (like Lexus) to compete (against Lexus). Even the Genesis owners don't see much value from the V8 Genesis (which shares the same engine/transmission) to the Equus.

The free maintainance is a nice surprise.
No, it says it on the main site, 45k. They're nuts. :~D

At that price, I don't see anything that would make me say I need to buy this versus Lexus, Audi or Benz.

And it only comes in four colors? three for the interior. ugh

COLORS

Equus offers four exterior color choices and three interior theme choices. Exterior colors are White Satin Pearl, Black Noir Pearl, Granite Gray and Platinum Metallic. Interior themes are Cashmere with genuine Birch Burl wood, Jet Black with genuine walnut wood and Saddle with genuine walnut wood.

"At Your Service" Summary

Valet service – The dealership will pickup and deliver the owner's Equus for maintenance, replacement of wear items or warranty work

Replacement vehicle – If alternative transportation is needed while service is being performed, the dealer will provide a Genesis or Equus at no cost

Maintenance – Covers all factory maintenance for the first five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
Wear items – Covers brake pads, brakes discs, wiper blades and battery
Old 10-19-10, 12:57 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb I Know Right?

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
45K? Ambitious!
Nevermind that this is more than the GS & LS sells but also the IS .... they are expecting to sell as much as the ES currently does.
Old 10-19-10, 01:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow Hyundai has lost it. 45K sales goal, and MSRP at 58K?
Old 10-19-10, 01:43 PM
LexFather

That 45k has to be a typo. I am impressed they brought it, hell a lot of luxury brands don't even compete here.

Originally Posted by madoka
IMHO, they priced it too high. Not when $72K LS460s are actually selling for $59K. They're going to have some massive discounts (like Lexus) to compete (against Lexus). .
That is not accurate, Lexus has the lowest discounts

Luxury/Near luxury Incentives YTD

$1,736 - Lexus lowest
$2,614 - Acura
$3,021 - Buick
$4,369 - Chrysler
$4,620 - Cadillac
$5,111 - Infiniti
$5,170 - Lincoln Highest

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...104482689.html

Old 10-19-10, 02:17 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So actually what is its name? Is it the Hyundai Equus, Equus VS460, or Hyundai EquusVS460. Is Equus or VS460 the models' name? On another note, if the Ipad takes a crap on a road trip at 3am, is there a backup hard copy to tell you important info you may need? Curious!!!
Old 10-19-10, 02:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a reference point, 45K units breaks down to 3750 units a month. Average volume for this class seems to be 500-800 depending on the model.

This...will be interesting
Old 10-19-10, 03:16 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is not accurate, Lexus has the lowest discounts
You're comparing company averages and I'm only referring to one particular model: the LS460, which is what the Equus must compete against. I went to truecar.com and see that I can get $10K off retail off the bat without any negotiations. The $13K off was what I was quoted from Longo.

Quick Reply: First Look: Hyundai Equus Walkaround and Drive